Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT6.5.8 (latest) locks up on load

Hi

I wanted to report a frozen app problem with the latest versions of NT6.5. I know for sure that the .7 and definitely the .8 release have the same problem. Previously I have not had this problem at all and I have used NT for over 2 years now.

I restarted my computer this morning (Netherlands) 30 Dec 08 and then proceeded to start NT6.5. It got stuck on the "Restoring Default workspace..." message on the modal splash window. I had to kill it with the Task Manager after it sat there restoring for over 10 minutes. The workspace only has one Volume bar chart with 10 days of data on it for "ES ##-##" and my own indicator. It previously locked up like this with completely different indicators on Tick charts and Minute charts.

Once this lock up happens, the only way to work around this is to delete the "_Workspaces.xml" file and then to run NT6.5 again. The other workaround I found was to uninstall NT6.5 completely, restart computer, and re-install NT6.5 again. But this is a bit of a pain to do.

In case this helps you, this morning I installed Flash 10 update from Adobe. I don't know if this is what broke things but I thought I'd mention it in case you would like to test this.

The fastest way to reach me is at my email address, which should be in my profile for this website.

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,

Can you please send your log and trace files to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, reference this thread and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header.

Please try the following in the mean time. Save 4 charts in your workspace with no indicators applied and restart NinjaTrader. Check if the freeze persists.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason

Thanks for the quick response. Now that I have reported the problem to you it has disappeared (after I deleted the _Workspaces.xml file). This is very good, but it does not help you to debug what happened at all, I guess.

Further more, I checked the log folder and there is no log for the failed start of NT6.5 from earlier this morning. The only log that is there is for the successful start of NT6.5.

The problem first started about a month ago with version .7 of NT6.5. Eventually I had to un-install and then re-install it to fix the problem, including removing the Ninjatrader 6.5 folder in the My Documents folder.

Well, if it happens again and stays that way I will let you know.

Thanks for your help Jason.

Paul

Comment

Hi Jason

This morning I had a lock up again, twice. I copied the lines from today'slog up to the point where NT6.5 loaded properly (the whole file actually). At this point I have not connected to a data source yet, as I don't need to just now, however, that has not been problematic at all.

I have not tried the 4 charts with no indicators on them suggestion (from you) just yet, as I need to do some work right now

Does this help?

Lines from today's (31 Dec 08) Log file:

31/12/2008 1:06:29 PM|1|4|Verifying license at primary server...
        31/12/2008 1:06:33 PM|2|4|Session Break (Version 6.5.1000.8)
        31/12/2008 1:06:33 PM|1|4|Current license: Type=SimulationOnly State=Verified StartDate=1/01/2005 EndDate=1/12/2099 Collective2 Dtn ESignal External OpenTick Provider2 Replay Simulator Yahoo Gain FFastFill Hosted InteractiveBrokers MBTrading Patsystems Provider1 Tda TrackData TradingTechnologies AdvancedStrategyManagement AutomatedTrading BasicEntry Charting SuperDom
        31/12/2008 1:08:19 PM|1|4|Verifying license at primary server...
        31/12/2008 1:08:20 PM|2|4|Session Break (Version 6.5.1000.8)
        31/12/2008 1:08:20 PM|1|4|Current license: Type=SimulationOnly State=Verified StartDate=1/01/2005 EndDate=1/12/2099 Collective2 Dtn ESignal External OpenTick Provider2 Replay Simulator Yahoo Gain FFastFill Hosted InteractiveBrokers MBTrading Patsystems Provider1 Tda TrackData TradingTechnologies AdvancedStrategyManagement AutomatedTrading BasicEntry Charting SuperDom
        31/12/2008 1:08:33 PM|1|4|Automated trading disabled
        31/12/2008 1:10:20 PM|1|4|Verifying license at primary server...
        31/12/2008 1:10:21 PM|2|4|Session Break (Version 6.5.1000.8)
        31/12/2008 1:10:21 PM|1|4|Current license: Type=SimulationOnly State=Verified StartDate=1/01/2005 EndDate=1/12/2099 Collective2 Dtn ESignal External OpenTick Provider2 Replay Simulator Yahoo Gain FFastFill Hosted InteractiveBrokers MBTrading Patsystems Provider1 Tda TrackData TradingTechnologies AdvancedStrategyManagement AutomatedTrading BasicEntry Charting SuperDom
        31/12/2008 1:10:30 PM|1|4|Automated trading disabled

Comment

Hello Paul,

Unfortunately the log lines do not provide helpful information. If NinjaTrader freezes or locks up, it indicates it is requesting too much resources; you will need to reduce resource request.

Please check if you are running workspaces in the background (these will request data & resources as well) and close them. Please go to File-->Workspaces and close all workspaces listed below "Save Workspace As" except the Default workspace. Select the workspace and go to File-->Workspaces-->Close Workspace.

The following link will provide you helpful tips to improve the performance of NinjaTrader and prevent freeze ups.

Please apply these tips and check if the performance of NinjaTrader will improve.

For example, please set "Calulate on bar close" to True for the indicators that you run and check again.

Comment

Hi guys, I am having the same problem in combination with IB's TWS. If I start TWS first, NT freezes every time at the default, or my custom workspace. IF I start NT first, all is well. Deleting the default or custom workspace xml does not do a thing. It's not that much of a problem though, since the "NT start first" workaround is just fine with me. My workspace contains only 1 chart with 1 indicator, nothing else, so it's hard to imaging that it's a resource problem. Either way, just a FYI.

Comment

Hi
              I do have the same problem with freezing NT 6.5.8 at startup right after the Splash screen shows "Restoring workspace 'default' "

Since I started with NT last week I don't have any reference if a previous version is better or not but here's how this issue happens to me.

-It started right from the beginning (first installation) with no changes made or already existing configurations (workspaces, charts, etc)
              - Always the first(!) startup after booting the System leaves NT frozen
              - The TaskManager shows no CPU activity or something
              - after I kill the Process "NinjaTrader.exe" and restart, NT comes up fine ... and every time after until I reboot

Now it gets interesting:
              - I recognized that when I called the TaskManager (right-click on task bar, choosing "Task Manager" in pop up menu, it always happens that the menu shows up very slowly, means the transparenty effect that "fades" in the menu... gets solid very slow.
              And: When I choose the "Task Manager" menu item, the selection is left "half-transparent" as an artifact on the screen. It only goes away with reboot or when I change the screen resolution back and forth... the clutter even stays on the screen when I logout or on the "shutdown"-Screen.

Until I produce this kind of clutter selection onto the screen, all menu activities which fade in from transparent to solid are very slow... like start-menu, etc and any one selection in any kind of pop up menu will leave the clutter, not only selecting the Task-Manager. Ok, Long story, but I try to explain what happens on my Computer.

initially, to avoid the clutter, I wrote a batch-file calling "tskill NinjaTrader" to avoid selecting a menu but since the slowness is not going away, I create some artifact eventually.

Anyway, the point is, first startup always frozen, killing the task, second start brings up NT (but does not neutrialize the fade-in issue)

Since I initially suspected some problem in connection with my graphics driver ... and I already tried to downgrade/upgrade to previous or more recent drivers, this might have something to do with the issue, who knows.

I run two NVIDIA 8600GT with 3 screens attached... but the issue happened also after driver reinstall and only the primary screen activated.

Thanks
              Stephan

UPDATE: after posting this I disabled the "fading" effect in the Windows Properties so Menus will show up without fancy effects.
              Now, after rebooting, the menu item is not left on the screen but the whole start panel, task bar becomes unresponsive. Only Icons work. When I kill "explorer.exe" from the task list, the task bar stays on the screen. Restarting "explorer.exe" refreshes the screen and the system is back to "Normal".

Couple more things:

- When NT freezes up, it's while the "Control Center" Window opens.
              (Splash screen still visible)
              The Window Frame with background areas (inside) comes up, but no elements like tabs.

- I connect to IQFeed and it doesn't make a difference if I start the Feed first or let it startup from NT

- NT 6.5.7 has the same issue
              Last edited by sm_trader; 01-07-2009, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Stephan,

I suggest to delete the default workspace and check if this will make a difference. Make sure NinjaTrader is closed and go to My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->workspaces and delete the Default.xml file. Check if the NinjaTrader still freezes the first attempt.

NinjaTrader does not manage the drawing on your monitor. Most likely the menu selections that remain visible on your monitor are related to a video card issue. Unfortunately I am not sure how to troubelshoot this issue and is outside the scope of our support.

If NinjaTrader does not start successful the first attempt after deleting the default workspace, please send me your trace file to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, reference this thread and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header. You can find the trace file at the following location:

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Trace--> trace.20090107 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Comment

I too am having this problem and have found that when NT hangs
                  "Restoring workspace 'Default'" the quickest way to get it started is to:

1) Right click Control Center on the task bar.
                  2) Click Close on menu.
                  3) Click End Now on End Program window.
                  4) Click Send Error Report or Don't then Close

NT will most likely not hang the next time that it is started.

Comment

Hi all

I am still having to close NT6.5 down the first time after re-boot.

Is there an update available on how to resolve the intermittent hang-on-startup issue?

Thanks

Paul

Comment

Freeze up

Hello

I am also having this problem. Tried to send a support email but it was refused. My NT 6.5.8 freezes up when loading default workspce. I have to terminate it with task manager then load it back up. I have tried deleting workspace.xml file, created 4 charts without indicators as default. I am running on an Intel Core I7 920 processor with 6 gigs of ram. Suggestions/help will be appreciated.

Comment

Hello,

Please see the Default workspace attached in this post. I provided Jim W. the same default workspace and it resolved the issue on his end.

Paste the .xml file at My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->workspace while NinjaTrader is closed. Make sure to delete the current default.xml first before pasting this default.xml file.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jason
                          I tried the file but NT is still freezing up when loading workspace default.
                          I tried sending support email with NT but got a message that the email was actively refused by a receiving IP address.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                          Hello,

Please see the Default workspace attached in this post. I provided Jim W. the same default workspace and it resolved the issue on his end.

Paste the .xml file at My Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5-->workspace while NinjaTrader is closed. Make sure to delete the current default.xml first before pasting this default.xml file.

Comment

Please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com including your latest log and trace files using a different email application. You can find these files at the following locations:

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Log--> log.20090126 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Trace--> trace.20090126 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Reference this thread and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header.

Comment

Jason,

The new default.xml has worked very well for me. I saved it to defaultgood.xml after replacing default.xml. Only twice have I had hangs on startup since I got it. Replacing default.xml again worked both times. I am not sure what corrupted it. Once, it may have been that I started NT before the computer boot process was complete and I had internet access. I make it a practice to NOT save the default workspace when closing NT. It may be that I did not do this the other time.

If it happens again, I will rename the old default and send it to you for analysis.

Running uptodate XP Pro with current drivers and BIOS. Processor is Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Yorkfield 3.2GHz LGA 775 136W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9770. Have dual monitors and keep the Control Center on the secondary monitor.
                              Last edited by Jim W.; 01-27-2009, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post philmg
                              by philmg

Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes