Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Please help - strategy analyzer gives unhandled exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help - strategy analyzer gives unhandled exception

re: strategy analyzer

when running an optimization i am suddenly greeted with error message ''unhandled exception. object reference not set to an instance of an object''

i restarted ninja to no avail.
    Ninja version is most recent 8.0.6.0.
    the analyzer has successfully run a few times with the new version.

Hello joemiller,

Thanks for writing in.

Are you referring to a crash while running an optimization backtest in 8.0.5.2 that does not occur in 8.0.6.0?

If you are referring to receiving crashes in the current version (8.0.6.0,) please answer the following questions so we can diagnose and reproduce this matter:

Do you see results when running the same test on the SampleMaCrossOver strategy in NinjaTrader with the same settings as your strategy?

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.

Are you connected to your data feed provider when running this test?

What instrument(s) (and expiry if applicable) have you selected?

What Data Series Type have you selected? Example: Tick, Minute, Day

What From and To date is selected?

Is your strategy a multi instrument or multi time frame strategy?

Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Are you referring to a crash while running an optimization backtest in 8.0.5.2 that does not occur in 8.0.6.0?
      no

If you are referring to receiving crashes in the current version (8.0.6.0,) please answer the following questions so we can diagnose and reproduce this matter:
      yes, referring to receiving crashes in the current version (8.0.6.0)

Do you see results when running the same test on the SampleMaCrossOver strategy in NinjaTrader with the same settings as your strategy?
      yes same results [i.e.] same error

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.
      ninja continuum and fxcm forex

Are you connected to your data feed provider when running this test?
      yes

What instrument(s) (and expiry if applicable) have you selected?
      emini future - es 06-17

What Data Series Type have you selected? Example: Tick, Minute, Day
      day

What From and To date is selected?
      3/19/2017 to 4/19/2017

Is your strategy a multi instrument or multi time frame strategy?
      no

Do you receive an error on screen? Are there errors on the Log tab of the Control Center? If so, what do these errors report?
      error is on screen. log tab has same error [i.e.] ‘’unhandled exception – object reference not set to an instance of an object’’

Comment

Hello joemiller,

Thanks for providing that detail.

I have not been able to reproduce this issue with the Optimizer crashing within the Strategy Analyzer after testing 3/19/2017 to 4/19/2017 on the ES 06-17 and NQ 06-17 while connected to your providers.

I have also tested with a full year interval without issue and I have had set optimization settings to iterate from 0 to 10 by increments of 1 for the FastMA and 0 to 25 in increments of 1 for the SlowMA.

The issue sounds like it is local to your PC. The strategy Analyzer and the Optimizer especially are very resource intensive components in NinjaTrader. We advise to follow as many performance tips as possible when back testing your strategies.

For example, we advise to download the data required for the back test beforehand and run the back test after you have disconnected from your providers and have closed any workspaces/open charts.

Are you still able to experience crashes with the SampleMACrossover strategy after you have downloaded data from your provider, disconnected, closed open workspaces, and have then run the back test?

I look forward to hearing back.

Comment

i still get the error after 1] restarting the computer 2] un-installing/installing ninja trader and 3] just RUNNING A STANDARD BACK TEST instead of an optimization back test. my understanding is that a standard back test requires minimal computer resources compared to an optimization back test?

when i first updated to version 8.0.6.0 a couple of days ago the analyzer ran ok. do you think a virus could be in my software?

Comment

Hello joemiller,

In order to assist you further, I would like to get connected on a remote support session to investigate the matter further.

Please send me an email at platformsupport[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with the text "Attn Jim" and a copy of the thread URL.

Please also include a time within our support hours when we may best reach you, as well as a phone number you would prefer us to contact you on. (Please include a time zone.) Our regular support hours are 8:30am to 6pm US Eastern, Monday through Friday.

I look forward to being of further help.

Comment

FYI ... in case it's useful info for anyone

the error message ''unhandled exception. object reference not set to an instance of an object''
              ceased to occur at some point during a time when i was closing and opening workspaces.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Pattontje  
              Started by flybuzz, 04-21-2024, 04:07 PM
              17 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post TradingLoss