X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 hangs

Hi, I have 8.0.0.7 64-bit (Multi-Broker) - BETA

When I do New > Strategy Analyzer

Then I click on "Instruments" the program just hangs, and never comes back. This works fine in V7. I have a lot of historical data and symbols, so I wonder if program runs out of memory, etc.

I have a 4 core 12 gig Windows 10 pc.

Hi stevenev,

When you say you have a lot of symbols, do you mean a lot of symbols in a particular instrument list? How much historical data is a lot?

When this crash occurs, what does your Windows Task Manager report in regards to memory/CPU consumption?
    <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Hi Alex,

I tested this further. Actually not related to clicking on Instrument in Strategy Analyzer....

When I launch Strategy Analyzer, disk usage goes from very low to 100% and the system takes 10-15 seconds to come back from that state. If I wait and don't do anything until the disk usage goes down (which it does, going to 3%), then I can click on Instrument selection with no issues.

I don't know what NT is doing when I launch Strategy Analyzer that takes so much disk usage for so long.

EDIT: I have a lot of 1 minute historical data in the default time span that shows in Strategy Analyzer. Maybe it is trying to pre-process that for whatever reason.

I am happy to test it more if you give me direction, or contact me directly via PM and we can set up a screen session.

Regards, steve

Comment

Hi Alex,

I have also experienced 'hangs' when opening charts from backtesting results (NT8).

If no one else has experienced this, then my guess is because I loaded 13 gigs of 1 minute data going back 10 years for backtesting.

I am wondering if NT8 does something different with that data, as this problem does not exist with the same data in NT7. For example, if a chart windows is opened from the backtest results, I wonder if NT8 looks farther back and then having too much back data, it simply slows down accessing that data (vs. just accessing the data it needs for that chart).

In any case, I hope such a stress test is part of the testing path of NT8.

Regards,

steve

Comment

Hi stevenev,

13 gigs of historical data going back 10 years is quite a lot. That is 10 years of minute data that NT8 would first have to read from your hard drive (thus the large spike in hard drive usage), then draw all necessary objects onto using your CPU + graphics hardware. NT8 is different internally when opening charts, due in part to the usage of DirectX in rendering your charts.

Can you tell me a little more about your PC hardware, specifically what specific graphics card you are running in your PC? Additionally, with your processing needs being what they are, I might suggest looking into a solid state hard drive, which would drastically increase read times of such a large amount of data.
          <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Hi Alex,

I might be on the bleeding edge as far as using back data

Hardware is good. Quadcore AMD, less than one year old system, 12 Gig Ram Windows 10. Not solid state hard.

The thing is there are no such issues with NT7. So I don't know what has changed with NT8, that it would do such long access. I don't believe it is the rendering (as I see disk access getting maxed out). If this persists, then I might have to maintain historical on a different pc, and do live trading from another pc. But I wanted to inform you guys just in case you want to look into it. I still cannot figure when I launched a new strategy that it would max out disk access- I don't know why it needs to access disk at such a level, as none of the historical data is selected at that time.

Comment

Hi stevenev,

You told me about your processor and the amount of RAM you have installed, but not about your graphics card. Can you let me know some details about that?

Comment

Sure, AMD Radion R7 graphics. Image attached.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi stevenev,

That looks sufficient to me, though I'd like to take a look at your trace files to investigate further. If you would, navigate to your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\trace folder, zip up any text files in that folder, and send them to platformsupport[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com. Put "ATTN: Alex" in the body of the message so it makes it to the right person.

Thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                  47 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post aligator  
                  Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jaybedreamin