Weird behavior with entries per direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
    That setting will allow you to buy twice per instrument. If that is acceptable to you then you are set.
    Ok I think I'm understanding better now.

I do not want twice per instrument. It sounds like EntriesPerDirection is PER INSTRUMENT. Is this correct? If so, and if I never want more than one position per instrument, then Ill leave it at 1.

So with entriesPerDirection=1, my strategy can enter a trade for instrument #1 and then if the criteria is met, enter a trade for instrument #2 (having both open at the same time)? This is what I want. It sounds like I already have it with entriesPerDirection=1..

Comment

EntriesPerDirection depends on what you have EntryHandling set to. If you have it to AllEntries then EntriesPerDirection limits how many entries you can simultaneously have in any give direction. If you have UniqueEntries set then EntriesPerDirection is how many simultaneous entries you can have of a given signal in any given direction.

There is nothing here limiting you by instrument type. You are limited by trade signal with UniqueEntries set.
      Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

EntriesPerDirection depends on what you have EntryHandling set to. If you have it to AllEntries then EntriesPerDirection limits how many entries you can simultaneously have in any give direction. If you have UniqueEntries set then EntriesPerDirection is how many simultaneous entries you can have of a given signal in any given direction.

There is nothing here limiting you by instrument type. You are limited by trade signal with UniqueEntries set.
        Ok I understand it now. Today I had one long open and then a 2nd trade opened for a short. This is why my strategy had 2 positions, one for each instrument.

If the 2nd trade were a long it would have been refused because I already had a long.

It sounds like what I want to do is not supported directly by ninjatrader. I'd like to allow 1 trade per instrument (any direction). So ES long & YM Long, ES Short & YM Short, ES Long & YM Short & ES Short & YM Long. I want all those to be allowed. I do not want to allow 2 ES or 2 YM.

I think I have to code this myself. Please confirm.

I may be a bit dense here but I think the documentation could use some more explanations and examples.

Comment

No. What you are trying to do is completely possible.

EntriesPerDirection = 1
          EntryHandling = UniqueEntries

With UniqueEntries it doesn't care what other positions you have on other trade signals. It only cares for that trade signal. If you were in long with that exact same signal earlier then it will prevent a second long. If you were in long with a different trade signal it ignores it and will get you a second long.

Comment

No. What you are trying to do is completely possible.

EntriesPerDirection = 1
            EntryHandling = UniqueEntries

With UniqueEntries it doesn't care what other positions you have on other trade signals. It only cares for that trade signal. If you were in long with that exact same signal earlier then it will prevent a second long. If you were in long with a different trade signal it ignores it and will get you a second long.
            But this isn't actually what I want either. I have two timeframes for each instrument, Let's say daily & weekly and I use the timeframe to form the signal. I'd like to be able to have a trade ES daily & YM daily open at the same time.

Comment

cunparis,

That is what I am trying to say. That is perfectly possible, just have two unique signal names for the respective instruments.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Christopher_R  
              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
              166 responses
              0 likes