Charts using continuum for data not updating on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts using continuum for data not updating on startup

I am experiencing problem with NT8 not updating any intraday charts that relies on continuum for data. The daily chart and the market analyzer of the same instrument would have no problem updating. But the intraday charts would all appear to be frozen, with data only up to the last time I started NT8.

This happens basically very time I start up NT8 but especially when there is a significant amount of historical data that need to be backfilled by continuum. As you can see from the screenshots above, I have Kinetick EOD and continuum connected. And if you looked at the price of the CL tick chart vs the daily and the market analyzer, you can see that it's stuck and not updating real time.

Looking at the trace file, it seems that ninjatrader had only ever requested bars for the daily charts but not any intraday or tick charts. And I believe the daily data were updated only because I had connected to Kinetick EOD first. For all the intraday and tick charts, I did not see any "loading.." notifications on the charts' top left corner (or go blank as in NT7 when it's refreshing data).

So I think the reason the intraday and tick charts are not updating is because NT8 is waiting for the historical backfill data to come in first before showing the real time data. But since the historical is never requested in the first place, all the charts are therefore stuck with only old data and never updated.

And the only way to get around this is to manually reload all the intraday and tick charts. Once I've done the manual update, the chart would start to update with real time data again.

And since I've left all the market data settings as default, I believe this might be a problem with the continuum connection itself. Please see the attachments for my workspace and market data setting. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Hello Softturbo, and thank you for your report. Other users have not reported charts not loading on initial start up in the latest version of NinjaTrader, 8.0.2.0 . One thing I did notice you mentioning is that you connect to Kinetick End-Of-Day first, then other data feed providers which provide the same symbols. The result of this is your telling NinjaTrader that Kinetick EOD is your primary data feed provider. In other words, you are instructing Ninja "Pull any data for any symbols you can from Kinetick EOD, and then if Kinetick EOD does not have a symbol but another data feed provider does, fall through to that provider". Kinetick EOD and Kinetick have the exact same symbol map, so the result of this is that data is never pulled from your other connections.

To alleviate this please connect to your other data feed connections first, and KinetickEOD last. Please then let us know if this persists so we may assist further.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I've tried what you suggested but it's making things worse for me.

When I first connected to continuum only as you suggested, none of the charts were updating, including the daily charts. I looked at the trace file and indeed continuum had not requested any historical data at all.

So I let it sit for a while and then all of a sudden ninjatrader started to crash. I looked at the trace again and continuum finally started to load the historical after around 2.5 minutes. And that's when the crash happened as well.

And now when I restart ninjatrader, it crashed immediately every time without even fully loading the workspace. I've tried putting the workspace to a fresh copy of ninjatrader and it's still crashing immediately So somehow the continuum connection had managed to corrupt my workspace while loading historical dara and now I have to rebuild everything from scratch.

Before testing this, I've tried using kinetick EOD with barchart as well and it falls through correctly and retrieve all the historical data. So there is definitely a problem specific to the continuum plug in. Please get this fixed as soon as possible as it is very work intensive to recreate the entire workspace from scratch every time there is a problem.

P.S. Please consider adding back some sort of indication that a chart is loading. In NT7, the charts that are loading data would go blank. But in NT8, I do not even see the "loading.." text when it is automatically backfilling data - I only see that when I am manually reloading the chart. Preferably, it should include from which data source the data is being loaded from (e.g. "loading from continuum..."). This would help greatly in diagnosing any connection related problem.

Thanks.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Softturbo; 12-12-2016, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Hello Softturbo, and thank you for your report.

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

Tracking ID: NTEIGHT-10864

Comment

Did anyone figure this out yet? CL no live data?

I'm pretty sure I have a similar issue with my NT8 v.8.0.4.0 64bit
          with ninjatraderCQG
          I can reload historical data but the realtime live data is offline somehow.
          I don't have any issue with a different instument like YM, it's just fine.
          Anyone have a clue maybe?
          Thanks for any help
          Last edited by topfuelfan; 02-16-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Hello topfuelfan,

Please send me your log and trace files, templates, and other files, so that I may look into what occurred.
            You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.
            Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1620418
            Please include Attn:NinjaTrader_JessicaP in the body of your e-mail.
            IMPORTANT: Please also tick all the boxes in the "Other Files" section.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
              Hello topfuelfan,

Please send me your log and trace files, templates, and other files, so that I may look into what occurred.
              You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.
              Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1620418
              Please include Attn:NinjaTrader_JessicaP in the body of your e-mail.
              IMPORTANT: Please also tick all the boxes in the "Other Files" section.
              Thanks Jessica,
              But it was my mistake. Unbeknownst to me, I did not have the data subscription needed for CL live data. Although I thought I did as I believed I was subscribed too the CME bundle already. I have resubscribed to the bundle and now everything is A/OK !
              I just wish there was a way to see and confirm that online.
              Thanks anyway
              Topfuelfan

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by warreng86, 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM
              5 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
              Started by Perr0Grande, Today, 08:16 PM
              0 responses