Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Catch22 With Strategy Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch22 With Strategy Builder

I find myself in what appears to be a locked dilemma. I built a strategy in Strategy Buiilder. It compiled and ran. I then modified it in such a way that it became un-compilable. The error message tells me that I have to fix it using the NinjaScript editor, but since the Ninjascript Editor will only let me open strategies (or indicators as well I suppose) which are compilable, I can't open it to edit it, and since Strategy Builder won't let me open the now-flawed strategy so I can unlock it so I can edit it in NinjaScript Editor, I appear to be stuck. The only obvious answer is to delete, and start over, but there is time invested in building the strategy and it seems kind of dumb that the only available alternative I have is to trash it and start over. You guys are smart, and I'm sure you wouldn't do this on purpose, so there must be a work around that I just can't see. Is there a work around?
    Thanks
    DaveN

Hello Daven,

For the time being, can you try disabling the script from being compiled? In the NinjaScript editor right click on the strategy and choose "Exclude from compilation". Afterwards complete a compile and check for errors.

Could you also tell me what steps you have used to reach this state? We could look at the strategy outside of the platform to see if it can be reverted to work again, but I would like to prevent this from happening to start with if possible.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I tried disabling compiling, but then the strategy can't be opened by strategy builder when that is done, and since it was left in a state that was unlocked, it wasn't available to open in the editor. I think my main issue was instead of compiling before finishing in the strategy builder, I just hit "finish". That appears to be the source of the issue, also, don't close the strategy in the builder if it is in an uncompilable state. That is a straight shot down the rabbit hole. I just deleted it, and rebuilt it from scratch. I didn't figure I would hear back before the weekend was done so I just did it. Hopefully I can avoid this in the future, but it does feel kind of "buggy" to me. It seems a bit to easy to get oneself in a state that can't be exited, short of blowing everything up and starting over. Maybe you should add a warning about not closing the strategy builder if a strategy is not able to be compiled.
      Thanks
      DaveN

Comment

Hello Daven,

Yes, I wouldn't expect the strategy to be able to be opened at this point, we would need to look at that outside of the NinjaScript editor and see if we can revert the change. This was just to get rid of the compile error so you can use the platform for the weekend. Because you deleted the file we can stop pursuing the file at this point.

I do want to get more clear instruction on what options you had chosen in the builder prior to reaching this problem. Could you provide steps you had used or generate this situation again and provide those details? If I can reproduce a problem like this where you have to physically delete the script, that is likely a bug and I could provide that to development for a fix.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post usazencort  
        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
        5 responses