Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconds based charts and ticks

This should be a bug or is by design ?

When you open up for example 1 second bar chart, I want OnBarUpdate be called AT LEAST every second.
    The behaviour now is that its called always for every tick, if there was no tick on some second interval, that second bar will be missed

stormze, the OnBarUpdate realtime behavior is dependent upon your CalculateOnBarClose setting as explained here - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...BarClose1.html
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, I have CalculateOnBarClose = true
      But apparently if there is no ticks coming the OnBarUpdate is not fired... that was the question, Im missing something ?

Comment

Hi stormze, your understanding is correct. A new bar will be build and OnBarUpdate() is fired only when you have ticks coming in.

Comment

Ok but the expected behaviour should be that OnBarUpdate be called on every finished bar (regardless of if there is ticks coming or not), if not the indicators I build would be more like tick indicators.
          Is there any plan to change this ?

Comment

No, there are no plans to change this - if the timestamp of the incoming tick does not fall in the timestamp of the previous bar a new one will be charted, otherwise not. You need to have a fresh tick with a greater timestamp than the last bar coming in.

Comment

Please consider this as a feature request for the future... for liquid symbols is ok but for non liquid ones is impossible to draw bar based real time charts !
              You are assuming that ticks are always faster events than bars...

Comment

stormze,

Not sure I follow. If there is no tick there is no bar. Ticks always come before bars. A bar that has no ticks is not a bar. There is simply nothing there.
                Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                  stormze,
                  Not sure I follow. If there is no tick there is no bar. Ticks always come before bars. A bar that has no ticks is not a bar. There is simply nothing there.
                  Exactly, we are talking about bars with no tick's inside, if I requested 1 second chart I need a bar for every second regarless of ticks.
                  If there is no ticks inside a bar the OHLC values should be all the same values equal to the last price

Comment

No, bars represent actual trades. Showing a dash with OHLC of the last trade is saying there was a trade occuring at that timestamp. NinjaTrader does not fabricate trades when none occurred.

No tick = no bar = nothing changes on the chart. NinjaTrader is bar/tick driven, not time driven.
                    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                      No, bars represent actual trades. Showing a dash with OHLC of the last trade is saying there was a trade occuring at that timestamp. NinjaTrader does not fabricate trades when none occurred.
                      No tick = no bar = nothing changes on the chart. NinjaTrader is bar/tick driven, not time driven.
                      Im not agree !
                      Charts formed by time based bars are time driven, charts based on number of tick are tick driven.
                      Your model is always tick driven but this is not correct, look any other charting software if I want to draw 1 minute bar chart I dont care about trades I want the price consolidated in 1 minute intervals...

Comment

stormze, correct NinjaTrader is a bar driven software - therefore this behaviour is expected.

Comment

There most definitely should be the option in seconds based charts (and minute charts also) to show / not show blank bar spaces where no ticks occur in each particular bars time frame...there are a number of truly excellent (and classic) graphic timing techniques that depend upon regular time being displayed and when empty bars are not shown these techniques simply will not work correctly....I know....I have fussed with this area a lot.....in thinly traded things like TF for example the short term seconds charts simply may not be accurate to apply graphic measuring techniques to...anyone who is trying to use these graphic techniques with tick charts or seconds based charts that do no show time accurately will be at a significant disadvantage....I have gone over this area before with Dierk and it was my understanding this capability was to be added to NT...what is the scoop on this ??

Thanks...
                          Last edited by Alfred; 05-22-2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Alfred, the feature you are looking for will be available with NT7.

Comment

Many thanks Dierk....looking forward to 7....

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes