Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATM Stop-loss Failed, Causing a Large Loss

Hello,

I started trading live today, after quite a bit of simulated trading screen time.

(Keep in mind, I blame nobody but myself for this and am not asking for anything other than to troubleshoot this)

I always enter my trades with an ATM Strategy that creates a $75 stop-loss for me. At times, during economic report releases, I use an ATM Strategy that puts in a $250 stop-loss for me, but today I did not use that strategy and only used the $75 stop strategy for each trade today instead.

I started out doing well and had a net profit of $595.00 after I started trading today.

I knew that the EIA Petroleum Status report was set to be released in a few minutes and I thought that if I risk $75, I have a lot to gain and little to lose. So I placed an ATM Strategy buy-stop.

When the price hit my buy-stop, I immediately got an error message. I was then horrified to see that I had no stop-loss and the price had gone against me in a big way.

I had to manually close the trade out, but by then I had racked up a $1,255.80 loss, from that one trade, when I thought my maximum risk would be $75.

After that, while emotionally distraught, I tried to make up for my losses and took mediocre trade setups and lost some more of my money.

Again, I take responsibility for this, I should not have entered that economic report release trade or continue trading afterwards. I learned my lesson the hard way. No more economic report release trades.

The Order ID for that trade is: 473921325

The only thing I ask is that you please try to find out what went wrong, why my ATM Strategy stop-loss did not trigger and if there is a bug in Ninjatrader that needs to be fixed or not.

Screenshots attached,
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I'd like to see your log and trace files. Please send me a note to platformsupport (at) ninjatrader (dot) com. Attach your most current log and trace files to the email, and put a link to this forum post in the body of the email. Please note "ATTN: Drew" in the body of the response.

You will find the log file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.

The log file will be named "log.20161102.txt"

You will find the trace file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.

The trace file will be named "trace.20161102.txt"

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have had this happen to me before. there is something definitely wrong with my stop losses too. Are you on NT 8 or Nt 7?

Comment

Hi mrxdaviepoo,

I am using NT8.

It still happens to me every single day that I trade, causing me unnecessary simulated trading losses each day.

But they are working on it.

They put in a feature request to disable order error popup messages and it is being tracked as SFT-671

Comment

mrxdaviepoo,

I'd be happy to check into this with you as well if you would please email us at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace files. You will find these diagnostic files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > Trace folder. I will need to review a copy of the files which are named 'trace.20170911.XXXXX.txt'. There will likely be multiple files for each day.
          Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by swestendorf, Today, 11:14 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Kimberly  
          Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
          4 responses
          0 likes