Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Add method questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add method questions

I'm trying to use the Add method to build a multi time frame indicator, but it is not working. In going over the help file for Add I see it makes repeated referrence to building a strategy and never (?) mentions building an indicator.

Q1) Does this mean that it (Add) cannot be used to build an indicator?

===
    There are some mentions of multiple time frame indicators in the forum. I tried to down load one but the file attached to the forum article was a .cs rather than a NinjaScript Archive File (.zip?), and the import function seems to recognize only the latter.

Q2) Is there a way to take that .cs file I downloaded from the forum and add it to the list of Ninja indicators (so I can read and modify the source) without using the Import function?

===
    The more I read your help files the more I get the impression that strategies are more useful than indicators, that they have "Powers and Abilities far beyond those of mere indicators".

Q3) Should I just stop wasting my time on indicators and start developing strategies instead?

Another way of looking at this last point - strategies appear to be able to do things that indicators cannot.

Q4) Is there anything an indicator can do that a strategy cannot?

===
    (FYI, I've been programing for decades, but I am new to Ninja script.)

(version 6.5.1000.14)

Comment

gamemaster, yes please work with MultiSeries in strategies only in 6.5 - the exact same concept will be supported for indicators, too in NT 7 -

CS files need to be copied into the MyDocuments\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator folder, the compile all.

Though some CS raw source ones are floating around, we encourage using the zip import / export feature for easy of use.

Yes, an indicator can Plot for example directly, for a strategy the Strategy Plot workaround needs to be employed if this is needed -

When running a strategy on a chart you may find the need to plot values onto a chart. If these values are internal strategy calculations that are difficult to migrate to an indicator, you can use the following technique to achieve a plot. NinjaTrader 8 With NinjaTrader 8 we introduced strategy plots which provide the ability
      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you sir.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
        166 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post sidlercom80  
        Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM