Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workspaces on multiple monitors

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to have one workspace on one monitor, and change workspaces on a second monitor without it changing the first monitor also.

I..e What I am trying to achieve is having my watch-list permanently on monitor 2, and monitor 1 I will be flicking through my set-up workspaces.

Cheers,
    Shane

Hello Shane,

Unfortunately this is not supported. You can only display one workspace on your monitor(s) at a time. It is not possible to have two workspaces opened on your monitor(s) simultaneously.

I will forward the suggestion to open multiple workspaces simultaneously on your monitor(s) to development.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Jason. This seems like such a basic feature I'm surprised with all the awesome stuff NT can do this is not supported.

While you're suggesting this to the developers, can you also please beg them to implement tabbed workspaces... thanks

Cheers,
      Shane

Comment

Sounds good, I will forward the suggestion to use tabbed workspaces as well.

Comment

brings up the question??Why

First off Thanks NT for providing us all a platform in which without any cash outlay we can test our ideas, the platforms functionality, etc.... Yet the Tabs don't cut it.
          But for me brings up the question?? With all the advancements in technology that you are introducing by changing your underlying structure...Why you would seemingly ignore the simple request to make it available for the end-user to have multiple workspaces open in as many windows as they wish? We are in the age of super computing in the home, many monitors etc..Been mentioned on many of the threads here dating back many years!
          I know the Everybody else does it(ok many do) so why not you??Doesn't work as mentioned has been a request here for many years!
          Just curious as to the business module that says ignore a simple request to allow clients,subscribers etc... whatever you call us to have the ability to open as many worksapces, let me clarify seperate workspaces/windows in an individual environment.
          Hate to say it but like TradeStation,Sierra Charts, and others.
          Hopefully you can clarify this particular subject for me as it is and has been and ongoing like crap part of your program... Simply because it does not make sense.
          Thanks in advance for any intuitive response.

Sometimes it does pay to be like all the others??

Comment

That's a valid question. Although I think there is some confusion on the implementation and terminology due to the way various trading programs implement a 'workspace'.

What you are requesting is a Multiple Document Interface, which is unrelated to what our concept of what a workspace is. We would never change where you could open multiple workspaces with our interface, because that's not what a workspace does in our program.

What is a valid request and what we did research and is still on our plate is how we could implement a MDI (Multiple Document Interface) feature which would allow you to arrange different windows into a container (some of our competitors call these MDIs workspaces, so I can see where the confusion comes from). But the end goal is still the same which would allow you to throw a handful of windows into a single parent window and interact with them from there as a group.

In our research, this can be a bit confusing to work with and creates new challenges in implementation, but there is no denying it is heavily requested therefore still on our radar as we continue to improve NinjaTrader 8 throughout its life time. The amount of effort involved did not meet our deadlines for getting NinjaTrader 8 beta to our users, but we have not completely dropped the idea either.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll definitely keep that in mind as we continue to improve on NinjaTrader 8 to meet the requests of our users.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 10-09-2015, 04:15 PM.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your detailed reply to the thread. It is good to hear NT has this on the radar for NT8 implementation. Whenever I suggest NT to other traders, I always roll off the great aspects to encourage them to give it a whirl, but then find myself needing to give them a heads-up on this issue, saying something like ‘the major drawback is the way they use workspaces…’.

I think some of the confusion re the name of ‘wokspaces’ is because many people might be using them (or trying to use them) outside their original intention in NT's development. i.e. In my trading I might have 8-10 workspaces open in the background at any one time, which I continually flick through.

I was hoping to clarify a couple of points from your post, in regards to how NT envisages the path forward with this?

1) I have attached a screenshot of another software package, I think this is what people generally refer to in their request for ‘tabbed workspaces’. Is this similar to what you guys have in mind?

2) You mentioned not having different workspaces on different monitors because of what a workspace is defined to be in NT... but there is a need to change the ‘tab’ on one display, without it affecting other monitors. Is this how NT envisages implementation of an MDI? For example, the MDI could be extended to multiple displays, but if we change the ‘tab’ on one display, it won’t change the tab on all the displays.

Thanks Matthew & cheers,
              Shane
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ShaneAU; 10-12-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneAU View Post
                1) I have attached a screenshot of another software package, I think this is what people generally refer to in their request for ‘tabbed workspaces’. Is this similar to what you guys have in mind?
                Yes, that is one concept that has been discussed.

Originally posted by ShaneAU View Post
                2) You mentioned not having different workspaces on different monitors because of what a workspace is defined to be in NT... but there is a need to change the ‘tab’ on one display, without it affecting other monitors. Is this how NT envisages implementation of an MDI? For example, the MDI could be extended to multiple displays, but if we change the ‘tab’ on one display, it won’t change the tab on all the displays.
                We do not have any implementation set in stone, there are multiple ways it can be handled. We've done research on various MDI interfaces on trading programs and other programs we know of which do that, including that research I linked to from MSDN.

I'm not in a position to say we will go one way or another at any point in time, but the various implementations were reviewed during the design of NT8 and we still have those notes in our specifications.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

The suggestion to open multiple workspaces simultaneously has been added to the list of possible enhancements. It is assigned to SFT-518.

The suggestion for tabbed workspaces is assigned to SFT-735

Comment

I would think it would even be possible to write an AddOn that adds this type of functionality. As a side note, you mentioned that you reviewed many applications on how they implemented such functionality. The best interface I've seen for a trading platform is ProTrader. It adds the flexibility that NT8 has where you have multiple tabs for a window plus adds a tabbed parent container. The only thing I would do away with is having a menu and toolbar controls at the top.

Comment

hi
                      how do i get the tabbed workspaces. and is there a guide on workspaces. At the moment the charts seem to open anywhere and it is timeconsuming to arrange them
                      thanks

Comment

Unfortunately tabbed workspaces are not supported in NinjaTrader. It is present on our list of possible future enhancements and it is assigned to SFT-735.

Please see the link below for information regarding workspaces in NinjaTrader 8.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post funk10101  
                        Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
                        11 responses
                        0 likes