Collapse

Chart not being updated on laptop while display turned off or lid closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it has anything to do with my machine. The problem is NT8 only, NT7 works well.

Comment

We need to discover the root of the issue as we have not been able to reproduce this on our end. Can you confirm - did you check the settings myself and JerryWar mentioned?

Please my instructions to send your files or reply to the message you received from us when you first sent your files.

Comment

That's a good argument. I have seen a chart go black on my desktop momentarily but then clicking on it restored it and I have only seen it once or twice over the months.

Comment

Will send you log again after market, but I don't think it'll help. I sent it to you last week, looks nothing logged in the file.

Comment

on futher thought, The System requirements for NT8 are different than NT7 especially the graphics. It wouldn't hurt to check your event log.

Comment

I checked all my settings, everything looks good. NT7 is working on the same machine, the same way.

Comment

gjing, we've been speaking via email. Lets continue the conversation there so we can further troubleshoot what you're experiencing. I'll be following up via email shortly.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

I sent you log file with your suggestion for testing. I still saw the same problem.

Thank you.

Comment

All 3 of my charts in market replay stopped at some point with the display turned off since the replay takes 6.5 hours.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

It happens at random times. This started around November 2016 release.

Everything is still calculating in NT8.0.3.1, the strategies are running fine, it's just all the chart stops updating. Before I noticed on my Win10 laptop, and now it is on my Win7 laptops. 2 of them specifically today. (It didn't happen on last nights run).

If I touch in the chart with the mouse and move the candles, it will update to the most current day.

Surprisingly - I just uploaded the screencast image, and looked at my laptop screen - and all charts finally updates to the current date.

My other laptops still has 2 charts that haven't updated yet (I did manually force the ^VIX chart to update).

I'm not too concerned about it - all the results are there and everything else is as it should be - but this might offer some clue into live with charts stopping and not updating.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, Sledge.

We're tracking this internally as QA-2649. I'll add your information to that internal tracking.

Comment

Originally posted by aslane View Post
                        Sounds a lot like a problem I reported in the Beta (and it still persists in 8.0.3). See http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...ad.php?t=90367

The problem is NT does not update/render a window if there is no update (no new data), but the issue is with WPF/Windows/Graphics drivers when the display is turned off the cache of the window contents is lost, and when the display is turned back on the window is rendered black by the OS/driver. This may be graphics adapter specific, but I know it happens when using built in Intel GPU (which would cover some laptops also).

I provided a potential fix for NT in the original thread but was never implemented. NT needs to detect that the display turned on and mark all windows to update/render.
                        Good tip about the laptop Intel GPU. My Windows 7 box is running NT8 with display off (on 2nd monitor, so not sure how this plays into things), but the light on the power button is still white (indicating no Nvidia Quadro activity). I changed the Intel performance setting from Balanced to "Maximum Performance".

I've been having issues with my other laptop running NT8B4 so I haven't paid attention as much - but I do know it is running NT8 with the Nvidia Quadro, as the power button is Orange. I do not recall this kind of chart stoppage on there.

Interesting, my newer laptop I can not change from balanced. I'll have to try on reboot next time. Will report back to see if it helps this week.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                          Good tip about the laptop Intel GPU. My Windows 7 box is running NT8 with display off (on 2nd monitor, so not sure how this plays into things), but the light on the power button is still white (indicating no Nvidia Quadro activity). I changed the Intel performance setting from Balanced to "Maximum Performance".

I've been having issues with my other laptop running NT8040 so I haven't paid attention as much - but I do know it is running NT8 with the Nvidia Quadro, as the power button is Orange. I do not recall this kind of chart stoppage on there.

Interesting, my newer laptop I can not change from balanced. I'll have to try on reboot next time. Will report back to see if it helps this week.
                          Update: Changing Intel onboard graphics to max performance did not help.
                          I have a ^VIX chart stuck at 1:30pm. Going to restart with Nvidia Quadro 2000.

Comment

We have made some improvements based on the feedback we received in this thread. Item 11147 was included in the 8.0.5.0 release today. Here is a link to the release notes:

Please upgrade to the latest version of NinjaTrader 8:
                            • First get your license key from NinjaTrader under Help> License Key then exit NinjaTrader
                            • Click on the link: http://ninjatrader.com/PlatformDirect
                            • Enter your license key and press Submit
                            • Select 'NinjaTrader 8'
                            • Select 'Download'
                            • Critical: Before running the installer, ensure NinjaTrader is closed.

Comment

Using Nvidia Quadro secondary addon card did not help previously.

I have upgraded to 8.0.5.0 tonight and have 1 laptop running with Intel HD and the other laptop running with Nvidia Quadro (both on latest drivers).

I will be keeping my eye out on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                                We have made some improvements based on the feedback we received in this thread. Item 11147 was included in the 8.0.5.0 release today.
                                Logged in remotely, laptop 2 Vix chart was at 11am, other charts at 12:45pm, saw Vix chart catch up to 12:45pm by filling in.

Screen is off. Using remote desktop connection to access, so screen doesn't turn on.

Will keep watching.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post algospoke  
                                Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes