Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Open Range Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Range Indicator

Does anyone have an Open Range indicator they could share with me? The indicator posted in the Version 7 Indicators section doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in Advance

Hello mtom4,
    Welcome to the forum and I am happy to assist you.

Have you tried contacting the original author regarding the error.

You can also contact any of our NinjaScript developer to rectify the indicator. You can get the list of our NinjaScript consultants from here http://www.ninjatrader.com/partners#...pt-Consultants
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by mtom4 View Post
      Does anyone have an Open Range indicator they could share with me? The indicator posted in the Version 7 Indicators section doesn't seem to work.

Thanks in Advance
      This sounded like a nice little exercise, so I threw one together. I have seen better choices discussed in the forum, but here's a simple little Opening Range indicator that lets you set the session open time and the range end time, so you can specify the exact time range you want to see the high and low of. It draws lines at the high and low of that range. I only tested it on tick and minute charts. Time frame of chart must support the range selected.

I hope this helps!
      sh_daggett
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - NinjaLaunchpad

Comment

Open Range indicator

Originally posted by sh_daggett View Post
        This sounded like a nice little exercise, so I threw one together. I have seen better choices discussed in the forum, but here's a simple little Opening Range indicator that lets you set the session open time and the range end time, so you can specify the exact time range you want to see the high and low of. It draws lines at the high and low of that range. I only tested it on tick and minute charts. Time frame of chart must support the range selected.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your quick response. I installed the indicator on a 30 min chart hoping it would plot the high and low for the bar closing at 9:00. It did not plot as expected (pic1) I drew some lines on the chart to represent what I had expected to see (pic2)
        Attached Files

Comment

Open Range indicator

Well, that's what I get for slapping something together and testing it quickly on only one day's worth of data. (I was using Market Reply at the time.)

Very very sorry. I believe I have fixed the problem and I have updated the download at:

The pic now shows multiple days and I believe it does what you want. Let me know if something is still off. I did have some strange behavior when tweaking this (price bars were disappearing). It seems to have gone away, but I don't know why or what was causing it. If it happens to you, try setting the time range of the indicator to a 30-minute period (8:30 to 9:00, for example) and look at a 5 minute chart. Then switch chart to 30-minute interval and see if that clears it up. Strange. Let me know if it works for you.
          Attached Files
          sh_daggett

Comment

Hi sh_daggert, This is a very nice indicator, thanks! I can configure most opening range times with the indicator, but what I really want is 2330 to 0000hrs (our local time for US 30min opening range). When I use these local times the indicator lines don't show on the chart. Would love to hear from you about this as I really like the indicator!

Comment

Originally posted by HelenL View Post
              Hi sh_daggert, This is a very nice indicator, thanks! I can configure most opening range times with the indicator, but what I really want is 2330 to 0000hrs (our local time for US 30min opening range). When I use these local times the indicator lines don't show on the chart. Would love to hear from you about this as I really like the indicator!
              I'm having issues trying to bring anything up that wasn't on Friday...

so my 6:00 pm (sunday) to 12:12 am (monday)... no ranges appear to work.

I don't see anything obvious in the code that is wrong.

exa: 2030 to 2032 doesn't appear to work either, no lines.

but for kicks, can you try 2330 to 2359 tomorrow?

Hopefully he can find and update soon. This looks pretty cool. (and it does work for me from 0930 to 1000 )..but anything after 4 pm friday is not drawing lines

Comment

HelenL and Sledge,

I'm glad you like the indicator. I'll see what I can find and post back when I learn something/have a fix. Please give me some time. Obviously, I didn't test the boundary conditions, since I personally had no use for them. Lesson learned!

Thanks.

Scott
                sh_daggett

Comment

Hi Scott, thanks for your interest in helping out I've reset my system time to Eastern and the indicator works well. Could be good to work in my own timezone though! Cheers Helen

Comment

Originally posted by sh_daggett View Post
                    HelenL and Sledge,

I'm glad you like the indicator. I'll see what I can find and post back when I learn something/have a fix. Please give me some time. Obviously, I didn't test the boundary conditions, since I personally had no use for them. Lesson learned!

Thanks.

Scott
                    I spent a few hours on this tonight.

The overnight thing is an issue, I was looking at 2330 to 2359 solution ....

the times are going to need normalized...

the could needs some rework for sure...

I added in a market closing time variable... got that working for a normal US day for ES.. but when I tried say 2200-2300 range, with 0400 close, I'm missing something, as it isn't working... (I only attempted to modify the original code, and didn't start from scratch)..

Comment

Hi Scott, thanks for your interest in helping out I've reset my system time to Eastern and the indicator works well. Could be good to work in my own timezone though! Cheers Helen
                      Hello Helen,

I have found the problem but have not implemented a solution yet. The indicator is not designed to cross date boundaries. That's a more complicated case and will take some tweaking. I'll try to get it done fairly soon, but am kind of swamped right now.

In the mean time, is there a way you can use a custom session template so that the chart displays in Central time without having to change your computer's system time? I haven't had time to play with that, but it seems that it should be possible. Some platforms will do the time translation.

Anyway, "I'll be back!"

Scott
                      sh_daggett

Comment

Helen,

Well, I slammed something together, so if you don't mind being a tester, you can give it a try. I've posted in the files section here.

Please let me know if it works for you or not.

Thanks.

Scott
                        sh_daggett

Comment

Happy to test this - thanks for the quick response

Comment

Thanks

Was looking all over for an opening range indicator that worked! This works great. Thanks for writing the code.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryA View Post
                              Was looking all over for an opening range indicator that worked! This works great. Thanks for writing the code.
                              You will find another free indicator here: It plots the opening range, the pre-session high and low and the range bands calculated from the opening range. The chart shown uses a segmented session template - daily session split into night session and regular session - , but the indicator will also work on regular session templates, when the offset is adjusted.

The indicator is available here (I have posted around 70 free NinjaTrader indicators there)
                              The best futures trading community on the planet: futures trading, market news, trading charts, trading platforms, trading strategies

Downloading requires membership, or you can contact me via private message and I will send it to you.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by NRITV, Today, 01:15 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NRITV
                              by NRITV

Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
                              7 responses