Ninjatrader 7 works with linux via wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .kypa View Post
    You haven't mentioned plain Wine version you tried in the Gentoo thread - that's why I asked.
    Please review post #9 in the Gentoo thread, wine versions 1.7.47 and 1.7.49.

As of 1.7.49 and current 1.7.51 this is all fixed - FXCM, Continuum, Kinetick end-of-day - all connect just fine, no 32-bit libraries needed. I don't have paid licence or real account though, all I can check are demos.
    I tested both, demo and live accounts. The only difference was the datafeed for the demo account wouldn't connect 20% of the time. I would advise you to get a live account and test everything you plan to use ie datafeeds, strategies, etc...and also test over time. Leave NT7 running continuously for 5 days / 24 hours.

Mono is the free open-source net framework - that is what belongs to Linux, not the Microsoft packages, even though some of their code is open-sourced now. And that is the reason I want it.
    I would advise testing with a proven working method then testing with new variables. Mono will be an added variable since it is the open source implementation of dot net and not fully tested as well as it is not the exact same program required by NT7. Dot net on the other hand is exactly what NT7 requires which means that Wine is the only variable to be tested.

Comment

I thought the 23 August post (where 1.7.47-49 are mentioned) was about Wine-staging and the 29 July about plain Wine.

Ninja available accounts too big for me - I'm still on CFDs and FX minilots. FXCM kinda fits, but too expensive. Their data is excellent however.

I use Ninja only for the second charts, if Metatrader 4 or 5 had at least 15-second native chart I would not use Ninja at all.

I don't really plan trading in Linux until I fix my cpu issue, I'm just curious whether Ninja works here or not.

For the moment Ninja can't run in Mono at all.

Comment

For the moment Ninja can't run in Mono at all.
        I tested Mono via Wine-Staging 1.7.51 and NT7 with the same conditions as dotnet and NT7 did work for the few minutes I tested. I was curious but that is all. I'm not commenting any further.

Comment

Really? That's very good news!

Why didn't you test further?

Comment

Really? That's very good news!

Why didn't you test further?
            Your answer is in post #31, my previous post and I'm not done with my current test.

Comment

I just found out Wine-staging is the default Wine version for Fedora - I've been using Wine-staging all along

What do you mean same conditions as dotnet (for Mono)
              Code:
              sh winetricks -q gdiplus mdac27 mdac28 msftedit msxml4 msxml6 riched20 riched30 vb6run vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun2012
              this?

Comment

I just found out Wine-staging is the default Wine version for Fedora - I've been using Wine-staging all along

What do you mean same conditions as dotnet (for Mono)
                Code:
                sh winetricks -q gdiplus mdac27 mdac28 msftedit msxml4 msxml6 riched20 riched30 vb6run vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun2012
                this?
                Simply replace dotnet35sp1 with mono, follow my installation and follow the rest of the thread.

Comment

"Simply replace dotnet35sp1 with mono, follow my installation and follow the rest of the thread. " - that would be skipping the dotnet installs, which would leave Mono installed, right? I've done that, it doesn't work - Ninja doesn't even start. I tried both with and without mdac, msxml, richedit, vb/vc - same. I tried switching those dll-s to native you recomended - no change.

I installed the Linux Mono package, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Comment

There is a newer version of Winetricks in Github by the way - 26 August 2015.

Comment

"Simply replace dotnet35sp1 with mono, follow my installation and follow the rest of the thread. " - that would be skipping the dotnet installs, which would leave Mono installed, right? I've done that, it doesn't work - Ninja doesn't even start. I tried both with and without mdac, msxml, richedit, vb/vc - same. I tried switching those dll-s to native you recomended - no change.

I installed the Linux Mono package, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it.
                      Mono and dotnet can not be installed at the same time as far as I know which is why the dotnet script un-installs Mono. I'm sorry I can't help any further with Mono, maybe you can be the Mono "expert". I need to stay focused on the dotnet version until I'm finished.

Comment

I just wanted to know what you did that time you tried Ninja in Mono and it worked.

Comment

I just wanted to know what you did that time you tried Ninja in Mono and it worked.
                          I'm not sure what else I can say at this point other than what I have stated in posts 33, 37 and 40.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrooke View Post
                            I tested Mono via Wine-Staging 1.7.51 and NT7 with the same conditions as dotnet and NT7 did work for the few minutes I tested. I was curious but that is all. I'm not commenting any further.
                            I went back through my notes and discovered that I made a mistake.....my prior quote should read...
                            "I tested dotnet45 via Wine-Staging 1.7.51 and NT7 with the same conditions as dotnet35 or dotnet35sp1 and NT7 did work for the few minutes I tested. I was curious but that is all. I'm not commenting any further."
                            I'm sorry for the confusion. I have not tested mono and do not intend to... in this thread. Testing linux, mono and NT7 should have it's own thread.
                            Thanks

Comment

Ninja 8 will probably need .Net 4.5 - I think there was something mentioned in the Ninja 8 threads. Ninja 7 uses only .Net 3.5 I think. And installing 4.5 also installs the 3.5.

I'm not sure I'm the right guy to make a Mono thread - I can't even read the output that Mono gives when trying to run Ninja in it.

Comment

My final entry. See Gentoo link in 1st post for more details.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Sparkyboy, Today, 10:57 AM
                                0 responses
                                1 view
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Sparkyboy  
                                Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                                21 responses
                                0 likes