Not able to trade through IB using NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tradertakeo,

Thanks, that is interesting. Are your accounts still linked or does each one have a different username for login?

Comment

Each one has a different username/account #.

xxxxxx001, xxxxxx003 and the other sub accounts are connected to my NT8.

Account type, Account #, User name, Data subscription
      A single account, Uxxxxxx1, xxxxx001, Real-time
      Linked master account, Uxxxxxx2, xxxxxx002, Delayed
      - Linked sub account, Uxxxxxx3, xxxxxx003, Delayed
      - Linked sub account, Uxxxxxx4, xxxxxx004, Delayed
      - Linked sub account, Uxxxxxx5, xxxxxx005, Delayed

Comment

Hello, I want to connect Ninja 8 to the IB Gateway. I want to login with a "single" username and a "single" password, and, I want to route trades to 2 different and separate IB accounts (Account number 1 & Account number 2), can this setup be done? I don't want to run any TWS instances on my PC. Also as a separate question what is the purpose of a "linked" account? Also what is a "FA" account? Thanks in advance. Regards, Rod

Comment

Hello Rod,

I hope the steps below will help you.

1. Login to the gawatewy for eash account with each username&password

2. Set Socket port and uncheck "Read-only API" in the gateway "Configure > Settings" and create two connections in "Connections” > “configure" for each account.

Account #1 - Socket port # 4001
          Account #2 - Socket port # 4002

3. Try to connect to both accounts. You should be able to route orders to both accounts.

Regarding linked accounts:

I use liked accounts to trade different strategies.

Regarding FA accounts:
          Our Non-Professional Advisors accounts provide easy management, trading and reporting for multiple accounts under a single login.

Comment

Thanks TraderTakeo for your help and advice, I now understand. One other question, can I connect Ninja 8 to the IB Gateway and using a single master account place large trades into this master account and then ask IB broker back-office to allocate and split up these large block trades into the money managers (CTA) client accounts? Can a CTA with hundreds of clients use Ninja 8 platform to route trades to a master account ("bunched orders" / break-down account)? Or would a CTA need to use a different front-end platform for to run his CTA business? Thanks in advance. Much appreciated. Regards, Rod.

Comment

Hello Rod, NT donesn't support FA allocation but there could be a way round it with complex NT scripts.

Two platforms below support FA allocation but I'm not sure they can handle CTA with hundreds of clients..

MultiCharts

SierraCharts
              Sierra Chart is a professional Trading platform for the financial markets. Supporting Manual, Automated and Simulated Trading.

Comment

Hello Rocket130713,

I can confirm that NinjaTrader will support trading multiple accounts with Interactive Brokers through a single set of login credentials. I would suggest contacting Interactive Brokers directly for more information about the options available for linking accounts, such as a FA account.

The method that tradertakeo mentioned at 6:21 AM US EST would allow you to connect multiple Interactive Brokers accounts with unique logins by changing the port numbers for the connections.

Comment

Hello tradertakeo,

NinjaTrader 8 can connect to a Financial Adviser account with Interactive Brokers. When connected, you will be able to toggle between each of the available accounts from any of NinjaTrader's order entry windows. NinjaTrader 8 can submit orders to an adviser account and then the order executions will be allocated across the individual accounts according to the logic within Trader Workstation. As a result, there would be limitations to trading an adviser account from the NinjaTrader platform. For example, it would not be possible to run a strategy to an adviser account and we would advise against working multiple orders in this type of account.

Comment

Hello Ninja_Christopher_D, thank you for your reply. Just so as I'm 100% sure, I just wanted to connect ninja 8 to a "single" master futures account at IB via one set of login credentials. So ninja would place many trades into this single master account at IB across the day. Then at the end of each day, the IB broker would split up these trades in this master account and allocate these trades to across 100 client accounts. For example, my trading algo would open 100 gold contracts in the master account, then at the end of the day my IB broker would place 1 gold contract in each of my 100 clients accounts (this is called a "bunched" trade allocation), can this be done using "Ninja 8" and IB broker Gateway API? Thanks in advance. Much appreciated. Rod

Comment

NinjaTrader would have no control over the order allocation on IB's side. You would need to contact IB for support on how to allocate orders across multiple accounts that are originally submitted to one master account.

Comment

We are registering as a CTA soon and will have over 100 clients/investors. we want to use Ninjatrader 8 and also Interactive Brokers as our "futures" broker to do the fully automated trading (algo trading) for our CTA business. Can this be done using Ninja 8 and either the IB Gateway or IB TWS setup. If so could you explain to me how this setup would work in detail, as I'm confused about this, would I have to use the TWS app and also would I have to use IB FA accounts, would I also have to use "linked accounts"? I want to login only once to a single futures account (I'm not sure if this single account is called a master account or a FA account?) using a single set of login credentials? Are there any workarounds here? Is Ninja 8 suitable for CTA businesses with hundreds of clients assuming the CTA uses IB as broker? Thanks in advance. Regards, Rod
                        Last edited by Rocket130713; 05-16-2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The NinjaTrader Platform was not designed with CTAs in mind. NinjaTrader is designed primarily for retail day traders.

You can connect an IB FA account to NinjaTrader and then use IB TWS's order allocation logic. However, It may not be plausible to run it at the scale that you're interested in.

The limitations and capabilities of NinjaTrader with IB FA accounts was outlined by my colleague ChristopherD in post #23.

Comment

Hi Patrick_G, you mention the following in your previous post: "You can connect an IB FA account to NinjaTrader and then use IB TWS's order allocation logic". Is this still true today? I thought that the order allocation feature in TWS is not available when using Ninja connected to a IB FA account? is this true? Can Ninja be used for CTAs or money managers with around 100 investor clients? thanks in advance. Regards, Rod.

Comment

Nothing has changed regarding CTA or FA account support with Interactive Brokers. The infromation in this thread is still current and accurate.

You may be referring to the Financial Advisor account feature which would allow you to group all of the FA individual UXXXX client accounts into separate "groups" to handle various allocation profiles. These groups are NOT supported in NinjaTrader 8 and will not show up when you connect. The only accounts you will see connected to NinjaTrader are the actual accounts themselves and NOT the account group.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jaybedreamin