Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debug Mode adds line number to exception information

Documentation Suggestion:

The NinjaTrader documentation below does not mention the enormous time savings that compiling with Debug Mode can yield during testing, even when Visual Studio is not available.

o Debugging your NinjaScript Code http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3418
    o Indicator: Using Try-Catch Blocks http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9825
    o Help for Debug

Below is the output from indicator SampleTryCatch above with Debug Mode disabled:

1/9/2009 12:11:00 AM System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
    at NinjaTrader.Indicator.DataSeriesHelper.get_Item(In t32 barsAgo)
    at NinjaTrader.Indicator.SampleTryCatch.OnBarUpdate()

After compiling with Debug Mode enabled the output shows the cs file and line number where the exception occurred:

1/9/2009 12:11:00 AM System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
    at NinjaTrader.Indicator.DataSeriesHelper.get_Item(In t32 barsAgo)
    at NinjaTrader.Indicator.SampleTryCatch.OnBarUpdate() in c:\Documents and Settings\JW\My Documents\NinjaTrader 6.5\bin\Custom\Indicator\SampleTryCatch.cs:line 57

I suggest that this benefit of testing with Debug Mode enabled be added to NinjaTrader documentation.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Comment

Another suggestion: The following message is displayed when a compile is run with Debug Mode enabled:

Enabling "Debug Mode" should only be used by advanced programmers that intend to debug their NinjaScript code in Visual Studio. Compiling NinjaScript objects with this mode enabled will results in a run time performance penalty.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE THIS MODE ONCE YOU ARE COMPLETE WITH YOUR DEBUG AND RECOMPILE YOUR NINJASCRIPT OBJECTS.

The sentence that I have marked in red is not true and should be removed from the warning.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. However, we consider debugging NinjaScript as feature for advanced users only.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          Thanks for your feedback. However, we consider debugging NinjaScript as feature for advanced users only.

When I first enabled Debug Mode, I read the warning:

"Enabling "Debug Mode" should only be used by advanced programmers that intend to debug their NinjaScript code in Visual Studio. . . ."

and interpreted it as:

if (Advanced_Programmer & Have_Visual_Studio)
          Debug_Mode_will_help_find_errors = true

else
          Debug_Mode_will_help_find_errors = false

Since I did not have Visual Studio, I disabled Debug Mode and did not try it again until recently. Recently, I was having a problem finding the cause of an intermittent exception using the recommendations from "Debugging your NinjaScript Code" http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3418 . After several days I downloaded the trial version of Visual Studio. While following the instructions for using it with NT I enabled Debug Mode. Before I even had a chance to start Visual Studio, my catch clause displayed the line number of the statement causing the exception. I inserted the needed "if (Bars.GetSessionBar(i) != null)" statement and the problem was fixed. My first reaction was joy that I had found the problem, but it turned to disgust when I realized the hundreds of hours that I had wasted debugging NT code without Debug Mode enabled.

I said in my earlier post that the "Enabling "Debug Mode" should only be used by advanced programmers that intend to debug their NinjaScript code in Visual Studio. . . ." statement is not true. I firmly believe that:

if (Advanced_Programmer & Do_Not_Have_Visual_Studio)

if (Not_Advanced_Programmer & Do_Not_Have_Visual_Studio)

if (Not_Advanced_Programmer & Have_Visual_Studio)

Which means that:
          Debug_Mode_will_help_everyone_find_errors = true
          Last edited by Jim W.; 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for adding the details, we fully understand that advanced users benefit from using the debug mode.
            BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I believe his point is that Visual Studio is not required for using Debug Mode.

Comment

Ya... I agree mgbloomfield...
                I think this 'bandwidth problem' starts to become a real issue...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                21 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Bidder
                by Bidder

Started by timmbbo, 07-05-2023, 10:21 PM
                3 responses
                0 likes