Collapse

Memory Problem With RC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello soulfx, and thank you for your report.

If you suspect a bug in NT8, could you send the indicator you were using in an e-mail to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com? We can also use the settings you are using if you are able to reproduce this with a built-in, or a stripped down copy of your indicator which still causes high memory use.

Please also send me your log and trace files, templates, and other files, so that I may look into what occurred.
    You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.
    IMPORTANT: Please also tick all the boxes in the "Other Files" section.

For both of these :

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1586003
    Please include Attn:NinjaTrader_JessicaP in the body of your e-mail.

Thanks for both your report and any assistance you can provide.
    Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello there isnt really anything in the log and trace files other than the message i reported below;; as i did check those.
      I will run some more tests to localise if it is 1 particular indicator in question
      but given that it is being used in several other charts and i have been testing this for 5 6 months with earlier beta releases i am doubtful this is the issue - i have been with this beta program for some time :
      but will check it will take a number of checks and restarts because it just hangs - i wondered if it had anything to do the with menu item component as i took the tips from chelsea example on handling menu items for tabs within the parent window and how this needs to be managed - i wondered if this aspect could potentially cause an issue.
      any thoughts ? will report back as i try to narrow this down

Comment

I am investigating this on my end, and can come back with my thoughts when I have some more context.

While the log and trace files may not have a lot of additional information, the other files section I asked about contains options for sending me your workspace and database files. These files make it easy to repeat your configuration on my end. While this does not send us your custom indicators, I have access to tools I can use to simulate these if I know what they are and how they are being called.

We appreciate any information you can share.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JessicaP View Post
          Thanks once again for providing us with your event viewer log. It looks like the reason Ninja crashed was your platform running out of memory. While this does not give us any more diagnostic information, since your high memory use itself was a symptom, it does help us rule out other causes.

I would like to ask for one more piece of diagnostic information. Would it be possible to send us the workspace file you were using at the time Ninja's memory usage peaked? This will be in your (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces folder. This will contain some especially useful information from your system, including how many charts you were using and which custom NinjaScript files such as indicators or strategies your charts had loaded.

If you had more than one workspace file loaded at the time of the crash, please send us each workspace file that was open.

Thank you once again for both your report and your help investigating what occurred.
          Hello Jessica,

It is ture that the system ran out of memory but I could watch NT8 usage keep climbing in task manager.

I have sent the workspace and template file via the help/email support of NT8.

The standard indicators I'm using (the ones supplied with NT8 are,

MACD, Donchian Channel, Current dayOHL Pivots and Woodies CCI

The Custom indicators are NinZa Renko and NinZa quick drawing indicator which are both free from http://ninza.co/. I've alerted NinZa about a possible problem with their indicator(s) and RC2 as well.

If I might ask a favor, I see that soulFX has posted a problem in this thread as well. Would it be possible to separate the two topics into two separate threads for clarity.

Thanks,

Terence

Comment

Separating forums threads out is not a service we typically provide. That said, soulfx, I would like to request that you form a separate thread, with attn:NinjaTrader_JessicaP in the body, so that we can track what is happening with your system separately.

Thank you again for giving us a way to completely reproduce your system Segwin.

Comment

Hello yes i will start a separate thread and include the body of what i wrote prior.
              Apologies segwin didnt mean to pollute your thread - i always toy with starting a new thread vs adding to a thread - i figured there was overlap but appreciate you want this kept separate

Comment

Originally posted by soulfx View Post
                Hello yes i will start a separate thread and include the body of what i wrote prior.
                Apologies segwin didnt mean to pollute your thread - i always toy with starting a new thread vs adding to a thread - i figured there was overlap but appreciate you want this kept separate
                Don't sweat it - it's no big deal. You can keep it here.

Comment

soulfx,

In addition to the information I requested previously and so that I may have a more complete picture of what is happening on your end, would it be possible to use the freely and publicly available screen capture software Jing, https://www.techsmith.com/jing.html , or a similar program which can record video of what is happening on your screen, so that you can show me what is occurring on your end? These quick instructions can get you started with Jing.

1. When you start Jing, a yellow half circle will appear near the top of your screen. Please hover over it with your mouse
                  2. A small + sign will extend out of this half circle. Please click on it
                  3. When your cursor becomes two intersecting lines, please click and drag your mouse over an area of your screen you would like to record
                  4. Please press the film strip button that appears to begin recording
                  5. When you are finished recording, please press the square stop button that appears
                  6. Please press the share button that appears. It consists of three vertical upward pointing arrows.

You will then have the option to view your video on screencast.com . This is the link which can help me diagnose what is happening on your end. It is possible you will need to set up a free account in order to share videos.

Thank you very much in advance for providing us with this information. If this procedure is not an option for you, or if there are any other questions we can answer, please let us know.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Don't want to intrude, but I have exactly the same problem as noted in this thread.
                    Since I did the latest update, whenever I start Ninjatrader 8, the memory usage starts to climb rapidly. I can't have it open for more then 2-3 minutes.

Below you can see a GIF that I made, the memory usage rises by about 40MB per second!

Comment

Originally posted by yama4ever View Post
                      Don't want to intrude, but I have exactly the same problem as noted in this thread.
                      Since I did the latest update, whenever I start Ninjatrader 8, the memory usage starts to climb rapidly. I can't have it open for more then 2-3 minutes.

Below you can see a GIF that I made, the memory usage rises by about 40MB per second!

https://i.gyazo.com/a44c994bca89945f...8693b31d76.png
                      Although a PITA delete your workspaces. Start NT and then start only with preinstalled indicators. Start adding the custom ones one at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem Growing pains.

Comment

I've found a solution! Though I don't know why it works.

My workspace included a Trade Performance, and a T&S Window.
                        When I went to Task manager and closed these 2, The memory usage went down to normal and stayed there.

Now the funny thing after fixing it; you'd suspect that if I open Trade Perfomance and/or T&S, that the memory would surge up again since they were causing it. But after closing and re-opening them, everything works as it should!

Maybe this works for others having the same issue, would still like an explaination though :P

Comment

Thank you for your report, yama4ever. It sounds like you are experiencing something slightly different from Segwin and soulfx. I will attempt to reproduce a memory spike using those two, and get back with more information. If you could send your workspace file you are using, from (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces, to platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com , it would help us greatly.
                          Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1586003
                          Please include Attn:NinjaTrader_JessicaP in the body of your e-mail.

Comment

Run away memory usage in RC2

I upgraded to RC2 from RC1.
                            When ninja starts up it is stable. No charts open.
                            I opened a work space from RC1 that has 8 regular charts and 2 charts with TickReplay=true. It never finished loading one of the charts with TickReplay=true.
                            Memory eventually went to 11.5Gig before I killed it.
                            So I started all over again.
                            Started Ninja, connected to CQG. All good.
                            I connect to CQG Continuum, it is stable.
                            I create a tick chart on CL with TickReplay=true and it never loads the chart. Memory usage continued rising until it maxed out at my machines limits (12 gig). By then Ninja becomes unresponsive.

My superficial conclustion is that a chart with TickReplay=true is causing RC2 to run away with memory usage.
                            I found no evidence of errors in trace logs.

Gary Albers

Comment

I have just experienced the same as Gary below. Upgraded to RC2 today.
                              Just had to kill the process after market open and also have several charts with tick replay = true.
                              This i have had to do and experienced with each successive release.
                              I have just cleared the db/cache and about to retry.

It seems each time i need to Completely start from scratch with a new workspace for each release - this has been extremely time consuming and frustrating - i have referred to the instability of the xml workspaces in other threads and even privately to ninja and nothing seems to come back on this.

So i write this to support what Gary is saying below but i have just dealt with this over the last few releases as there seems to be no remedy or solution to either corrupt workspaces or the tick replay issue.

I had 5 or 6 fairly smooth days in last week on RC1 .. not changing anything just running each day no error logs or object reference issues after thinking it was issues in my own coded indicators; this to me proved this was not the case and now the upgrade its the same all over again.

My sense is the unstable workspace issue is going to be one of the main issues on production release and i have mentioned this before as constructive feedback that somehow this is addressed now.
                              From a design / user perspective when N8 closes down cleanly it should not corrupt the workpace.
                              When many beta testers have no option to kill processes that just hang as there is no other way to exit - is this one of the potential sources of the corruption ? - if this is the case then this should be spelled out clearly so users can then take action or start over rather than trying to work in vain with a corrupt workspace unbeknownst to them; as there is no other way currently to exit N8 when one of the threads or other aspects just sits there with no response.

thanks
                              Last edited by soulfx; 10-12-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Update to this after clearing db/cache and i managed a clean exit without killing the process.
                                I restarted and it seems to be holding the 450MB average that i have for my 9 Tabs in the window.
                                It climbed to almost 2000MB before i exited and cleared db/cache and restarted.
                                Will report back as i leave to run for a while.
                                thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                                Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post RookieTrader  
                                Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post PaulMohn  
                                Started by love2code2trade, 04-17-2024, 01:45 PM
                                4 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post love2code2trade  
                                Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                                Working...
                                X