Chart slowdown - NT self-duplicates indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart slowdown - NT self-duplicates indicators

I had noticed my workspace taking longer to load, so did some examination today. Apparently, NT is duplicating some indicators (several at a time) on some charts BY ITSELF - sometimes 2 or 3 instances of the same indicator with the same settings will be listed as running on a chart. I have found that this happens if the chart is multi-instrument (more than 1 visible dataseries) with indicators placed on both dataseries (on the price panel and in sub-panels).

To verify this yourself, set a Workspace that includes several charts that have been set up as described above (I don't know if it will occur with only 1 chart - I have several set up in that configuration). Then save and close the Workspace.

Open Windows Explorer and note the size of the XML file for the Workspace. Then open, save, and close the same Workspace several times in NT. The self-duplication of indicators on a chart does not happen every time, but over the course of a few tries (it may take a few days if you only open and save once or twice a day as I do) you will see the XML size for the Workspace increase when NO changes or additions have been made to the charts.

Then open the Workspace in NT and go through the list of indicators on each chart - you should find at least one chart where a few indicators are being run twice or more when you never added them into the chart that way.

Obviously, the duplicated indicators negatively impact performance.

I would add that the Workspace displays no errors in the log tab when opening. It opens cleanly. It simply does not save properly on occasions and slows down the charting with the erroneous additions.
    Last edited by Tarkus11; 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM.

Tarkus,

I will attempt to replicate and get back to you with an explanation or resolution as soon as I am able.

Thank you for your patience.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Tarkus,

What version of NinjaTrader are you using? You can check in Help > About.

Could you possibly send us your clean workspace, then attempt to replicate and send us the resulting workspace that has the increased size? We aren't able to replicate on our end currently. Workspaces are located in My Documents / NinjaTrader 7 / workspaces

We will then be able to look into the differences on our end.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AdamP View Post
        Tarkus,

What version of NinjaTrader are you using? You can check in Help > About.

Could you possibly send us your clean workspace, then attempt to replicate and send us the resulting workspace that has the increased size? We aren't able to replicate on our end currently. Workspaces are located in My Documents / NinjaTrader 7 / workspaces

We will then be able to look into the differences on our end.

Thanks for your time.
        I'm afraid my Workspace contains a number of indicators that are not standard. However, as I said, none produce an error in the log file/tab, so there are no conflicts amongst them.

I am using NT 7.09. I have not upgraded, but I see no mention of correcting indicator duplication in the Release Notes in 7.10.

This duplication of indicators does not happen on any scheduled basis. It can be fine for a week, and then show up. Perhaps it has to do with saving a Workspace when no changes have been made to it - I tend to do that out of habit, just because I thought it was safe to do.

However, what I have begun to do is first verify that my current Workspace has no duplicate indicators on any of my multi-series charts, then I save a copy of it to my Temp directory - just in case the duplicates show up again. It requires a manual re-copy whenever I change/verify anything on my charts, but it is a faster recovery if I find something is amiss again during market hours.

Comment

Tarkus,

We can still compare them if you could send us the older workspace, then the one that is larger in size.

Can you replicate this behavior using only default indicators?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AdamP View Post
            Tarkus,

We can still compare them if you could send us the older workspace, then the one that is larger in size.

Can you replicate this behavior using only default indicators?
            Thanks for the reply.

I do not retain the corrupted Workspace. After I correct it, I save it again as "clean", then copy it off to a Temp directory.

I do not know about using only standard indicators. I have no serialization errors when I save, so it is not behaving outwardly as if anything is wrong with what I have running on my charts.

Comment

Tarkus,

Next time you have a corrupted workspace, please send it to us along with the uncorrupted one so we may take a look. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot more I can do here since I am unable to replicate on my end without either replication steps or the files. Just trying your original inferred steps I was unable to replicate.

If you can get replication steps with standard indicators, we would be able to perform this on our end and come to further conclusions. Otherwise we may need your custom indicators along with replication steps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post tradingnasdaqprueba  
              Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes