Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Primary data series = range and secondary = minute - how do I maintain bar spacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primary data series = range and secondary = minute - how do I maintain bar spacing?

Is there any way for me to have a chart with two data series where the primary data series is of type "Range" and the secondary is of type "Minute" (secondary data series is set to transparent) and allow me to maintain the bar spacing on the chart?

Currently when I do the above the bar spacing gets destroyed for my primary range data series. I want to do this so that I can have indicators based on the hidden minute-based data series displayed on my range chart.

Thanks for your help!

Hello Zigrivers,

Thank you for your post.

As it stands, adding a secondary data series to a chart would always activate equidistant bar spacing, even if that secondary data series is hidden. While I have no work-around to provide you with at this time, this is something that development is looking in to changing in future releases.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Okay, I was afraid that might be the answer. I am very encouraged to hear that the development team is looking at providing a solution for this type of things as it would be one that I think a lot of your customers would be able to leverage AND it would give you guys an even great competitive advantage in the market place.

Tell the team to keep up the good work!

Thanks for your help.

Comment

any update?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
        Hello Zigrivers,

Thank you for your post.

As it stands, adding a secondary data series to a chart would always activate equidistant bar spacing, even if that secondary data series is hidden. While I have no work-around to provide you with at this time, this is something that development is looking in to changing in future releases.
        Has there been any update to this? Even with NT8 I have the same issue. If i want to add a 4 min indicator to my tick chart, the tick chart spacing changes and I don't want it to change.

Comment

I would suggest reading over the "Managing Multiple Data Series" section of the help guide link below:

Specifically the section at the bottom which covers equidistant bar spacing:

'When adding two or more Data Series to a chart, the bar spacing will be determine by the "Primary" data series, which is typically the first series added to the chart. You can optionally re-configure another series to be "Primary" by right clicking on the chart bars and selecting "Set as Primary".'

I would recommend that you get the desired indicators custom coded to plot based on a minute data series.

Comment

primary data series not primary

i have read over that link and there is still the same problem we had in nt7. The primary series isn't really the primary... it is bound to "time".... is there a way to have the primary series be the one that is spaced exactly the way it should be?

Any secondary data series can be squished or stretched but the primary series stays properly spaced? For example if i use renko bars as primary but want to have a time based indicator on the chart...even if the "time" data series is not the primary i can not get my renko charts to look normal with their spacing. This has been requested since well before 2012 and nt8 was going to address this...but its still an issue.

Does anyone know of a work around where you can get your indicators to call another data series even though it is not on the chart as ninja doesnt seem to get the idea when it comes to bar spacing with multiple data series yet....sorry for the hassle...just something been trying to work around in nt8 ... other platforms dont seem to have this issue so maybe we are not explaining ourselves clearly?... i would be happy to elaborate more if needed and give pictures etc. thank you.

Comment

Hello chinapassage,

In your example, setting Renko as the primary series, checking equidistant bar spacing, I am able to have the secondary series of 30 minute, be the one that is squished while the primary Renko bars keep their distance. When you set the chart up as above, have you tried holding down Alt on the keyboard and clicking the Up Button? If this does not resolve the issue, could you please provide more information or perhaps a video demonstrating what you are seeing?

I have provided a sample indicator which adds a secondary data series for the ES 03-17 on a daily time frame and then sets the value of the plot to the SMA of this secondary data series. If you apply this indicator to say a NQ 03-17 60 minute chart, you’ll see the indicator plot the ES values.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or if I misunderstood either of your questions.
              Attached Files
              Alan P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thank you for your prompt response.

i will attach a picture you will see the gaps between the renko bars, i might not be explaining things correctly so here is a picture ... the Renko's are set as my primary..and also equidistance is checked ... these renkos should be smooth and together like they are on a normal chart without a second data series. heres the pic: https://www.screencast.com/t/lAjRASZpeY

thanks again

Comment

Hello chinapassage,

I was able to replicate and have passed this onto development.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
                  Last edited by NinjaTrader_AlanP; 03-09-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Hello chinapassage,

This issue has been converted to a feature request being tracked under the following tag SFT-580.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post PaulMohn  
                    Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes