Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy Builder basics not working as expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Builder basics not working as expected

Hi there

I am performing what I believe is an extremely basic step in NT8 Strategy Builder, i.e. just adding a condition such as Open[0]>Close[0].

In order to do so, I have selected

• Open on the left hand window
    • greater in the center window
    • Close on the right hand window

However when I confirm with OK, rather than seeing Open[0]>Close[0] as expected, I see

Open[0]>Defaultinput[0]

Why is that?

Screenshot attached.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I can see that using this process does generate the label "Defaultinput" whereas the generated code actually shows as Close[0]

I will need to confirm with development if this is expected or if this should instead show the series that was picked. For the time being, using the syntax you are would be as you are expecting, only that in the builder it is listing Defaultinput rather than Close.

I will reply back here when I have further details.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jesse; 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
      Hello,

Thank you for the post.

I can see that using this process does generate the label "Defaultinput" where as the generated code actually shows as Close[0]

I will need to confirm with development if this is expected or if this should instead show the series that was picked.

I will reply back here when I have further details.

I look forward to being of further assistnace.
      Hi Jesse thank you.

Comment

@NinjaTrader_Jesse

Hi Jesse, I was wondering whether the development team have come back to you about this?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it appears this would be the expected result or showing DefaultInput in the builder. The actual syntax used in the script will reflect the correct series but for readability, it appears that DefaultInput will be used.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, it appears this would be the expected result or showing DefaultInput in the builder. The actual syntax used in the script will reflect the correct series but for readability, it appears that DefaultInput will be used.

Hi Jesse, thanks.

With all due respect, this does not make sense, for the following reasons:

1. If I used the strategy builder and I want to enter one or many conditions, like for instance the Pic 1 attached, I would not be able, by going back to the strategy, to verify what exact condition I entered in the first place.

DefaultInput basically would replace any condition. This would actually hamper, not enhance, readability. Was it Close>Open? Close>Low? Who knows, because all I can see is DefaultInput > Open. Or DefaultInput > DefaultInput
            2. The explanation that the actual underlying code is available would render the concept of the Strategy Builder a bit pointless. There are many people who are not familiar with coding but can get by with basic conditions such as those offered by the Builder. If they have to open the code just to see something that they are supposed to see anyway via the Builder, it would make the editing process more cumbersome
            3. The other reason I suspect this is a bug: the behavior I described is not consistent all the time. Sometimes you see DefaultInput, sometimes you see what you are supposed to see, as demonstrated by Pic 2 attached.

Please would you be able to go back to the Dev team with this - If it helps I am more than happy to escalate.

Many thanks for your time Jesse.
            Attached Files

Comment

@NinjaTrader_Jesse

Hi Jesse

Wondering whether there was any follow-up to this?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

In this case what you are seeing would be expected and is not a bug. The DefaultInput would be used in Place of the Close series in the builder specifically unless the Close specifically is being used as the input in which it will list as Close.

I have put in a feature request for this item to revert to using Close.

Please let me know if I may be of furhter assistance.

Comment

Thanks Jesse

In this case what you are seeing would be expected and is not a bug. The DefaultInput would be used in Place of the Close series in the builder specifically unless the Close specifically is being used as the input in which it will list as Close.
                  If indeed it is not a bug, then why does it show inconsistent behavior? I refer you to my earlier post where one of the pictures attached clearly shows that sometimes you see DefaultInput, other times you see what you actually selected.

If it were by design, then wouldn't you always expect to see either one thing or the other?

I hope my question is clear. If not please feel free to revert to me.

I have put in a feature request for this item to revert to using Close.
                  Yes please, I think it's needed.

Comment

@NinjaTrader_Jesse

Hi there Jesse

I have just upgraded to NT 8.0.7.0 and I see this problem has not been addressed yet.

Please see my prior comments about this issue. This is clearly a bug, not an expected feature.

How can this be escalated for resolution please?

Thanks

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

As noted previously this is not a bug and how the builder displays the primary series in this use case.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a further solution as I have already put in a feature request for the changes you requested and have already questioned development if this was expected which it is.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

As noted previously this is not a bug and how the builder displays the primary series in this use case.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a further solution as I have already put in a feature request for the changes you requested and have already questioned development if this was expected which it is.

Thank you Jesse

If this is not a bug, please can you explain the rationale for its use?

Comment

@NinjaTrader_Jesse

A reminder to please liaise with development to address my question - thanks.

Comment

Hello ntuser2017,

Thank you for your patience.

DefaultInput is ideal as it allows any input series, meaning any bar series including an indicator as input. This would be the correct way to see this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                              Hello ntuser2017,

Thank you for your patience.

DefaultInput is ideal as it allows any input series, meaning any bar series including an indicator as input. This would be the correct way to see this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
                              Hi there Patrick, thanks for picking this up.

Sorry if I struggle to understand - I have marked three questions in red

1) we are talking about the Strategy Builder. If I use the Strategy Builder and create a condition that says (for example)

Open[0]>Close[0]

it would be reasonable for me, when closing the "Conditions" window, to see exactly what I selected as conditions.

Question 1
                              Are you suggesting that Defaultinput is replacing Close in the strategy builder?

2) The other reason why I struggle to understand the logic of the above is: while the Condition Builder keeps saying "DefaultInput", if I go into the code (View code), I see exactly what I expected to see, i.e. I see

if (Open[0] > Close[0])

and not

if (Open[0] > Default input[0])

Question 2
                              Would you be able to explain this inconsistency please?

Question 3
                              Is there any documentation that explains how this Default input is to be used?

Many thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post cre8able  
                              Started by manitshah915, Today, 12:59 PM
                              0 responses