Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Multiple User Controls messed up on latest NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple User Controls messed up on latest NT8

Just upgraded to the latest build of NT8 and something that has been working for months now got really confused. If this makes any sense what might have happened please let me know.

My logic has three separate AddOns with different code for each. They display colored text in my own defined UserControl which is custom built as a DLL and used in the xaml.

When starting up I look them up successfully and set their "Content" to simple identifying text strings. (originally for debug)

During runtime the content changes, and what has happened with the latest NT8 build is it appears these three are now ONE object as the first one works and the other two generate exceptions saying the object is owned by a different thread. There are three when initially look them up, but when using a Method call to "obj.SetContent(string)" one works and the other two trap saying not owned by task.

This was working fine until upgraded NT8 today to latest build. It is now creating all sorts of weird issues as well.

Does this make any sense? I've been programming a long time this isn't a new user type error. Did try to create three different user control classes as well in the DLL but the problem persists even with different named classes.

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

Overall this does not make a lot of sense out of context, mainly it would be difficult to understand where the problem may be coming from without knowing what syntax was used.

The error you are seeing seems like a threading error or that you created some object on one thread and are now trying to access that object from a different thread.

Generally, Dispatchers would be used if that were the case, you could try surrounding whatever code is throwing the exception in a dispatcher.

Alternatively, I would likely suggest to exclude the addons from compilation and create a very simple example of just the structure you are using without any of your custom logic. Just to see if the way you are creating the addons and calling them is the cause of the problem.

If you do go the path of excluding the current items and build a stripped down test script and if you are unable to find the problem with that test script please upload it and we could take a look.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes it is functioning as a threading error type problem, but the objects are created on different threads. They have been working on different threads for months now. And they were working fine on different threads until installed the latest NT8 version. Now it is like they are on one thread.

I can call them simply with a setting of the Context directly and it correctly accesses each individual AddOn and GUI object with a simple text string. But when using a method which calls an underlying function that is when it thinks they are one object.

I am tempted to try to just revert NT8 version, but when trying that it says to uninstall NT8 first and then resetting up my connections and custom software and such becomes more headache.

My entire addition includes quite a bit more than just the AddOns so attempting to create a simple model example is even more of a frustration. It all interconnects together not simple.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, in this case, I couldn't really say what may have changed that is now causing the difference in results. There are internal changes with each revision of the platform so there can be corner cases where some code you are using has changed or some aspect of something you are using is now working differently. This would really be something you would need to dig into to find what specifically in your code is now no longer working as expected.

If creating a smaller sample would be more frustrating then you would likely need to try and reduce the existing code base or make a copy you can play with that may exclude items that are not related to the exception.

Reverting the version would only be a temporary fix as that would leave you stranded on that version going forward. I would not suggest reverting unless this helps identify what specifically changed so you can address it. In the situation where something you are using has changed in the way it works, if you can provide the syntax for that we could see if that is expected as well.

One other item you might try is looking at the ChangeLog as well to see if anything sticks out that may be related to the syntax you use: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...us/8_0_8_0.htm

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post jclose
        by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
        10 responses