Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is it possible to open multiple Workspaces in NinjaTrader at one time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello NinjaTrader Support,

Like for example, let us say I want to try out three different
    methodologies... so at any given time I want to open the workspaces related to these three methodologies on three different monitors... is it possible to do this in the newer version of NinjaTrader?

Thanks

J

Ps:
    Couple of people I asked said it was not possible and even pointed me to a platform review video that highlights this as a NinjaTrader weakness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uDY5...eature=related
    good video, please see 12:15 onwards

I wish NinjaTrader makes managing workspace more easy perhaps like the look and feel of the all familiar "Windows Explorer" structure... which would then enable easy management of workspaces, including opening multiple workspace files, arranging them in different folders, changing workspace names, adding workspaces from elsewhere, copying workspace, deleting workspaces, etc

Last edited by JoyNT; 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM.

Hi JoyNT,

Thanks for posting.
    It is possible to run multiple workspaces, but only a single workspace can be displayed at any given time. For instance, you open three workspaces: A, B and C.

While 'A' is displayed, the charts/indicators/strategies/etc. running in workspaces B and C are still active - they're just not shown on the screen. To toggle between open workspaces, use the keyboard shortcut SHIFT + F3.

I will pass your suggestions regarding workspace management on to development for further consideration. Thank you for this feedback!
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Dear Kyle,

Thank you for your prompt reply and for giving me this work around to use SHIFT + F3 to display multiple workspaces but one at a time.

I really wish it was possible to display multiple workspaces simultaneously in NinjaTrader enabling the possibility to monitor visually the trade performance of multiple methodologies spread across multiple monitors.

Regards,
      J

By the way, where do I post suggestions or feedback for NinjaTrader

Comment

Hi JoyNT,

While it's not possible to display multiple workspaces at the same time, you could of course add the windows from one workspace in another by manually opening them - this will allow you to display all the windows contained in the workspaces which is typically the goal here.

Suggestions and feedback can be posted here on our forum or sent via email to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Kyle, for your response. I did not fully understand your answer but no problem I shall try to work out by asking around.

Best regards,
          J

Comment

Multiple Workspaces in NT8 /?

Same question, but for NinjaTrader-8.
            Can two NT8 Workspaces be open, say on two separate screens?
            Or can two Tabs be open, maybe via split-screen?

Comment

Hello RickMcD,

Thank you for writing in.

It is not possible to display multiple workspaces at one time with NinjaTrader 8.

I will submit this as a feature request to our product management team for further consideration.

Please, let us know if we may be of further assistance.
              Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello ZacharyG,
                That's unfortunate, and it does not seem to be explained in the latest NT8 Help Guide (#11).
                http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...sub=workspaces.
                Of course, I understand that this is still Beta software.

Given that two/+ Workspaces may not be open at once in NT8/#11. Then what's the best way -
                1) To display multiple charts at once, evenly arrayed, side by side?
                2) Or to place different chart collections on separate monitor screens?

Please advise,
                Thanks.
                Last edited by RickMcD; 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickMcD View Post
                  Hello ZacharyG,
                  That's unfortunate, and it does not seem to be explained in the latest NT8 Help Guide (#11).

Given that two/+ Workspaces may not be open at once in NT8/#11. Then what's the best way -
                  1) To display multiple charts at once, evenly arrayed, side by side?
                  2) Or to place different chart collections on separate monitor screens?

NT_ZG said you can not DISPLAY 2 at one time. And that is true. And that answered your original question.

They can be open like you have seen in the documentation, you just have to flip through them with the hot key.

I'd lay out all my charts on the screen that I need and save that workspace.

Comment

Need for Two(+) Open Workspaces in NT8..

Originally posted by sledge View Post
                    NT_ZG said you can not DISPLAY 2 at one time. And that is true. And that answered your original question. They can be open like you have seen in the documentation, you just have to flip through them with the hot key. I'd lay out all my charts on the screen that I need and save that workspace.
                    Thanks /sledge.
                    Having two NT8 Workspaces open is cool, but not that useful (to me anyway) if you can only view the charts on one of them. Unfortunately, stretching one Workspace over two Monitors etc is not optimal. Also, the separate Workspaces contain distinct and different sets (of charts).

I'm not sure why this limitation exists in NT8/beta(11). It does not seem to be a resource issue - but hopefully, it will be resolved in upcoming versions /soon.

Comment

Yes, I agree. It definitely would be cool to have multiple works spaces on the screen at one time.

Hopefully - in the future.

Comment

Unfortunately, stretching one Workspace over two Monitors etc is not optimal.
                        Why not?

I have several workspaces that create over 30 windows across 6 monitors.

No issues with "stretching" ... not even sure what this means ...

Also, the separate Workspaces contain distinct and different sets (of charts).
                        Sure, but one workspace can be organized to hold many distinct and different charts, too, so I don't understand this point. There is no more or less flexibility when organizing workspaces whether you're doing one or many charts.

I'm not sure why this limitation exists in NT8/beta(11). It does not seem to be a resource issue - but hopefully, it will be resolved in upcoming versions /soon.
                        Have you tried using a workspace switcher? See here and here.

Comment

Originally posted by bltdavid View Post

Sure, but one workspace can be organized to hold many distinct and different charts, too, so I don't understand this point. There is no more or less flexibility when organizing workspaces whether you're doing one or many charts.
                          I gave up on asking the point... Infinite monkey theorem...

Comment

How many Charts can we have in one workspace to avoid freezing

Hi,

I would like to know how many EXACTLY charts can we have in one workspace to minimize my computer in freezing! I only assumed here that it is the problem causing my computer to freeze. I have several workspaces open but of course only one can be displayed at a time. But on this opened workspace, I have intraday charts (1min-3-5-20-30-60-240mins) in it. That is not much actually. But I also have my Trade Navigator open. The freezing comes during the Several minutes after US opening.

While I'm on it, I would also like to ask this question.

If I am trading from Germany and would like to trade during the US opening til closing, what Session Template should I use? Where can I find info where it shows what Session template to use for a certain Instrument. I am a newbie and I am not yet used to all these.

Please advice, thank you.

Comment

Hello LizzyK,

There is not an "exact" number of charts one would be able to open. This is wholly dependent on how powerful your computer is and other factors that are mentioned in the Performance Tips section of the helpguide: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ance_tips2.htm

Do note that NinjaTrader 7 is a single-threaded application and can only utilize one core of your CPU.

Please note that workspaces in the background are still running in the background even though are not being displayed. You will need to close these background workspaces if you wish for these workspaces to not affect performance. Background workspaces can be closed by first selecting a background workspace by clicking File -> Workspaces -> [select your workspace] and then clicking on File -> Workspaces -> Close Workspace.

Please take a look at the Performance Tips section I have linked above for suggestions on how to improve performance with the platform.

You would usually want to use the <Use instrument settings> session template.
                              Zachary G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post usazencort  
                              Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                              5 responses