window icon ordering on taskbar is not consistent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window icon ordering on taskbar is not consistent

In NT 6.5, I have observed that the icons for windows do not maintain the same order on the taskbar after the workspace is saved and reopened from one day to the next, although they always do in NT 6.0. It should be obvious to any developer that keeping track of multiple windows inside a workspace is critical. From a user's point of view, one of the best ways to activate a window is by knowing in advance where the icon is, and then selecting it. This method is helpful when windows are not visible due to stacking, or when they are minimized, etc. Because users tend to require multiple windows, the resulting icons are rarely large enough to read the titles. One should never be forced to deal with "random" repositioning of window icons, as this simply causes a lot of confusion.

By the way, I am running Win2K Pro, sp3 with NT 6.5.5. So far, I have not seen any version of NT 6.5 that did not have the same problem. I actually prefer workspaces that do not have a parent window to contain them, but if NT cannot manage the windows consistently, then maybe a "desktop" convention needs to be adopted in order to better organize workspaces, as per Tradestation's example.

The behavior you experience is as expected; workspace windows can load in a different order than saved.

I will forward your suggestion and comments to our Development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Workspace window ordering on taskbar not consistent.

I've was searching the forum to see if I could resolve an issue with my workspace window ordering in my taskbar not being consistent. I found this thread and decided to post reply to it too hopefully increase the enhancement priority of this request.

The Charting windows in my restored Workspace are loaded in some inconsistence order. I would expect at the least the Charting windows to be loaded in alpha - numeric sort, but this is not the case, they are loaded in some inconsistence order. I have three suggestions I would like to recommend for future software enhancement.

1. Workspace Window GUI that allows the user to arrange all their Windows in an ordering preference they decide upon. This GUI would allow the user to select individual windows and move them up and down within the GUI to establish their ordering preference. I'm thinking the GUI can then save the users window ordering preference to a file. This file would list Window 1 thru Window # and be arranged to the users ordering preference. The Workspace would then restore windows based on the users preference. (Happy NT User)

Example:

Window #1: Control Center,
      Window #2: AAPL - 5 Minute,
      Window #3: AAPL - 15 Minute,
      Window #3: AAPL - 60 Minute,
      Window #5: IBM - 60 Minute,
      Window #6: Alerts
      etc.

2. Set up a preference option to have the Charting Windows load in alpha - numeric order.

3. Have Charting Windows loaded based on how they're ordered in the workspace by the user.

My preference is for option number 1 as future enhancement to NT.

Thanks for the Support and providing future software enhancements.

Comment

I will forward your suggestions to our development team and ask them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Christopher_R  
        Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
        166 responses
        0 likes