Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Making NinjaScript Development Unit Testable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making NinjaScript Development Unit Testable

I'm writing a pretty complex strategy. It has about 30 individual source files so far and I'm only half-way finished. I'm using the technique I posted last week to allow me use different source files in my own structure. Unit tests are crucial for an application of this nature: it is financial in nature and contains a ton of math. Unit testing should be easy to do.... NinjaTrader makes great use of Interfaces for its classes.... So theoretically, I should be able to take an 'NinjaTrader.Data.IBar' interface, make my own "mock bar" object, throw it at my code and run some tests. Looks like a bar, acts like a bar, but doesn't need me to be connected to Ninja or FXCM to get it - I can test my code in isolation.

HOWEVER this cannot be done because you are running SecureCLI over your interfaces as well as your code. And any attempt to intialise a mock-type based on Ninjatrader.Data.IBar returns the following error:

Test method IBarTypeInitProblem.Test.TestMethod1 threw exception:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '<Module>' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: ptr
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetDelegate ForFunctionPointer(IntPtr*ptr,*Type*t)
    at <CliSecureRT>.InitializeThroughDelegate(IntPtr)
    at <CliSecureRT>.Initialize()
    at .cctor()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at IBarTypeInitProblem.Test.TestMethod1()

The cctor part is a static constructor - which CliSecure is adding to the Intermediate Language on the interface. Therefore any time I try to make an instance of my own type which implements this interface, the static constructor is called - it tries do do its usual security stuff under the hood and fails.

If I did the same task from inside the indicator while running within Ninjatrader - with the same mock type, it works, in my own unit test project, it doesn't. The point of unit testing, and using interfaces for mocking types is so that we can write loosely coupled software separate from Ninjatrader that is able to interface with Ninjatrader.

There is absolutely NO gain whatsoever from CliSecuring interfaces. I can still look at them in reflector or Visual Studio Object Browser and can see the implementation - that's the point - interfaces should be transparent. Its how other 'things' interface with 'things'.

I was happy to hear from Dave the PM last week that NT has gone further with allowing development from within Visual Studio. But if you guys are really serious about getting highly-experienced programmer using your software to write great strategies then you need to go a lot further - unit testing is a crucial part of this and securing interfaces is so utterly pointless.

Furthermore, its good architectural design practice (and feel free to get your Solution Architect to contact me directly, because I am one) to have interfaces separate from implementation http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/s...Interface.html for this exact reason - so that you can provide the interfaces to a third-party and let them write effective software based on these interfaces. The fact that NinjaTrader.Core.dll is 6 megabytes says it all.

I'm getting around this, but it is requiring me to make a whole load of new interfaces and eventargs identical to your own e.g ICandle - just so that I can write code without running Ninjatrader every 5 mins to test it.

Its not ideal. Could something be done please?

[Small test project attached which shows the problem]
    Last edited by reach4thelasers; 09-07-2015, 07:02 AM.

Turns out your NinjaTrader.Core dll is too big and I had to remove it from my test project. Try running this small unit test project with a CLI-SECURED version of ninjatrader.core.dll and you will see the issue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by reach4thelasers; 09-07-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for providing the detailed feedback on the platform.

I will submit this post to development for further review. If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
      JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

@reach4thelasers, have you been able to find a workaround for this issue? I am struggling with the same problem - http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...d.php?p=489345

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM
        0 responses
        1 view
        0 likes
        Last Post junkone
        by junkone

Started by quantismo, 04-17-2024, 05:13 PM
        5 responses