Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Show/hide indicators and parameter editing from the chart window via titles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show/hide indicators and parameter editing from the chart window via titles...

I'm a fairly new user so I could be missing something, but I can't find an easy way to show and hide indicators on a chart.

It seems they can only be created and removed but not shown and hidden. I find this frustrating because I'm forced to recreate any custom changes (color, thickness, period etc) each time.

Currently, the names of the indicators are displayed in the top left corner of a chart and if there was a show/hide checkbox or similar solution, that would allow many indicators on a chart that may otherwise clash and overlap without having to open a dialog box and manually add or remove them each time, compromising workflow.

I also feel the most important indicator parameters should be able to be changed without leaving the chart window. For example, if the title of an indicator says "MACD(12,26,9)", the user should be able to change the parameter values in the brackets simply by clicking on them. Tooltips could be used to display the parameter names etc.

The more than can be done from a single window the better, especially for real-time traders. With this in mind, I believe both the indicator button at the top of the chart and the right-click context menu should expand to show the indicator list (similar to the drawing tools menu) and a checkbox (like the "Snap TO OHLC" option) could be used to determine which are on the chart. This becomes even more powerful when default parameters for indicators can be saved. Currently it seems if I always want Bollinger bands to be blue with a line thickness of 2 I have to configure this each and every time. There could definitely be a better way in my opinion.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the taking the time to provide these suggestions...I will take it under advisement. NT7 later this year will include the ability to hide/unhide indicators.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Awesome! Looking forward to NT7 beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
        I'm a fairly new user so I could be missing something, but I can't find an easy way to show and hide indicators on a chart.

It seems they can only be created and removed but not shown and hidden. I find this frustrating because I'm forced to recreate any custom changes (color, thickness, period etc) each time.

Currently, the names of the indicators are displayed in the top left corner of a chart and if there was a show/hide checkbox or similar solution, that would allow many indicators on a chart that may otherwise clash and overlap without having to open a dialog box and manually add or remove them each time, compromising workflow.

I also feel the most important indicator parameters should be able to be changed without leaving the chart window. For example, if the title of an indicator says "MACD(12,26,9)", the user should be able to change the parameter values in the brackets simply by clicking on them. Tooltips could be used to display the parameter names etc.

The more than can be done from a single window the better, especially for real-time traders. With this in mind, I believe both the indicator button at the top of the chart and the right-click context menu should expand to show the indicator list (similar to the drawing tools menu) and a checkbox (like the "Snap TO OHLC" option) could be used to determine which are on the chart. This becomes even more powerful when default parameters for indicators can be saved. Currently it seems if I always want Bollinger bands to be blue with a line thickness of 2 I have to configure this each and every time. There could definitely be a better way in my opinion.

Just an idea.

Sorry to resurrect old threads, but I was doing a search to see any threads about the Parameters being displayed on the top left of the chart.

Anyhow, have you tried just saving your workspace with the indicators set up the way you like? That's what I have done, so that whenever I start up NT, it opens the charts in that workspace with all of the indicators and parameters set up.

Bryan
        cassb
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Comment

Yes I use workspaces and chart templates frequently. While very useful, my requests have more to do with workflow and ease of changing parameters.

I can't count the times I've had to manually edit indicators because there is no way to globally set a default line width. I don't want a line width of 1, EVER, and feel a much better solution would be the option to change that once, not have to edit hundreds of indicators.

And really what is the point of the indicator and strategy icons on the charts? They serve no purpose other than redundancy for those who can't be bothered to right click or use Crtl+I/Ctrl+S. A drop down list would actually serve a useful purpose.

For Example:

The right-click context menu could also be much better in my opinion.

I still strongly feel that the more than can be done right from the chart without having to open more windows and dialogs the better.

Another major problem is nothing else can be done if an indicator/strategy window is open. We're not making PowerPoint presentations here, people are trading with real money and shouldn't 'locked out' of the chart under any circumstances and especially not for frivolous dialog boxes.

NinjaTrader shines in many, many areas in my opinion, but unfortunately UI logic is not one of them. I'm sure we'll all rejoice in NT7 when the hellish system modal dialogs are gone, and hopefully there are other interface improvements planned as well.

Originally posted by cassb View Post
          Sorry to resurrect old threads, but I was doing a search to see any threads about the Parameters being displayed on the top left of the chart.

Anyhow, have you tried just saving your workspace with the indicators set up the way you like? That's what I have done, so that whenever I start up NT, it opens the charts in that workspace with all of the indicators and parameters set up.

Bryan

Comment

I agree about the modal dialogs... including the splash screen. And I see what you mean about having some parameters be "global" in scope rather per indicator. Although that would probably be quite a programming task to have normally indicator-level variables become global variables.

You must be a couple steps ahead of me in NT use, because I don't even see those buttons that you have there. Or is that TS or something?
            Attached Files
            cassb
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by quantismo, Yesterday, 05:13 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
            Started by The_Sec, 04-16-2024, 02:29 PM