X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 error message i got when trying to import a ninja script add-on

Hi All,

I have a problem, the following:

NT 8 error message i got when trying to import a ninja script (indicator ...) in Tool -> Import -> Ninjascript Add-On

I have tried to import something a few days ago and got a message the software was not correct for my NT 8 rel .8.0.7.1 and I consider that was terminated badly at that point, stopping the import procedure with that warning message.
    Now, today I am trying again to import a new indicator I am sure it is right for my NT 8 release, but unsuccessfully: I still got the message herewith attached and cant move on .

So my question, is: how can I remove the bad software among many originally inserted / present in the indicator folder or the one I have imported and are working properly, how can I identify the one wrong to can remove surely it and only it ? Please could you help me to solve my prob ?

thanks in advance
    best regards
    A.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alinghy; 07-16-2017, 04:45 PM.

Hello Alinghy,

(edited to match NT8)
    Please follow the instructions below to see where the errors are coming from after compiling an indicator in NinjaTrader 8. This will allow you to debug the indicator/strategy or remove it from your PC. If you are wondering why you receive an error when compiling only one indicator, it is because NinjaTrader always compiles all indicators and strategies - not just one. This is done to give you the highest runtime performance possible.
    • Open NinjaTrader
    • From the Control Center click the New menu -> select NinjaScript Editor
    • On the right open a script such the Indicators -> ADL script
    • Right click in the window and select Compile to compile all scripts
    • At the bottom of the window a new section will appear where you can find the error locations.
    • From there you have the option to comment out offending code sections, remove the complete indicator or debug it to be able to compile again.

If you are unsure as to what the error is indicating, please send me a screenshot of the error with the error column fully expanded so that I may read the entire error message.
    (Click and drag on the small faint separator between column heads to expand that column)

To send a screenshot with Windows 7 or newer I would recommend using Window's Snipping Tool.

Click here for instructions

Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

Click here for detailed instruction

Please let me know if you would like assistance resolving the error.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

herewith attached, if I am right, the image of the result after compile of one indicator chosen among other with any specific preference (Adx)

Thanks to let me know

P.S.: Is this path correct ? I didn't find the "Edit NinjaScipt menu " in the suggested ...

From the Control Center select the Tools menu--> select the Edit NinjaScript menu item--> select Indicator
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Alinghy; 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Note: second image in case could usefull
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello Alinghy,

This is the correct window and I've corrected my previous post to match NT8 instead of NT7.

I am not able to view the full error messages as the Error column is not fully expanded.

However, these appear to be missing reference errors.

It is possible to remove the configuration file and then run the repair from the NinjaTrader installer to recreate these.
          (simple but requires recreating your connections as well)

Or I can assist with removing the references one by one and re-adding these.
          (advanced but does not require recreating the connections)

Would you be comfortable removing the configuration file and then running the repair and setting up the connections once more?

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,
            first question: why NT8 Team doesnt consider to build a security stop during the import procedures if any code is broken or not adequate, or duplicate, to avoid any troubbles, instead leaving things running and then we, as in may case, get lot of bulxxxit to repair it and loosing time also for a skilled programmer assistant as you are ? This problems were already present in the NT 7 , am I wrong ? It is very unpleasant to have all this lost of time because there isn't a stop in the import procedure to avoid this kind of situations ... I am a NT lifetime owner, but sometime I think if I invested my money in right way, sorry !

Why do you say you cant see all the error description I sent an image widely large to help you to read completely the error column ? Did you see the second image after compile ?
            what do you mean for " (simple but requires recreating your connections as well) "

Question: if I remove the whole NT 8 software and reinstall it could I cross over my problem rapidly ?

I have lot of setups and will loose a lot ol time ... !

regards
            Last edited by Alinghy; 07-16-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Hello Alinghy,

These kind of errors come up when something is done incorrectly.

If you would like me to investigate further what is causing the issue, do not take any actions at this time and we can schedule a call tomorrow during our normal support hours so that I can see what references are there.

If you would prefer this, please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

3rd party programs that do backups and antivirus can also cause issues with the installation of NinjaTrader.

These references to dlls are required for NinjaTrader to function. These errors indicate that the location was changed, or the configuration file was altered either manually or by a 3rd party program, or that possible a restore from a backup was done.
              It could also mean that the Config itself just became corrupted and may indicate the hard drive has bad sectors.

These instructions would be to correct the issue, however, this is not part of the normal experience of NinjaTrader users, this instead indicates some action has caused the paths to system dlls files to no longer be correct in the configuration file.

Comment

Dear ChelseaB,

when someone import a tool... i.e. an indicator provided from a 3rd party assume that the indicator software is running correctly , but sometimes it isn't ! Unfortunately a normal user cant be aware if the software is or not running in the right way " before " to import it, so this the reason I warmly suggest to consider to setup a protection in this specific procedure to avoid thi lost of time for both You and me, in the future, hopefully .
                Tomorrow will see what to do . thanks
                Bye

Comment

Hello Alinghy,

Are you wanting to submit a feature request to automatically open the ninjascript editor and show compile errors if there are compile errors?

Are you asking for something different?

Comment

Dear ChelseaB,

I am considering that up today using the power of software programming, could be useful avoid any useless lost of time or worst situations, and I cant believe that in the NT 8 version we are still here discussing about a bulxxxit ninjascript (as happened in NT 7) that anyone can find around the world due the big diffusion that NT has and tools (indicators) as well and falling in a adventure like this one.
                    Please do what you can and take in consideration what I am saying for a better and stronger affordable software with the needed checks in the short future, avoiding so stupid lost of time.
                    If someone, unknowingly, try to import a NON correctly programmed software tool, NT 8 " MUST" stop the import procedure and release and advise BEFORE and not AFTER, not doing as now happens the advise is displayed when too late.
                    I am not a programmer but in a situation like this I could understand I have to stop my action, while getting the advise after the import is in someway "done" and worst the import procedure result blocked for the next time, I consider not not usefull, do you agree with me ?

my best regards
                    Last edited by Alinghy; 07-17-2017, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Hello Alinghy,

If a script is not programmed correctly NinjaTrader will prevent you from importing this. Once imported, there will not be any errors as it imported ok.

However, that is not what has happened here.

Something happened on your specific computer where the path to the dlls files was changed, or the configuration file was lost or modified. These are not coding errors that I can see..

A script will not import if the references are not correct.

Would you like to address the issues with your specific machine that were caused by a change on your specific machine?

Comment

Hi ChelseaB

I frankly dont believe this falut could be due to any arrangement on my Pc, I have specific and dedicated machines where I dont run st upid file, warm, malware or whatever bullxxxt

I am extremely careful on what I do and plus on what I run on my Pc's. This anyway doesn't exclude an error or a misunderstanding or oversight ...

Tell me if you can connect to my pc, perhaps via Teamviewer, or what you normally use for this kind of probs/assistance and fully regenerate my NT 8.0.7.1

but I repeat believe me after importing an indicator / tool I got the advise (first image I sent you) and from that I am not able to import any more tools ...

Thanks to let me know non how to proceed

regards
                        A.

Comment

Hello A.,

Something was moved from one location to another location, or the configuration file was deleted or modified.

Thats what these errors mean. The errors indicate the paths (meaning the location of the files mentioned in the errors) are not matching what is in the configuration file.

This can happen when restoring a backup from another computer. Or can happen if files in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\ folder are deleted, or if the references are manually modified, or if the letter of the drive is changed to the program files or documents folders, or if the documents folder location is changed, or Config.xml file has become corrupted, or backup software has restored an older version, we find OneDrive causes a lot of issues with NinjaTrader and often restores the wrong version of files.

Basically it boils down to, the references have the wrong paths.

A script will not import if this will corrupt your installation or if you installation is already corrupt. (This is why you are getting compile errors. The reference paths have changed to different locations on your computer)

If you would like me to investigate further what is causing the issue, do not take any actions at this time and we can schedule a call tomorrow during our normal support hours so that I can see what references are there.

If you would prefer this, please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.
                          Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 07-17-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

solved ! But dont ask me how ... believe me I tried again to import the zip file and it seems running correctly.
                            The only "strange" thing, for chance, my mistake, 15 minutes ago, I wrongly started the NT 8 32 bit version then I stopped and close it , then started the x64, after that imported the zip file and done. Only after that I connected to the data feed ....
                            I am without words .

Repeat nothing of your correct suggestions / ipothesys in your last post, visibly, are in place, believe me.

Thanks for now, I'll be in touch with you if any news on this subject will occur.

Regards
                            A.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post DanielTynera  
                            Started by yertle, 04-18-2024, 08:38 AM
                            9 responses