Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playback control Go To moves 5 minutes at a time

Hey guys -

This sounds like a bug because it works differently than NJT 7 so I wanted to verify.

Let's say I download some market replay data for 5/16/2017.

After connecting to Playback, I go to the Playback control and change the Start to 5/15/2017 and End to 5/16/2017.

The Playback control at Top says 5/15/2017 11:00 PM.

I right click and choose 'Go To' and then specify 5/16/2017 7:30AM and hit OK.

The Playback controller then greys out and immediately goes to 5/16/2017 7:30AM but then immediately reverts back to 5/15/2017 11:00 PM and then slowly moves 5 minutes at a time until it reaches 5/16/2017 7:30AM. The controls are then enabled once 7:30AM is reached.

What is going on here?

Hello PN720,

This is as expected. The Playback needs to replay the data when you fast forward using the 'Go to' function - it does not skip the data. When I test it on my end, it does not fast forward 5 minutes at a time, but about 30 minutes at a time. How many workspaces/charts do you have opened? Does it go to the selected time faster if you just have 1 workspace opened with 1 chart?
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, I just tried it again to verify and it is skipping 5 minutes and some change at a time.

I have no charts open so it's just the main NJT window.

The skipping must have changed since NJT 7 since that version did it instantly.

Comment

NinjaTrader 7 immediately moved to the time, however, this could cause indicators and other items to not calculate correctly due to the differences between real-time and historical data.

NinjaTrader 8 automatically replays the data at max speed up to your go to time so that all things can be calculated using real-time data.

This is expected and will vary based on the complexity of your workspace(s) and processing power of your PC.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I sometimes use NJT 7 for simulation with a few indicators so if those were sometimes incorrect, due to the immediate skipping feature, I'll just use NJT 8 from now on.

Comment

That sounds really slow. Is your machine pretty old? Dual core? Should be a lot faster if nothing is open and all workspaces are closed.

Does max speed run in 5 minutes increments also?

Originally posted by PN720 View Post

The Playback controller then greys out and immediately goes to 5/16/2017 7:30AM but then immediately reverts back to 5/15/2017 11:00 PM and then slowly moves 5 minutes at a time until it reaches 5/16/2017 7:30AM. The controls are then enabled once 7:30AM is reached.

What is going on here?

Comment

Sorry, I just realized that I never answered this question until I started doing some more simulation recently.

I have very fast machines. Both my desktop and laptop are i7s 3.2GHz or higher with 16-32GB of RAM. I can see that NJT is pegged out in Task Manager so I know NJT 8 is working. I just accept it now. After I select my Go To time, I step away for some coffee while it fast forwards 5 minutes at a time until it arrives at its final destination.

This occurs with no workspaces open.

Comment

Originally posted by PN720 View Post
                Sorry, I just realized that I never answered this question until I started doing some more simulation recently.

I have very fast machines. Both my desktop and laptop are i7s 3.2GHz or higher with 16-32GB of RAM. I can see that NJT is pegged out in Task Manager so I know NJT 8 is working. I just accept it now. After I select my Go To time, I step away for some coffee while it fast forwards 5 minutes at a time until it arrives at its final destination.

This occurs with no workspaces open.

What happens if you start at NT default midnight at MAX speed? 5 minute jumps or is normal?

Have you tried turning off "playback current day only"? Right Click in the market replay box for the check box.

And how many instruments are there in your database for replay? How much have you downloaded/recorded? 3 instruments? 5? 10?20?

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                  What happens if you start at NT default midnight at MAX speed? 5 minute jumps or is normal?

Have you tried turning off "playback current day only"? Right Click in the market replay box for the check box.

And how many instruments are there in your database for replay? How much have you downloaded/recorded? 3 instruments? 5? 10?20?
                  Hi again,

I just tried it running at MAX speed and it runs at about 7 minutes at a time.

I also tried disabling the 'playback current day only' checkbox. I definitely don't want to do that because it starts at the beginning of the available data and loops through it 5-7 minutes at a time until it arrives at my target time, instead of just doing it for the current day.

And I see about 12 instruments in my Market Replay list.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post gravdigaz6  
                  Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes