Multiple orders with same instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple orders with same instrument

Is it possible using Chart Trader or the DOM to have multiple orders on the same instrument but maintain their individual ATM strategy? I have two different charts each configured with a different ATM strategy. One is for a scalp the other is a longer term trade. When I submit the 2nd order it gets combined with the first order. Right now I am doing this in Replay/SIM mode if that makes any difference. If possible, please explain how I do it.

Thanks.

Hello mgregor,

Yes, this is possible. Please see the instructions below.

- Open 2 charts with ChartTrader enabled and set them both to the same market
    - Right click in one of the ChartTraders and select the menu "ChartTrader Properties"
    - Set the 'ATM Strategy selection mode' parameter to "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly"
    - Repeat the last two instructions on the second ChartTrader
    - Submit an entry order with an ATM strategy attached to open a position in the first ChartTrader
    - Submit an entry order with an ATM strategy attached to open another position in the second ChartTrader
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So, another question on this topic.

Can you run separate ATM strategies on the same chart and they maintain their separate profit/loss targets. For instance, if I have both sell and buy limit orders on the chart. If the sell orders are taken and create a short position, if price then hits the buy orders and initiates a long position, will they maintain separate profit/loss targets? Or do I need to have a different chart for each ATM strategy? In other words, if I don't plan to reverse positions, but want concurrent strategies on the same market, should I always use separate charts for each strategy?

Comment

Yes, please use separate charts for such a setup.

Comment

I'm still having issues with this, and I don't know if its me or a bug. When I used separate charts, the orders still clashed even though the "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly" is enabled.

Again, my goal is to be able to have multiple concurrent trades in the same market, but keep separate risk and reward targets. In the picture attached, the following is what I'm seeing:

1. Prices enters Sell Zone and a Short position is initiated with 3 orders
          2. Price enters Buy Zone and a Long position is initiated with 6 orders
          3. Auto trail modfies the original entry price of the Short position to that of the entry price of the Long position (Based on what is in the logs)
          4 The first Profit Target for the Short position is met and executes, leaving 2 Short orders
          5. One tick later, the entire Long position is stopped out and closed
          6. The remaining 2 Short orders should have become more profitable as price continued down. Instead, the entry price of the 2 Short orders was again modified by "auto-trail" to that of the Stop of the Long orders. When I manually closed these 2 positions above the stop, they became losses, instead of being profitable. Hopefully, that is clearly visible on the picture

It should be noted that this was in Sim Mode, so I don't know if its has hang ups with this. What is also interesting is that I tried this exact scenario on another NT system using Market Replay, and it kept everything separate as expected and each individual risk and reward target was adhered to.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by manten808 View Post
            I'm still having issues with this, and I don't know if its me or a bug. When I used separate charts, the orders still clashed even though the "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly" is enabled.

Again, my goal is to be able to have multiple concurrent trades in the same market, but keep separate risk and reward targets. In the picture attached, the following is what I'm seeing:

1. Prices enters Sell Zone and a Short position is initiated with 3 orders
            2. Price enters Buy Zone and a Long position is initiated with 6 orders
            3. Auto trail modfies the original entry price of the Short position to that of the entry price of the Long position (Based on what is in the logs)
            4 The first Profit Target for the Short position is met and executes, leaving 2 Short orders
            5. One tick later, the entire Long position is stopped out and closed
            6. The remaining 2 Short orders should have become more profitable as price continued down. Instead, the entry price of the 2 Short orders was again modified by "auto-trail" to that of the Stop of the Long orders. When I manually closed these 2 positions above the stop, they became losses, instead of being profitable. Hopefully, that is clearly visible on the picture

It should be noted that this was in Sim Mode, so I don't know if its has hang ups with this. What is also interesting is that I tried this exact scenario on another NT system using Market Replay, and it kept everything separate as expected and each individual risk and reward target was adhered to.
            Just another example of a long standing issue with how trades are reported, as opposed to how we set up the trades.

Here is an old even more egregious example: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...d.php?p=328059

Comment

Hello manten808,

Unfortunately executions are paired into trades in NinjaTrader based on time of occurrence. The instructions I provided will separate it in two windows. However when you create a trade report under the Account Performance-tab, it can generate unexpected results as it pairs executions based on time of occurrence. The only way to keep it completely separated would be trading 2 accounts.

Comment

Thanks for that info Jason. That's a pretty significant caveat. Does that apply to live trading as well?

Comment

Yes, the same applies upon trading live. The NinjaTrader platform (Account Performance-tab) will form trades using executions based on time of occurrence as per the From and To dates you select.

Comment

I would love ninja trader includes this feature. Please send to development/improvement department.
                    Thank you in advance

Comment

Hello Francisco romero,

Thank you for your post.

These posts were referring to NinjaTrader 7. Unfortunately, NinjaTrader 7's development life cycle has ended. It is unlikely that any updates other than critical and maintenance updates will occur for NinjaTrader 7.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries you may have.
                      Shawn B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by kevinenergy, 02-17-2023, 12:42 PM
                      118 responses
                      1 like
                      Last Post kevinenergy  
                      Started by briansaul, Today, 05:31 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes