Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Help w/Software Drive Price Zones Drawn in NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/Software Drive Price Zones Drawn in NT8

I am working with a programmer (who is a friend) to develop a price zone indicator for NT8 that is software driven (not discretionary drawing) based on specific criteria I've developed. Zones would automatically be drawn when a chart is loaded and indicator applied, or adapt to any change in the data series, such as changing from any given time-based, or non-time based chart to another timeframe or non-timeframe chart (i.e, switching from a 60 minute to a 10 minute, or 377 tick to a 4 range bar).

When the zoning criteria are met, the intention is to instruct the software draw a static zone across the screen (and right margin into infinity) for the given price range. Additional criteria will be added later to direct where to truncate the zone at a specific bar or candle.

My programmer's challenge at present is two-fold, aside from his eagerness to become more adept at understanding the concepts and nomenclature with trading:

1) He has discovered how to reliably draw zones that meet the criteria, however, they are being drawn dynamically (bar to bar) versus plotting statically when the indicator is applied, or when switching instruments on a chart loaded with the indicator. Also, the zone is not plotting off the right edge of the screen to infinity as desired.

2) The zones update as bars or candles progressively form on the chart, however, if you click on a zone manually with your mouse cursor, all zones currently drawn and updating (although I want the zones to be static) cease to update.

I'd appreciate it greatly if anyone has any guidance or resources to help further understand how to move forward towards the desired outcome. Hopefully, I've been clear enough for some advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Last edited by TraderJim618; 04-11-2017, 12:54 PM. Reason: grammar

You'll want to take a look at Draw.HorizontalLine and Draw.RegionHighlightY

Comment

Thank you, Tradesmart, will do. Appreciate your input.

Jim

Comment

Hello TraderJim618,

Thanks for opening the thread.

I am happy that you have been able to get input from another member of our forums.

You may also wish to look into modifying the anchor's of your drawing object so they use coordinate points instead of being associated with each bar.

ChartAnchors - http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...hartanchor.htm

If you are encountering an issue where the candles disappear on your chart, I would suggest debugging the indicator with Print() statements and commenting out questionable lines of code to determine what is causing your issue.

We have some debugging tips listed here:

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks to you as well Jim, appreciate your input.

Jim

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes