Getting rid of system level modal dialog windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of system level modal dialog windows

Please explain why some NT windows implemented in rather harsh way, in respect to the overall system usability as interacting with other applications.

Examples:

- NT startup splash screen (why not to have an option to disable it ot make it as a little unobtrusive ribbon just above Windows taskbar or even just as status hint for taskbar icon

- Data feed retrieval dialogs (even abort button on all isn't the solution)

- Many other dialogs you guys knowing them all...

Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

+1!

In particular, please negate use of modal dialogs for Strategies/Indicators parameters for charts. What I'd love to do is be able to pull up 2 Strategies side by side from different charts for comparing settings. Its a bit painful to constantly open up one, then the other, back and forth to go thru a series of params for comparison reasons...

Comment

Apparently they don't know how to fix this, it's been asked for by the community many times over.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post
          Apparently they don't know how to fix this, it's been asked for by the community many times over.
          The last I heard it will be addressed in NT7.

I agree with your sentiment though.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliott Wave View Post
            The last I heard it will be addressed in NT7.
            I know I've been on a tear lately. The thing is, NT support is well regarded, but lately support's answer to everything is re-install, wait for NT7, or "don't do that". It's like NT 6.5 can do no wrong or as if the developers don't use their own product.

With all that, NT 6.5 is still the best. If it weren't I'd be long gone by now due to the engineering behind the product. I get the feeling the support team is overwhelmed and powerless to do anything, and engineering for whatever reason is failing to meet customer expectations.

If more resources are needed, I will happily pay! A lot! If resources or money are the issue, then I believe I speak for the majority of daily users who use NT for trading real money -- we'll pay more! Twice as much, three times as much, for a product that does what we really want. I understand giving away the product for free for backtesting is a marketing concept and branding, but if it is tying up valuable resources and directing them away from the paying community, then change the policy somewhat (90 day trial?).

I just want it to succeed. Without complaints Ray or whomever won't address/change priorities, projects, teams, personnel, or overall strategy.

Problem is, we've been told everything is addressed in NT 7. I can think of only very few items that NT has said _won't_ be addressed in NT 7.

NT 7 is what we call vaporware for the moment. The NT team has a good track record, so we know it will come out eventually, but we're just asked to trust in them that it will fix everything. By us, I mean paying customers who put thousands of dollars of real money on the line every day and trade live using NT.

We've been told NT7 doesn't support Windows 7, doesn't utilize x64, doesn't fix the 1.3GB memory problem... and I suspect as we get closer to a beta and a final (end of the this year? next year?) we'll find a long list of other things that didn't get fixed or supported. The thing is, I am fine with that! I understand not everything can be done in one release! _So why try??_

Incremental changes are better than this approach. I am sure there are many groundbreaking things that _will_ actually make their way into NT7 (next year?), but I use NT daily _now_, 8-12 hours a day _now_, and I just want small incremental improvements, _now_ (or over the last six months).

It would seem NT7 isn't being re-written from scratch, because if it were, then x64 would be supported naively and no 1.3GB memory limit. So, that means whatever new code is being enhanced but not scrapped and replaced from scratch can probably be made to work in the current code base.

Again, incremental changes. If NT7 were a ground-up re-write, then that wouldn't be the case and this approach wouldn't work, but it's not. Do I know it's not for certain? Of course not, but surely if it were a complete re-write we'd fix obvious problems like x64/memory limit issues.

I hope NT doesn't delete this message. I am a dedicated fan, and again I believe support is trying to do the right thing but is so overwhelmed and receiving such little support from engineering, they can't make any headway.

I stick to what I've said that NT 6.5, with all its faults, is still the best out there. I just hope Ray will adjust his priorities and re-examine his time tables and plan.

Good hunting,
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ctrlbrk View Post
              If more resources are needed, I will happily pay! A lot! If resources or money are the issue, then I believe I speak for the majority of daily users who use NT for trading real money -- we'll pay more! Twice as much, three times as much, for a product that does what we really want. I understand giving away the product for free for backtesting is a marketing concept and branding, but if it is tying up valuable resources and directing them away from the paying community, then change the policy somewhat (90 day trial?).
              Unfortunately, in this case, you don't speak for me. I like NinjaTrader's $50/month licensing fee. I like NinjaTrader's business model.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbloomfield View Post
                Unfortunately, in this case, you don't speak for me. I like NinjaTrader's $50/month licensing fee. I like NinjaTrader's business model.
                Sure I respect that. Trading is my living, $50 is "nothing" when it comes to having a better tool to earn my living. We're talking 1-2 seconds of one single trade out of hundreds each month will cost more than $50.

Increasing it to $200-300 a month would be fine with me, if all the issues with it were resolved.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Mindset, 05-06-2023, 09:03 PM
                9 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post ender_wiggum  
                Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Mizzouman1