Placing sell stop order after a price level is touched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing sell stop order after a price level is touched

I want to place a sell stop order only if a market reaches a certain price first. For example, XYZ is currently at $98. If it goes up and hits $100, I want to place an order to short if it falls back down to $99. I want to do this automatically so that I do not have to watch and put in an order manually.
    How can I do that with NinjaTrader ?
    Thank you.

Hello emilien, and thank you for your question.

For this to be automatic, you will have to use a custom strategy, rather than an ATM strategy. I am including a video on custom strategy development here,

Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video is a recording of our live "Automated Strategy Development Level 1" webinar covering the to...

In your case, on the "Stops and Targets" screen of the strategy wizard, you will want to select "add", then add a "Profit Target Total Position (cash)" of 100.0, and a "Stop Loss Total Position (cash)" of 99.0, with "simulated stop" set to "false", pressing "ok" when finished each time.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      However I'm not sure how that will work. It's not that I have a long position and want to set a stop loss when a profit target is reached.
      I want to INITIATE a short position if the stock drops to $99 AFTER it runs to $100. Basically I need NT to monitor the price of the stock to see if it reaches $100 yet. When that happens, place a Sell Stop Market order at $99.
      I use NT 8.

Emilie.

Comment

I think I understand a little more clearly. I believe this is still possible without using NinjaScript directly. However, I would like to provide a link to the Help Guide section on Managed Order Entry in case you decide you would like to implement a more complicated strategy.

I believe you can accomplish this on the Condition Builder page of the Strategy Wizard. I am including a short video where I put together a strategy I believe will meet your goals.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Did this ever get resolved as I don't think that video explained what he/she meant? If able to do it this way, would the variables need to be changed for every position? Also, I trade crude and it trades in .00 format and the variables seem to always round up or down. This is also how I like to enter, in the case of a sell I would have a price I want to trade but I would like it to pass that price by a tick or two, then place stop order, so I enter the market in the opposite direction as it goes back down. Kind of like a breakout/fade type of a strategy. Can you let me know if I can accomplish this. Thanks, have a great day!
          Last edited by jaf1984; 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM. Reason: Edit

Comment

Hello jaf1984,

First, welcome to the NinjaTrader support forums

If you would like to enter at a different point, for instance, the crossover point of another indicator, you can modify the conditions where I have "EntryPosition" and "StopPosition" on the right hand side of a condition in condition builder. You can change this to any user variable, price, indicator crossover point, or any other selection other than "User defined inputs" as I have done for this customer.

If you need more help, you can reach out to us directly at platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, or you may start a new support thread here on the forums.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by elirion, Today, 01:36 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post elirion
            by elirion

Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
            0 responses