Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Restoration Failure(s)

Hi guys-

I do a full backup of my NinjaTrader files every week. Yesterday, I had a problem that required me to erase my entire NT directory (both under program files, and My Documents) and start from scratch. I did so with the confidence that I'd be able to restore my work (months of it).

My first restore took a while - about 3 hours (it's 8.5 GB) - and, at the exact moment of completion, I got a dreaded error.

"Ninjatrader was unable to restore the selected backup archive file: The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E).

No worries, I'll just go to the next backup and restore that one (from last week).

Same result.

I'm going to try backup number three now, but what do you think the chances are that I get a third error? These backups were never moved around - always made to the NT Backup directory.

Advice?

My backups were made using NT version 7.0.1000.2 (Previous), and I was attempting to restore to the upgraded 7.0.1000.4 (Current)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgeorgan; 05-04-2011, 06:14 AM.

Hello

Thank you for your post.

It is not clear from this error message the source of the issue.

So that we can see what might be taking place in the background, please send us your log & trace files for NinjaTrader 7 version 4.

You can find these in your (My) Documents folder in the folders:
    1. NinjaTrader 7 > Trace > trace.YYYYMMDD.txt
    2. NinjaTrader 7 > Log > log.YYYYMMDD.txt

Attach these text (.txt) files to your email and send this to support AT ninjatrader DOT com

Make sure to include a reference to this forum thread.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Quick Update

It appears as if all the chart data and historical data has actually been restored.

The trade database has been restored as well.

No workspaces, custom indicators or strategies remain, however.

Comment

Hello

Without the diagnostic files, I am inclined to believe this is a compatibility issue between version 2 & version 4

From the NinjaTrader 7 Installation Guide: “If you have previously installed a 3rd party commercial indicator or strategy via a vendor provided installer program please uninstall these components via the vendor provided uninstaller or the Windows Control Panel "Uninstall or change a program" (might be named Add/Remove Programs)”

Therefore not all NinjaScript items will be portable over to NinjaTrader 7 version 4 (from version 2).
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
          Hello

Without the diagnostic files, I am inclined to believe this is a compatibility issue between version 2 & version 4

From the NinjaTrader 7 Installation Guide: “If you have previously installed a 3rd party commercial indicator or strategy via a vendor provided installer program please uninstall these components via the vendor provided uninstaller or the Windows Control Panel "Uninstall or change a program" (might be named Add/Remove Programs)”

Therefore not all NinjaScript items will be portable over to NinjaTrader 7 version 4 (from version 2).
          Hey Chip-

I looked through the log files myself, and there wasn't anything written from the installation. There was a hint from my attempt to restore only my most recent database backup (made 5/3), which gave me this error for all of my strategies:

Code:
          5/4/2011 8:36:43 AM|3|4|Unable to restore strategy 'NinjaTrader.Strategy.CRGMomentumSystemFixed' with ID '22e6069f79f143ee84291d53184344c7'. Most likely this strategy no longer is supported by the custom assemblies.
          This is strange - I don't use any 3rd party commercial indicators...all stuff created in NT7 (from back when you guys were still putting the beta out).

Now, here's the strange thing. Once I learned that a lot more of the backup was restored than not, I tried again. Same error I listed above, except this time I flat-out copied my custom strategies and indicators directly into folders before restoring the backup. This time, same error message, but my strategies re-appeared. I then restored the same DB file that gave me the above error, and was then able to recover all previous strategies.

So, in the end I'm a little dumbfounded. I restored everything just fine, albeit with a lot of headaches, time spent and an error message everytime. I'm not sure what else to suggest to you guys to help me help myself - any ideas?

Comment

Hello,

If your up and going then you should be good to go if I understand you correctly.

However if you want to test this further here what I suggest if you are able.

Do a fresh backup of your current setup. Then use another PC and restore this backup. Does it now restore correctly?

I just did a test on my PC and I did not run into any issues.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post jclose
            by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
            10 responses
            0 likes