Support for options???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for options???

I see repeated references to the fact that NT8 support options trading but despite having searched for the last 15 mins cannot find anything that explains what support exists.

For example - "...new version is ready to deliver the most advanced trading features for discretionary and automated traders of all levels trading stocks, futures, forex and options."

I found a single thread from mid 2015 where someone asked the same question and the response was in essence that there was no information beyond the fact it would be possible and that further updates would be in the Help Guide.

18 months later so I looked in there but...nada.

Anyone?

Hello pcoghlan, and thank you for your question.

In order to trade an option in NinjaTrader 8, you will need to set up an instrument map for the option in question. An example options instrument map bundled with NT8 can be found by visiting Tools -> Instruments and searching for PETR . This thread has more information on this topic.

Jessica P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Many thanks Jessica. I looked at the PETR example butI am unsure as to how this allows me to chart, for example, VIX March calls.

I can add a master instrument which is "VIX" but how do I then chart a specific options chain once the instrument exists?

I searched but there is nothing that I see that walks someone through adding an instrument to the point of being able to chart/trade a specific options chain for that instrument.

Comment

I have followed up with some of my colleagues, and while the options back-end is in place, there is no front end or supported brokerage technology.

I have submitted a feature request to the product management team for the following feature :

This user would like front-end documented support for options in NinjaTrader 8
        I will follow up with more information as soon as it's available. If the feature requests already exists, a vote will be added to it.

Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.

Comment

Hello pcoghlan,

This feature is being reviewed by the product management team and has been assigned the following unique tracking ID

SFT-369

Please let us know if there is any other way we can help.

Comment

Jessica

Many thanks. I would also request that if there is only a very limited situation in which it is possible to chart/trade certain options the fact is made clearer as the site at present certainly implies that options are supported.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out, we will make the changes to update sorry about the miscommunication. We evaluated options support during NT8 development but in the end we did not ship with options support until we could properly support it. Which is something we're open to in the future but not anywhere near term. If we're going to support it we would want to support it right.

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by michi08, 10-05-2018, 09:31 AM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Denver_Wayne  
              Started by sightcareclickhere, Today, 01:55 PM
              0 responses
              1 view