Enter on same bar in backtesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enter on same bar in backtesting

NT 6.5 does only enter the next bar if a condition is met this bar. This is a serious setback for strategies which are not based on the close values, like if we cross a pivot line intraday, or if price goes above a previous high.

Here we need to enter immediately at this price at this bar. So, if the high of that bar is above that threshold and the low is underneath it, we could enter at that bar for that price (or add slippage etc.). This is a must for serious backtesting!

The argument to not have it implemented here to protect from peeking does not apply here.

The solution to use shorter intervals to simulate adds a lot of uncertainites (e.h. if you got acceptable quality of lets say 5min historical intrady data which your system is based on, now adding additional 1min or even tick multiplies the risk of bad data which is a given) and is often impossible: EOD data might be available, but no intraday data for that same period. Also true for minute based data, but no tick data.

I wanted to move from Wealth-Lab which can back test on the actual bar to NT because NT can trade on the tick (=actual, not finished bar, or ghost bar). Now I have one SW which can backtest but not trade on the bar, and one (NT) which can trade but not backtest!

Hello BillCH,

Please set 'Calculate on bar close' to False for your automated strategy, so conditions will be calculated intrabar; on each incoming tick. More information can be found at the link below.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason,

what I was talking about was enter on the same bar where a entry signal would be triggerd in BACKTESTING, there it isn't, even if I set 'Calculate on bar close' to False, or is it?

In real (intraday) trading it works fine, at least it seems as this is my first day using NT to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by BillCh View Post
        Thanks Jason,

what I was talking about was enter on the same bar where a entry signal would be triggerd in BACKTESTING, there it isn't, even if I set 'Calculate on bar close' to False, or is it?

In real (intraday) trading it works fine, at least it seems as this is my first day using NT to do so.
        Hello,

See this link on how to backtest within bars: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=6652
        Ray S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
        7 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
        Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
        10 responses
        0 likes