Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

No Symbols Loaded for File - Debugging with VS 2012 & NT 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Symbols Loaded for File - Debugging with VS 2012 & NT 7

Hi,

I have installed VS 2012 and have been trying to debug an indicator. I compile it in debug, open VS, attach to process, recompile, refresh VS. But break points aren't hit and the hollow red circle next to each break point says that break points won't be hit because no symbols have been loaded for the file.

I've used VS 2010 on another machine without ever having an issue. I'm not sure what is wrong with the configuration/process on this system with Win 7 Pro, NinjaTrader 7 and VS 2012 - if anyone has some thoughts, ideas on what it would take to get debugging going, I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Gordon

Hello grose, and thank you for your question.

While you have likely done several of these things already, to enable us to find out exactly what is occurring, I would like to ask if you could go through these steps to set up Visual Studio to work with NinjaTrader in order? Please stop and report back in the thread as soon as a step does not work, and let us know which numbered step it was. Thanks in advance, this information will enable us to give you a fast and accurate answer to your question.

Originally posted by http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/visual_studio_debugging.htm?zoom_highlightsub=visu al%2Bstudio
    1. In the NinjaScript Editor enable "Debug Mode". Be sure to compile the NinjaScript assembly afterwards by pressing "F5" on your keyboard.

2. From within Microsoft Visual Studio select Debug and then select the menu name Attach to Process.... Now you will select NinjaTrader from the process list and press the "Attach" button

Note: Please be sure the "Attach to" field is set to "Automatic: Managed code" or "Managed code".
    3. Open the NinjaScript source file within Microsoft Visual Studio and set your break point(s)

4. Run your NinjaScript object in NinjaTrader and it should stop at your break points and all the debugging tools and information should be available to inspect the current state of the code.
    Larger versions of each thumbnail can be expanded below.

Thanks once more in advance for this information.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 08-29-2016, 09:28 AM.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jessica,

Thanks very much. They key step was - Note: Please be sure the "Attach to" field is set to "Automatic: Managed code" or "Managed code". I'd never noticed that or had to set it. On my system, there were two options for Managed code - one for framework versions 4.x and the other for the lower versions. I selected the latter and it worked fine.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Terrific, please let us know if there is any other way we can help
        Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
        47 responses
        0 likes