Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support & Resistance lines move

Hi All,

This maybe a complete a noob question, I have just migrated from another charting software.....so please bear with me.
    I use S&R lines and trend channels frequently - being an intraday trader using the Wykcoff method, they are an extremely important tool. However when doing my analysis and applying my levels before the market opens etc. during the day I may zoom in and out and can see that the S&R lines are not as I put them, when I zoom in and then apply my levels,then continue zoom out to get a bigger picture the bars heads and tails carry over, its far from a flush finish. Hope this makes sense. When I apply these levels on the daily, then zoom it can be out by 3 or 4 points, that is not acceptable. Fortunately as of now its only cost me a few ticks here n there due to intraday levels. This week it has accumulated to 14 ticks (getting filled earlier because of this) again its only 14 ticks, but considering I trade the Es mini with a 20+ clip size, over a year this is significant.
    I'm sure there's a very simple solution, eagerly await a simple solution.

I thought the autoscale within the properties of the lines would work,it doesn't.

Hello dawillsta, and thank you for your question. I am assuming you are drawing support and resistance lines by hand. If this is the case, I would like to recommend you double-click each of your lines and review their data section. This will allow you to enter prices manually for much greater precision than you would have drawing lines by hand.

If you are not drawing lines manually or that doesn't quite hit the mark, or if there are any other related questions we can answer, please let us know so we may assist further.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, but when you apply the lines in this manner, it makes for a messy looking chart - the tops and bottoms of the bar ooze over the lines. I have no idea why? Some of my charts are used in a news letter, its important they look aesthetic. Being said this shouldn't happen anyway. Thank you for the swift response. When I mean ''zoom in'' I move the price axis line. Is there a way of just making the line static, regardless of scale adjustment

Comment

You are correct that drawn lines should never change in value with scaling.

So that I may have a more complete picture of what is happening on your end, would it be possible to use the freely and publicly available screen capture software Jing, https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html , or a similar program which can record video of what is happening on your screen, so that you can show me what is occurring on your end? These quick instructions can get you started with Jing.

1. When you start Jing, a yellow half circle will appear near the top of your screen. Please hover over it with your mouse
        2. A small + sign will extend out of this half circle. Please click on it
        3. When your cursor becomes two intersecting lines, please click and drag your mouse over an area of your screen you would like to record
        4. Please press the film strip button that appears to begin recording
        5. When you are finished recording, please press the square stop button that appears
        6. Please press the share button that appears. It consists of three vertical upward pointing arrows.

You will then have the option to view your video on screencast.com . This is the link which can help me diagnose what is happening on your end. It is possible you will need to set up a free account in order to share videos.

Thank you very much in advance for providing us with this information. If this procedure is not an option for you, or if there are any other questions we can answer, please let us know.

Comment

Thank you for sending the video, dawillsta. I wanted to confirm receipt.

The audio unfortunately cut out in several places, and I was unable to see visually an example of scaling changing the values of a drawn element's endpoints, revealed by double-clicking the drawn element. Could you draw attention to a minute and second number in the video where this occurs?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Mizzouman1  
          Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
          1 response
          0 likes