Collapse

Chart not being updated on laptop while display turned off or lid closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to run script on cloud (AWS instance VM, 2 vcpu; 4GB ram). When connecting to the instance remotely, the chart update seems sort of delay, not as bad as closing laptop's lid, but it'd not get refreshed until the next new coming in tick.

Again NT7 worked well as if you ran script locally. Really hope you can fix the issues for NT8 soon. My final goal is to run scripts on cloud.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the replies on this matter.

We have been performing extensive tests to recreate this problem and at this point have been unable to replicate on our side. As aslane's post had earlier mentioned we are looking into the possibility that this could be related to a specific graphics/driver setup.

To look further into this we will require log and trace files so we can compare the setups on machines where we know this issue is occurring.

Please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1637596
      Justin S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Sure, will do tonight.

Today I remote desktop in, as I've noticed before, I see the previous screen login from this morning, maybe plus some bars. Then both charts updated to current time.

(Live tda machine) It's nvidia quadro k2000m win 7,latest drivers as of 2 weeks ago, nt is assigned to use this card and not the Intel hd graphics. I can test next week with Intel on board video.

The laptop machine is a quadro m2000m and Intel combo. I probably had it on both in replay.

Comment

Thank you. Will do tonight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JustinS View Post
            Hello,

Thank you for the replies on this matter.

We have been performing extensive tests to recreate this problem and at this point have been unable to replicate on our side. As aslane's post had earlier mentioned we are looking into the possibility that this could be related to a specific graphics/driver setup.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1637596
            Please try this:

For example, at around 1:45pm est, I moved the inside of the chart to the left, so I got the |< symbol.

It is Vix 3 minute bars on left chart, they would not fill in before the screen display turns off, as there was more space than possible. I left a bar space of 1 on spy, so it would fill in before display turn off.

Vix stopped, but spy continued and worked fine.
            Please see attachment. (Sorry I covered up the timeline,but it's all there. When I moved the bars inside the Vix chart, it filled in)

*this might not cover all cases,but it is a start. I've only proved this once today. It might not be reason and totally unrelated.

I'll try to reproduce tomorrow.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sledge; 01-12-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
              Vix stopped, but spy continued and worked fine.
              This fits the pattern. The state of the VIX chart is what was present when the display turned off. When the display turned back on, the VIX no longer had any new incoming data, so there was no update/render for that chart, and so whatever is currently cached in the OS/video card is displayed. For me, that chart would have been black instead of old because nothing is cached when the display turns off for my driver.

This all is a result of the over-optimization of the renders (NT does not render if it thinks it doesn't have to). Generally this is good, but it is currently too aggressive and does not detect when the display turns on.

Comment

I closed laptop lid for about 10 min around 1:01 pm, then opened the lid. The chart stopped updating while lid closed. After opening the lid, a few seconds later when a new tick coming in, the chart got updated, new bars showed up.
                Last edited by gjing; 01-24-2017, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Justin,

I sent log to you yesterday.

Actually it's really bad. I run scripts to trade emini overnight, so no needs to turn on display. Also in daytime, I don't wanna watch it to eliminate personal emotion involved in my trading.

Similar problems happen when running scripts on cloud instance VM. I think more and more people doing that way now.

Maybe you can add an option to let users make decision?

Comment

Originally posted by gjing View Post

Actually it's really bad. I run scripts to trade emini overnight, so no needs to turn on display.
                    Just wondering if your strategies running properly with a stopped chart, or do they also pause?

Comment

Strategies paused with a stopped chart, that's why we really need to address the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gjing View Post
                        Strategies paused with a stopped chart, that's why we really need to address the issue.
                        Yikes! . I'll try to reproduce this next week, live/sim.

My playback/market replay trades do process as normal if the chart stops.

Comment

I tried live trading on Monday or last Friday, scripts paused

Comment

Tried to run script last night on laptop while closing lid, it worked well, but it happened again this afternoon and tonight, chart not updated and script paused. So looks like you need to try several times to reproduce it (try to close and open lid a few times while doing that as well).

Comment

Could you send your log and trace files after the most recent round of tests? Alternatively, reply to the ticket if you still have one from the earlier file request.

Please include a link to this thread and reference #1637596 ATTN Patrick G

Also, can you verify that there are no sleep/hibernate settings active on these PCs you're referring to? This can interfere with NinjaTrader's ability to remain connected. I would recommend disabling all sleep/hibernate settings.

Comment

gjing

Just a thought, Assuming your running windows, Have you gone into Control Panel > Event viewer and looked to see whether there are any events occurring within Windows that is shutting down any part of your laptop i.e. Hard drive, Video etc. I would think eliminating this would go a long way to focusing in the right direction. I understand all your sleep setting etc. are set properly but windows is windows and it could be a registry setting issue or whatever.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                                Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                                5 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse