Using Alerts to Enter a Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Alerts to Enter a Trade

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I can't find details on placing a trade through alerts. Here is what I want to do.

I've drawn a trendline on the attached chart.

On the condition that the price is GREATER than the trendline, I want to place a limit order with my ATM strategy, at a price below the trendline.

Under Actions/Submit an Order/Properties, it asks for "Limit Price" and the default is "1". I do not know what the limit price is going to be at the time it crosses the trendline so how do you make this entry?

What would make sense here is that "Limit Price" is equal to the number of ticks below the trendline. That is what I am looking to do. I want to place a limit order with my ATM strategy at a limit price when the price exceeds the trendline, but I want the limit price to equal, say 5 ticks below the price at the time of the alert (when price exceeds trendline price).

Thanks. Very much appreciate the response.
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thank you for writing in today.

There is functionality to set Cross Above, Cross Below, Cross Inside, and Cross Outside conditions on a chart to trigger an action when a Data Series crosses a Drawing Object. This condition may trigger simple order entries, however entering ATM strategies via an alert is not possible.

This kind of a strategy can be created with an automated NinjaScript strategy.

For your reference I will provide links to the help documentation on using alerts, and to some documentation on NinjaScript strategies.

Using Alerts: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ing_alerts.htm

Using ATMs in a NinjaScript strategy: http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...strategies.htm

If you would like, I may submit a feature request to the development team on entering ATMs from the Condition Builder. Would you like me to do so?

I look forward to your reply.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

please submit the feature

Thanks for the quick reply.

Please submit a feature to place conditional limit orders with an ATM strategy upon crossing a RAY placed on the chart.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello masterg,

Thank you for providing your feedback as we continually strive to improve upon NinjaTrader's features. Your suggestion has been placed into our system with ID# SFT-1104.

If you have any other NinjaTrader related issues, please don't hesitate to ask.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot! It was helpful for me too

Comment

I'm exploring exactly this, right now, this evening.
            I can't believe that there is not an option to link to an ATM strategy.
            Has anyone made any progress in this without having to become a coder?

Thanks

Comment

Hello BarefootHank,

If the desired entry for the ATM strategy is not too complex, you may consider entering your ATM strategy from an order attached to an indicator.

This is described in the ATM 301 webinar. Here is a link to part of one of the recorded webinars that demonstrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9y-j64X1U&t=2217s

If the automated entry is more complex it would require NinjaScript programming to be accomplished. In the meantime, I will add a vote to SFT-1104 on your behalf so your interest is tracked. This feature request tracks the ability to use the ATM strategy methods in the Strategy Builder so one does not have to manually program the NinjaScript strategy.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 04-17-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Add my vote to this feature please

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
                  Hello BarefootHank,

If the desired entry for the ATM strategy is not too complex, you may consider entering your ATM strategy from an order attached to an indicator.

This is described in the ATM 301 webinar. Here is a link to part of one of the recorded webinars that demonstrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9y-j64X1U&t=2217s

If the automated entry is more complex it would require NinjaScript programming to be accomplished. In the meantime, I will add a vote to SFT-1986 on your behalf so your interest is tracked. This feature request tracks the ability to use the ATM strategy methods in the Strategy Builder so one does not have to manually program the NinjaScript strategy.
                  Hello,

Is it possible to assign an ATM strategy to a drawn object (like a trend line) once an alert triggers an order? There is no point on entering a trade without stops or targets in my view.
                  In my case Stops and targets will be determined in pips, don't know if this makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Machado!

This is currently not possible with the Alerts system but we are tracking interest in this feature. I noticed a different ticket number was given out previously, so I have made sure all votes have been moved to the appropriate ticket. I have added a vote for you as well. Please note that the feature request ticket ID for attaching ATM strategies to orders in Alerts is SFT-1104. SFT-1986 is for using ATM strategies in the Strategy Builder.

If you have great interest in this feature, it could be provided with custom NinjaScript programming. If this interests you, we could have a representative of our EcoSystem reach out with information on NinjaScript Consultants who would be happy to write a script that accomplishes this at your request.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Comment

Please add another vote!

I'd really like to be able to specify an ATM strategy as part of the Submit Order function associated with an alert! thank you!

Comment

please add my vote as well for this

Comment

Hello,

Is there a way to enter a trade based on an alert from an indicator?

Thank you,
                          Dorian

Comment

Hello forextrader2003,

I would like to clarify, Are you saying that you would like an order to be placed when your indicator alert goes off?

Or are you setting an alert based off an indicator and you want the action to be that it places a trade?

Is this a 3rd party indicator or a hardcoded NinjaTrader indicator?

I look forward to your response.
                            Jermaine S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jermaine View Post
                              Hello forextrader2003,

I would like to clarify, Are you saying that you would like an order to be placed when your indicator alert goes off?

Or are you setting an alert based off an indicator and you want the action to be that it places a trade?

Is this a 3rd party indicator or a hardcoded NinjaTrader indicator?

I look forward to your response.
                              I would like an order to be placed when my indicator alert goes off and it is a 3rd party indicator.

Thx

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mizzouman1  
                              Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes