Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

GetDayBar - whats wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GetDayBar - whats wrong

Hi there,

i´d like to add an requirement to my automated trading strategy.

I like to add a filter - to trade only days, where the close of one day ago was higher then the close of two days ago.

I tryed to implement it this way:

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
    if ( Bars.GetDayBar(1).Close > Bars.GetDayBar(2).Close && the other requirements)

before adding this filter, everything worked fine. but after adding this filter i get the message:
    Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method for stratgy xy
    -when enableling the strategy.

It would be great if you could give me a hint how to solve the problem.

Thank You !

GetDayBar() requires a null reference check/escape.

Comment

Hi Coganam,

thank you that was easy.
      Here the new code for others who have the same problem:

protected override void OnBarUpdate()
      if ( Bars.GetDayBar(1) != null && Bars.GetDayBar(2) != null && Bars.GetDayBar(1).Close > Bars.GetDayBar(2).Close && the other requirements)

Thanx

Comment

I have a similar problem, so I try to ask in this thread.

I need history of last 20 days which is queried by GetDayBar (1/2/.../20). The "Days to load" property of the chart is set to 60 - enough for my purposes. The chart itself has 15 or 30 minutes time frame. In the properties of indicator I set "Maximum bars to look back" on infinite.
        But I still can't access days 18, 19 and 20. GetDayBar(18 to 20, sometimes already for 16 or 15) is null.

How I can solve this problem?

Comment

fel17, are you working in a indicator or strategy here? Single or MultiSeries?

Thanks,
          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by fel17 View Post
            I have a similar problem, so I try to ask in this thread.

I need history of last 20 days which is queried by GetDayBar (1/2/.../20). The "Days to load" property of the chart is set to 60 - enough for my purposes. The chart itself has 15 or 30 minutes time frame. In the properties of indicator I set "Maximum bars to look back" on infinite.
            But I still can't access days 18, 19 and 20. GetDayBar(18 to 20, sometimes already for 16 or 15) is null.

How I can solve this problem?
            Check your chart to be sure that enough days have been actually loaded. It is not what you ask to load that matters; it is what is actually loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
              fel17, are you working in a indicator or strategy here? Single or MultiSeries?
              Indicator. I don't know what MultiSeries are, I assume I'm working with Single series. I have only one "Value" in one time frame. Basically the easiest case. I also have 3-4 other indicators (provided by NT), but I don't think they disturb my indicator.

Now I have this problem even with GetDayBar (1). I can see in my 15 minutes frame complete yesterday, but GetDayBar(1) = null

Generally, GetDayBar seems to be very instable (buggy?) and uncomfortable for programming. I know, I have to check for NULL value, but what can I do if GetDayBar IS null? How I can force loading of enough history thru coding?
              Unfortunately there is no alternative to GetDayBar, besides of PriorDayOHLC which works only for prior day.

Comment

Unfortunately there would be supported way to force a loading of the data through code - as koganam advised please double check the chart contains the data you for the complete session you wish to access / build on with the virtual GetDayBar.

For testing, I've attached a simple test indicator for you that work just fine on my ES 06-12 15 min charts running here on 'instrument default' sessions, so the CME US Index Futures ETH / Globex hours.

If there was an issue loading your data from the provider connected to, right click on the chart and select 'Reload Historical Data'.

Thanks,
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for example Bertrand.

I still do not understand how to load last days and I think this function is a little bit buggy. I've found a workaround: in OnBarUpdate() I return as long GetDayBar(1) is null. I can see in debug output that after 10-20 such returns Day(1) will be loaded and I can query the OHLC values.

Ok, but now I have another problem.
                  tradingDaysBars in Bars.GetDayBar(int tradingDaysBack) means the number of days back. So GetDayBar(1) = yesterday.
                  But the real behaviour is different. GetDayBar(1)means first day in the chart, not yesterday! I've checked values and this is definitely true. I have about two months loaded in the chart and I receive OHLC values from first day (two months ago). Is this a bug or feature?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, so you would see the behavior you described with my example posted, is this correct? If so, which exact chart, timeframe, datafeed and session template + days loaded setting do yo use on your end?

Then I could attempt reproducing here to check into.

Thanks,

Comment

I just looked your code, I did not run your indicator with real data.

Now I checked OHLC values for GetDayBar(2). High and Low are the same as for GetDayBar(1), but different in the chart. No clue...

Comment

I would suggest giving the sample code prepared a run on your end and chart to doublecheck - you would also need to be mindful when exactly accessing the values and comparing, so Time[0] print + CurrentBar print is needed in debugging - if you plot / draw the results it would be more visual and thus likely easier.

Comment

Just tell me what does GetDayBar(1) mean?
                          Yesterday or "depends on"?

Comment

...the previous trading session. Please see attached, ES 5 min running on RTH hours, highlighted is the previous session close level > compare to the plotted GetDayBar(1).Close in orange please for reference.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I would also expect this behaviour. It corresponds to manual.

But in my case I get the values from the first day in the chart, which is 2 month ago. I can see these values if I scroll to the start of the chart.

I work with 15min chart for FGBL future, as example.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jclose, Today, 09:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jclose
                              by jclose

Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes