Error Connecting to Server Socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Connecting to Server Socket

I'm trying to set a new computer up to trade a Tradestation Strategy through NinjaTrader using the e-mail subsystem. Everytime I try to configure the e-mail in Tradestation following the help guide you provide, I keep getting this same error message over and over (in the title above).
    I'm guessing there is some setup I need to do but don't know what it is. The pc is on a lan, connected to the internet through a router. I can trade all right, I can see the internet. Just can't get this connection to work.
    Thanks for your help.

Where do you get this error? In TS? If so, then I suggest turning off firewalls, spam blockers etc., since TS has trouble to establish a socket connection.

Comment

Socket Error Reply

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      Where do you get this error? In TS? If so, then I suggest turning off firewalls, spam blockers etc., since TS has trouble to establish a socket connection.
      I get this error in Tradestation when I try to configure e-mail notification for the four order types specified in the guide. Firewalls are turned off and I haven't installed any virus software yet. Is it possibly some kind of setting I need to make that would normally be done when a new pc is configured? Its not like I'm an expert in this stuff so it could be a pretty simple and dumb error.
      Thanks
      Dave

Comment

Did you leave TradeStation running while testing the email interface in TS?

Please make sure you proceed exactly as per video in the help guide: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...V6/SetUp6.html

Comment

Reply - Error Connecting to Server Socket

Dierk,
          I went through the video, and repeated my steps to set the strategy up. I did have TS running during the setup, last time and this time. It is now running, and I have no idea why it is now working. I assume I left some step out in the setup, but didn't see that anything was different this time through. I have it running and it is working as intended though what I was afraid of is happening, and that is the time delay between the autotrade instructions recorded by TS and their actual execution on the platform, though amazingly fast, there is still a 1-2 tic slop between what the strategy thinks has happened and what actually has happened. I'm rewriting the strategy to slow it down, hoping that fewer trades with bigger targets might reduce the impact of the slop.
          Thanks for your help. I don't know why its now working, but it is.
          Dave

Comment

Glad, it's working for you.

Comment

I just had this problem in 6.5. The solution was to select 'AT Interface' from the File menu in NT and then go to TS and send the test message. After selecting 'AT Interface' everything worked fine.

--h

Comment

Welcome to the NinjaTrader support forums hcarstens - correct the AT Interface has to be enabled - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...V6/SetUp6.html
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I am getting " Error Connecting to Server Socket " and I have configured Tradestation exactly as it says in the video...

There is a text file called "Host" in the Windows/system32/drivers/etc directory where you list your hosts, perhaps there is something there that needs to be added?

Thanks,

Randy

Comment

Is the SMTP server in NinjaTrader also enabled?

Do you perhaps run a competing SMTP server simultaneously, for example the case with Win 2003 server edtions? If yes please disable it, and recheck via the Test email function in TradeStation.
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I still get the error, everything is exactly as it should be no other programs are running, no email client, no firewall or virus scan...

In the Misc Tab under Options, the SMTP Server field is blank, which is the default, port is 25

Comment

Try inputting your ISP's SMTP server information and login account in there.
                        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

SMTP Problems

I was pulling my hair out and I don't have much left.

My two problems
                          1. My ISP was blocking port 25 (lots do).
                          Use alternate port
                          2. My local firewall was also blocking Ninja Trader from accessing the Internet.
                          Went into my firewall and allowed NT full Internet access.

Everything worked fine after that.

If your e-mail doesn't allow SMTP relay you can use http://www.authsmtp.com for a small fee.

To test access to your mail server, use telnet.exe

From a DOS prompt type: telnet servername port

Like : telnet mail.authsmtp.com 2525

Since authsmtp doesn't require a secure channel, you will get a connection message.

Many mail systems require authentication as well as a secure channel (TLS). Such as live mail and gmail.

I don't think NT supports TLS

Dave Hart

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Lumbeezl, 01-11-2022, 06:50 PM
                          30 responses
                          1 like
                          Last Post grayfrog  
                          Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                          3 responses