Objects on all charts of the same instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Objects on all charts of the same instrument

Hi, first day of using NT8. I want some objects, say, 50 level lines visible on all charts of the same instrument. In NT7 if I draw a horizontal line on a 5M chart (say, GC 12-17) and make it attach to all GC 12-17 charts then whatever workspace I'm in, it will appear, whether I open a new GC 12-17 chart or on an existing chart.

On NT8 however, it seems the line will not be available if I change workspace. It there any way to get around this? I do have some instrument appearing in different workspaces and it will be a huge inconvenience if I have to draw the lines in every single workspace.

Thanks,

Jack

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

Global Drawing objects would be workspace specific in both NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8. I tested this on NinjaTrader 7 and was not able to replicate global drawing objects spanning all workspaces.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
      Hello,

Thanks for posting.

Global Drawing objects would be workspace specific in both NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8. I tested this on NinjaTrader 7 and was not able to replicate global drawing objects spanning all workspaces.
      Thanks for your reply Drew. However what you said about NinjaTrader 7 is not true.

I have been using F2 and F3 to draw support/resistance lines every day for the past year in NT7. They will always appear in the chart when I switch workspace (which is quite often depending on time of the day). My life would've been miserable if I had to redraw them every time I swtich workspace. The same for F12 and Ctrl+F2, Ctrl+F12, etc.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your note.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm seeing this same behavior on my end in NinjaTrader 7 with these particular drawing tools. I'm going to check into this some more on my end to find what's expected and follow up with further information.

Comment

Hi Drew,

I think I found the solution in the user guide. I was too busy to RTFM:

"You can set Global Drawing Objects to be drawn in all currently open workspaces in the General section of the Options window. To access the Options window, select the Tools menu from the Control Center, then select the Options menu item. In the General section of the Options window, enable or disable the "Global drawing objects across workspaces" property."

Voila!

Comment

Hi,

I would like to followup on this topic. I think there is a fundamental difference between the way NT7 handles global objects and that of NT8.

In NT7, I found that if the objects are global, they do NOT depend on workspace. Even if I delete all workspaces, the drawn objects will still be there if I open a new chart (same instrument). This is very useful because sometimes workspaces get corrupt and you want to build a new one from scratch. In NT8 however, if there's no other workspaces as a backup, if you delete one, you lose all the objects drawn on all of the instruments contained in that workspace. This is sad -- you will have to redraw all of them.

Another thing I noticed is, in NT7 if you open a chart in Market Replay, all objects you have drawn in live chart will appear there. In NT8 however, the chart is clean. When I first discovered this I was somewhat delighted, because I do want it to be clean in most cases. However what followed is not pleasant at all: when I come back to live charts with the same instrument again, all objects were gone.

Please, until you come up with a better way to handle this, make global objects independent of workspaces.

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

jackt,

Thanks for your reply.

So far I haven't been able to replicate this on NinjaTrader 8 as long as "Global drawing objects across workspaces" is enabled under Tools -> Options -> General.

So that I may investigate I would ask that you contact me by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. I will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20170823.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day.

Comment

replicating a drawing on another chart in the same workspace

Hi
                On a similar topic...

Am I able to draw an object on one chart and have it automatically replicated in another chart in the same workspace in real time?

I am a discretionary trader - and if I mark up my execution chart it is very convenient to have the same mark up appear in other charts.

many thanks

Comment

Hello lindsayf,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Yes, this would be possible to set the drawing object to show up on all charts by enabling the All charts feature then setting the default.

To do this, double click on a drawing object to open its Properties menu. Next, use the Attach to menu to select All charts > then select the lower right "preset > save" so this will be saved going forward.

Let us know if we may assist further.
                  Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_EricB View Post
                    Hello lindsayf,

Thank you for your post.

Glad to assist. Yes, this would be possible to set the drawing object to show up on all charts by enabling the All charts feature then setting the default.

To do this, double click on a drawing object to open its Properties menu. Next, use the Attach to menu to select All charts > then select the lower right "preset > save" so this will be saved going forward.

Let us know if we may assist further.
                    Hi thanks for replying.
                    There is no 'lower right "preset" option on my object properties box.
                    I use NT8..?
                    thanks

edit: it is template> save..works perfectly many thanks.
                    Last edited by lindsayf; 01-03-2018, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for the oversight, this will actually show as "template" then "save" in the lower right of the Drawing Object properties. See the below section of our help guide for more on setting defaults.

https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...bjectTemplates
                      Eric B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post DJ888
                      by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM