NT8 memory usage crashes NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 memory usage crashes NT

Had a workspace up. Noticed on task manager NT was using more and more RAM. I have 32 GB's and NT used up most of it and then crashed.

This has occurred ~7x since 12/16.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us to report this item.

So that I may investigate I would ask that you contact me by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. I will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20170305.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by nepenthean View Post
      Had a workspace up. Noticed on task manager NT was using more and more RAM. I have 32 GB's and NT used up most of it and then crashed.

This has occurred ~7x since 12/16.
      I have been in contact with NT support for the last two weeks about this memory leak issue. I absolutely cannot let NT run for a few hours because more and more memory is consumed leading to a crash. I thought I narrowed it down to an indicator causing the crash but it crashes even without that indicator in use but the memory used is much less. I've been eliminating one indicator at a time and letting NT run for several hours. Right now I removed my OFA charts to see how it will run. So far after about 20 min memory usage has stayed below 800 mb although a few times it went higher.

I have not located the source of the problem yet. Did you ever find a solution?

Comment

Delerium,

Since you had mentioned you have an ongoing case with support that is not yet resoled, I'd be happy to schedule a remote support session with you during our normal support hours to investigate this matter further. To schedule, could you please contact me by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the email.

Comment

I was experiencing similar problems with memory leaks and crashes and was able to greatly reduce the frequency of the problem by disabling Tick Replay. After disabling Tick Replay, I created new workspaces from scratch. I also shutdown NT once per day.

I still experience a memory leak problem every few days, but the other days, the memory usage stays fairly constant throughout the day.

Like Delerium, I also use OFA for NT8. That add-on utilizes tick data as does another indicator I use.
          The Trading Mantis
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - The Trading Mantis

Comment

Hello gregschr,

Thanks for writing in.

I would be happy to review your files also if you would like to write in to Platform Support using the instructions in my previous reply.

Comment

Originally posted by gregschr View Post

Like Delerium, I also use OFA for NT8. That add-on utilizes tick data as does another indicator I use.
              Thanks Gregschr I have now been running NT8 for 12 hours now WITHOUT OFA charts and memory has stayed below 800 mb, this is a record for me. I have 6 charts open, with minimal indicators on them.

I will see if it can run overnight into NY cash session without crashing. If there are no crashes then we know that we have to get on OFA to maybe rewrite some code.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
                Delerium,

Since you had mentioned you have an ongoing case with support that is not yet resoled, I'd be happy to schedule a remote support session with you during our normal support hours to investigate this matter further. To schedule, could you please contact me by email at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the email.
                Thanks Drew I will see what happens tomorrow morning, will leave NT8 running overnight without OFA charts. If it crashes I will be contacting you.

Comment

Thanks Drew, I just loaded version 8.0.5.1 as well as a new version from OFA.

If the memory leak shows up again, I'll contact you so you can review my files.
                  The Trading Mantis
                  NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - The Trading Mantis

Comment

Upgrading to NT 8.0.5.1 and also getting a new OFA plug-in seems to have helped. I have been running OFA charts with a couple of regular charts for the last 5 hours or so and memory has stayed around 600 mb or so, no memory leaks and most importantly NT8 has not crashed.

Comment

Same problem ?

I too am experiencing a memory leak?

My system runs at around 600mb, but if left for a few hours could end up with 2-3 gb and a freeze so have to restart in task manager running 8.0.5.1.

I am also having a cant write to cache error if thats part of the cause?

Comment

Originally posted by fredfred123 View Post
                        I too am experiencing a memory leak?

My system runs at around 600mb, but if left for a few hours could end up with 2-3 gb and a freeze so have to restart in task manager running 8.0.5.1.

I am also having a cant write to cache error if thats part of the cause?
                        In my case I removed indicators one-by-one to narrow down the cause. I had task manager open all the time to monitor memory usage. I believe there are many indicators out there that aren't coded properly for NT8.

Comment

I am sure that is the case, especially as NT8 has only recently come out of Beta, and there have been a few changes.

What I don't understand is if an indicator is playing up, I would expect to see an error and Ninja 8 to play up all the time?
                          In my case it can be working perfectly with changing chart views and selecting currencies and time frames no problem, then I leave it running unattended for a couple of hours and the platform is frozen and I have 2-3 gb's gobbled up with Ninja ?
                          I have 32gb of installed RAM

This morning I had a frozen platform twice with 3gbs used, restarted and has been running sweet ever since using only 663 mgs. A rogue indicator would surely act up more when in use?

Comment

It can crash regardless of how much RAM you have in your computer. I have 16 gb of RAM and it doesn't matter that less than half of that is used because NT8 would still crash (before the updates I made). There is something about letting it run for a few hours by itself that results in the leak. Remove one indicator at a time and let it run for several hours, watch the task manager to see how quickly or slowly NT8 uses the memory. I was able to run my platform for over 24 hours after removing my OFA indicator.

Comment

Hello fredfred123,

I would be happy to look into this item with you directly. To do this, please write in to Platform Support using the instructions in my previous replies.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Barry Milan  
                              Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes