Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Account Performance tool provides wrong results

Hi everybody,

In my opinion the „Account Performance“ tool is counting a wrong number of trades. So all derived values like averages and percentages are wrong and therefore useless.

NT obviously is counting the number of executions or something else, but not the number of trades. If e.g. in a fast market I order 10 contracts of any future contract and the order gets executed at 5 different price levels due to market action (e.g. 2 contracts at a time at 5 different price levels), NT will display 5 trades instead of 1 trade.

But this is definitely only one trade. A trader wants to order a certain number of contracts/stocks etc. at a time and has no influence on the kind of execution at the exchange. So if the trade doesn’t get executed at once but in pieces, NT shows a wrong number - from a couple of more trades to a multiple of trades over a period of time.

Today e.g. I made 3 dummy-trades and NT displays 10 trades in the summary tab, 14 executions and 7 orders?! For a past period of time I had hundreds of trades, though I make only a couple of trades per day.

To resolve this, I would suggest the following: At the start a trader has no position (flat). When he orders a certain number of contracts/shares, he has a position until he closes the position (flat again). This is one trade.

If a trader reverses a position, this would be a new trade, since he decides to change the original direction of the trade.

If a trader scales in or out (buys additional contracts/shares or sells them) and still has a position in the original direction, this would still be only one trade.

The "Position"-column in the "Executions"-tab works just like this. One has just to count the flat signs (-) (3 in this case).

From this point of view the original reason and the direction of the trade define the number of trades. The number of executions at the exchange, that one can’t influence anyway, plays no role.

To have an “Account Performance Tool” is very useful for a lot of reasons you all already know. But it is useless, until it displays the right numbers.

I added a couple of screensshots to try to make things clearer.
    Attached Files

Thanks for your comments.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Ray,

could you please tell me, if you plan to do anything about this issue? Or could you at least tell me, if you have a different opinion, so I could see, if I'm seeing something wrong here.

I first took notice of NT through Dr. Brett Steenbargers book, where he mentioned NT as an excellent example for a platform providing good statistical data. And I must agree, that the parameters would all be helpful in order to examine ones own trading.

But only and if they are all derived from the right number of trades! Until this tool subdivides single trades into a number of executions it is quite useless.

For examples please see below. Each time one trades a "bigger" number of shares or contracts, the trade is subdivided into executions, which the Account Performance Tool then counts as single "trades". Thus all derived statistics are useless.

(I don't mean to nag. I just try to point out areas where the application is faulty in my opinion. If this topic should already be on some list for future improvements, it would be quite helpful to have a public list of already planed future improvements. This was already asked for several times by different users. It could save yours and the users time regarding maybe unnecessary communication.)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Irukandji, Today, 09:34 AM
      0 responses
      1 view
      0 likes
      Last Post Irukandji  
      Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
      3 responses
      0 likes