Can't install on Windows 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install on Windows 2003

I'm trying to install B16 on Windows 2003 Server.

If I try to install as a normal user it tells me I don't have permission. I suppose this is not that unusual but does it really need administrator access just to simply install? I mean an application like this shouldn't be making system level changes.

If I install as Administrator the install "works" but when I try to run NinjaTrader as a normal user it tries to start the install process then gives me an error:

Code:
    File
    C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\tmp98.tmp
    was rejected by digital signature policy.
    That looks like it's trying to access a file under the Administrator account which is probably not accessible for a normal user. It should not be accessing another user's files. Any ideas?

Hello Toast,

Unfortunately this is as expected. You will need to install NinjaTrader while logged in to a Windows account that has administrator privileges.

You will need to run NinjaTrader in the user account with administrator privileges as well. Let me know if the error persists when running NinjaTrader in such a Windows account.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks. Is this a new problem with NT7? NT6 works fine in this configuration.

Unfortunately it makes NT7 unusable because our security policy does not allow running applications under Administrator accounts (which is a huge risk in general, this isn't 1998 any more ).

Is this specific to Windows 2003? Would Windows 2008 or Windows 7 work with a normal user account?

Comment

The same should apply for NinjaTrader 6.5.

The same applies for other Windows operating systems as well. I am not sure about Windows 7 though, since I do not have it available yet.

Are you able to provide other Windows accounts Full control as per the (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 6.5 folder. I have Vista installed on my end. I right click the NinjaTrader 6.5 folder and select Properties. Subsequently select the Security-tab and you should be able to provide Full control as per Windows accounts you have available. Check if this will allow you to run NinjaTrader in a different Windows account.

Comment

I'm currently running NT6.5 under another user account and it didn't have any problems. I did have to install as an administrator but am able to run it as a normal user.

Changing the permissions doesn't fix it as it still tries to run the installer when I start NT7 as a normal user. Seems very likely the installer is not working correctly.

For what it's worth, giving a normal user admin access, installing NT7 as that user, then revoking admin access seems to work. After that the normal user can run NT7. Again, this seems to point at the installer being broken because from what I can tell NT7 does not need admin access to run.

Comment

Another note: If I remember correctly NT7-B15 worked. I installed as administrator then ran it as a normal user.

Maybe something changed/broke in the B16 installer?

Comment

Hello Toast,

I created an additional user account on my end and experienced the same issue when starting NinjaTrader 7, while it has been installed using a Windows account with administrator privileges. However, when I started NinjaTrader 6.5, I experienced the same issue as well. NinjaTrader 6.5 has been installed using an account with administrator privileges as well.

I have send a note to Development with your findings. As soon as there is news regarding the matter, I will let you know.

Comment

Hello Toast,

I tested NinjaTrader 7.0.0.15, but I experienced the same issue as well.

You will need to run NinjaTrader while logged into the Windows account that was used to install it.

Comment

Ah OK, I figured out the difference with what I was seeing in NT6 and the older beta.

There appears to be no way to install it "normally" except like I mentioned above where you give a normal user admin access then revoke it after install.

However, if you take a normal user account and open a command prompt as an administrator (Run As) then install the msi install package from there it will work. It will still run the installer again when the normal user runs NT for the first time but it won't fail with that signature error. I'm not sure if it will work with other users besides the one that did the install but I don't really care.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by DJ888, Yesterday, 06:09 PM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post DJ888
                  by DJ888

Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes