Question on Referencing another Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Referencing another Indicator

Indicator A which is installed on a chart defines globally and populates a DataSeries whether it be plot or something else.

Indicator B would like to use that DataSeries.

Indicator B can define an instance of Indicator A and access that DataSeries but then we have Two instances of indicator A running.

Is there another method for Indicator B to access that DataSeries directly from the already running version of Indicator A ?

Thanks for any input.

Hello JerryWar,

Thank you for your post.

Indicator's would not be able to access other indicator's instances. However, in a strategy when adding the indicators you can create instantiated indicators and then plot those and access their values.

For example:
    Code:
            private SMA sma1;
    		private SMA sma2;

protected override void Initialize()
            {
    			sma1 = SMA(10);
    			sma2 = SMA(20);
    			Add(sma1);
    			Add(sma2);
            }
    Keep in mind this would only work in a strategy.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Patrick
      Thanks - That is pretty clear. In this situation , I don't think a strategy is going to get it done.
      I do have one follow up question. Inside an indicator when I add a higher level time frame.
      Is there anyway to specify a longer barsback period than the barsback set for the root data series. I am trying to conserve resources. If I extend the root data barsback it will tie up too many resources. What I need is for the higher time frame dataseries added in the indicator to
      have a longer barsback period but I do not see an overload which will accept that in the Add().

Comment

Originally posted by JerryWar View Post
        Patrick
        Thanks - That is pretty clear. In this situation , I don't think a strategy is going to get it done.
        I do have one follow up question. Inside an indicator when I add a higher level time frame.
        Is there anyway to specify a longer barsback period than the barsback set for the root data series. I am trying to conserve resources. If I extend the root data barsback it will tie up too many resources. What I need is for the higher time frame dataseries added in the indicator to
        have a longer barsback period but I do not see an overload which will accept that in the Add().
        Thank you for your response.

There would not be a means to set the bars back of the secondary series in NinjaTrader 7. In NinjaTrader 8 you can use the barsToLoad overload: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...dataseries.htm

Comment

Patrick,
          You just made me realize the obvious. All I need do is delay the start of the computations on the root
          series and that should eliminate my issue. I also gave more thought to what you said about a strategy and possibly there is a way that can be useful but it requires splitting apart a complex indicator and I had always envisioned going the other way i.e. having my indicator feed my Strategy.

thanks again.
          Jerry

Comment

Patrick,
            I want to set the start date/time of my calculations x days back on the root Tick data series. So rather than checking for

" if (CurrentBars[0] < BarsRequired ) return " I want to do something like

if ( Current Day < ( Today(Time[0]) - 2 days) ) return

But I am having trouble with subtraction part because I want to only consider Weekday, trading days excluding holidays. Is there a function that uses the session template that will allow me to calculate this simply. If you have any links or examples that would be great.

Jerry

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

Thank you for your post.

The Session information could be pulled for this purpose: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...t7/session.htm

Comment

I seem to be having a fundamental problem in determining Current Day - 2 days regardless of session template. The issue is that I cannot figure out how to get the current Day. I can get the day of any bar
                using Today(Time[0]) but I need to know the current day before the indicator winds up to be able to know when to start calculating. Of course I could use the computer Date but then it will not work on Replay data. How do I do this?

thanks

Comment

Hello JerryWar,

Thank you for your patience.

You could pull Time[0].Date or Time[0].Day, whichever you need. Information on what can be pulled from the DateTime object Time can be found at the following link: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.110).aspx

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Denver_Wayne  
                  Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes