chart not updating, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chart not updating, why?

See attached chart. This is a weekly chart of the 10 year notes, ZN, and for some unfathomable reason, it just stopped updating. I have 10 charts in this workspace, and the other 9 are updating correctly. Reloading historical data doesn't fix it, reloading ninjascript doesn't fix it, and even my latest trick, resetting instruments (tools/options/data) doesn't fix it. I've complained about this non-updating glitch multiple times over multiple years, but never found a fix--unfortunately, it occurs with some regularity (and it seems to be independent of which of my computers I'm using, so it's not a local hard drive issue as far as I can figure). Does anybody have a clue why this happens, and how to prevent it from re-occurring?
    Tasuki
    Attached Files

Hello Tasuki,

On what date and at what time are you expecting real-time data for this instrument?

Good Friday is observed by the exchange on Friday, April 14th.

Trading hours for many products and exchanges will change for this holiday including the CME on which the ZN trades.

Hours and changes for major products are listed below. For any other products or details, please refer to the exchanges' holiday calendars.

NinjaTrader offers exclusive software for futures trading. With our modern trading platform, you will control every step of your trading journey. Open account to trade futures with us!

Were you finding the ZN stopped updating before the exchange was closed for the holiday?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chelsea,
      Please re-read what I wrote: that workspace has 10 charts in it, and 9 of them had the correct data for the ZN, so this had nothing to do with the holidays.
      As mentioned, this is an annoying and potentially dangerous situation if you've made a trading decision based on a chart that's not updating. This problem has been discussed multiple times on this forum, and I don't recall ever seeing a convincing answer to why it happens (there has to be some reason) nor any solution to prevent this from happening in the future. If the support staff can put their heads together to figure it out, that would be great.
      A related question, of course, is this---is this happening with NT 8? I haven't used the new version long enough to know. If Ninjatrader is clueless about why this happens in NT 7, the programmers who designed NT 8 probably didn't put a fix for this on their list, but I guess we'll find out in time.
      Tasuki
      Last edited by Tasuki; 04-16-2017, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

Thank you for confirming you were checking this before the market was closed.

(During the time you posted, the exchange was closed and I was expecting the other instruments loaded are on different exchanges)

I would like you to try clearing the cache and ensure the Trading hours template is set to <use instrument settings>.

Please use the steps I have provided below to delete your chart cache and historical data.
        • Close NinjaTrader
        • Open (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache\
        • Delete all files within this folder
        • Go up one directory to the \db\ folder
        • Repeat this procedure for the tick, minute, and day folders as well to delete your downloaded historical data
        • Restart NinjaTrader
        • Connect

Open a new chart without any indicators or templates applied to see if you are able to load a chart.

This initial load may take a little longer than normal since all new data is being loaded from the historical data servers. After everything has loaded please restart NinjaTrader and let me know if you continue to experience a slow load time.

If clearing the cache does not allow the chart to begin updating with real-time data, please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com so that we may check the subscription status and perform testing on your end.

Comment

Chelsea,
          Hang on for a second. If I delete all this stuff, won't I wipe out all my charts with their indicators and extensive notes on each chart?
          Please correct me if my fears of losing everything on all my charts are unfounded.
          Thanks,
          Tasuki

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

Indicators are stored in
            Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom

Workspaces are stored in
            Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces

I am directing you to delete the downloaded historical data. I am not directing you to delete your workspaces or indicators.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by gm7_forum, Today, 05:51 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post gm7_forum  
            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
            1 response
            0 likes