Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Visual Studio 2010 Debug Mode not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio 2010 Debug Mode not responding

I began using NT 7 recently. I have a 64 bits machine running Windows 7 professional. I just began using VS 2010 as well and have tried unsuccessfully to debug some code. I follow the routinely steps, set NT on Debug Mode, open the code in VS2010, attach to process, press F5 on the chart where I already have my indicator running… and nothing happens. The other thing I noticed is that the breakpoints have a warning saying “The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document”
    Is this a common issue? Any ideas what is going on?
    Thanks

lgarcia3, this is not a commonly known issue, I'm not aware of other reports on it - this is not the express version of VS correct? Are you compiling your NinjaScript again after enabling debug mode? And then reapplying the script fresh to the NT chart for example?
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No, I am not using express. I am using VS 2010 professional. And yes, I am compiling the code after Debug mode is enable.

Comment

lgarcia3, thanks for the confirmations - so you're working now on NT7 R7? I'm not aware of any other reports on this and have googled a bit for the breakpoint error message you get from VS : would that help?

From the run command, run the following command:

devenv /resetsettings

This would reset the IDE back to first time use

Comment

Thanks! That helped. It is working now.

Comment

Glad to hear that lgarcia3

Comment

breakpoint will not be hit.

Am hitting same issue with VS2013. Says breakpoint will not be hit. I tried resetting the devenv but that didn't solve it.

I remember from before that breakpoint red dot will turn into a red circle instead if had the code opened in VS and recompiled it in NinjaTrader because the binary wouldn't match the source. So I made sure I compiled in NJ and reopened in VS for debugging.

Here's a link with a solution: http://geekswithblogs.net/dbutscher/...26/113472.aspx

It says to start VS, attach to process to debug, then click VS > Debug > Windows > Modules to get the modules window. And check the ninja custom dll module to see if it has a pbd file and if not to load it. However Ninja compile does not create a pdb file and attaching the .dll from the bin/custom/bin/debug directory does not resolve the pdb file not found.

See attached screenshot which indicates "cannot open or find PDB file"
              Attached Files

Comment

Any update to this? I am also unable to debug.

I just re-installed Visual Studio Ultimate 10, on my Windows 8 laptop. I cannot set breakpoints in any NT7 script, and I cannot find any PDB files.

Update:
                • I started NT7 in 32 bit, not 64 bit version (not sure if that matters)
                • After attaching the NT7 process to Visual Studio, I opened my script in NT and pressed F5 to recompile (debug is always enabled for me).
                • Only then was I able to set a breakpoint in Visual Studio.

-A
                Last edited by anachronist; 11-10-2014, 03:56 PM. Reason: update status

Comment

I have prepared a reference video where leocrespo's solution is taken into account.
                  NT8 has improved VS integration, and this no longer occurs in NT8. Should you experience this in NT8, please report it to us so that we can take action.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.
                  Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Javierw.ok  
                  Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes