Go Back   NinjaTrader Support Forum > NinjaTrader 8 > Strategy Development

Strategy Development Support for the development of custom automated trading strategies using NinjaScript.

NinjaTrader

Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
reach4thelasers

Default Expandable Object Params in Strategy Analyser

Hey there.

I wonder if someone can help me with a small issue with ExpandableObject properties in the Strategy Analyzer.

I've made a spike of the design pattern I've come up with for composable Strategy settings, comprising a Strategy and two indicators which I have attached.

Each indicator has a settings model, which is the sole Ninjascript Property for the indicator, meaning the indicator can be instantiated like: Indicator(new IndicatorSettings()) rather than a massive parameter list.

The strategy settings model contains the Models of two indicators. I love this method - the time I've wasted copying and pasting parameters between indicators and strategies before now. This is loads better.

Anyway it is working great on the strategies Dialog. However the Strategy Analyser is not working as expected. The properties do appear there; however I am unable to specify the Optimiser parameters Min/Max/Increment e.g. "8;55;1". How can I make the strategy Analyser recognise these for the optimiser?

Thanks

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: zip StrategyParams.zip (5.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
reach4thelasers

A follow-on issue with this...

I'm using the System.Web Json Serializer for persistence in the spike strategy. I find its the easiest Serializer to work with in .NET as it was built for serializing objects.

However the strategy Analyzer is moaning that the XML is wrong.

There is an infinite number of ways that something can be serialized. Is there any sample code of the actual Serialization format that Ninjatrader expects? I've only seen code for brushes and fonts, and assumed that any string format would suffice, but clearly that's not the case.
Attached Images
File Type: png serialization.PNG (159.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
NinjaTrader_JessicaP
NinjaTrader Customer Service

I am investigating your first question. However to your second question regarding serialization, it is the case that the output must fit inside of a well formed XML document. This does not exclude JSON per-se, but any characters such as <, >, non-ASCII 0x20-0x7F, and the like may cause the serializer not to work. This publicly available link has more information.

https://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_dtd.asp

As a reference I am giving you a code sample which is known to work for a completely different purpose, which you can use as a starting point toward outputting JSON that can fit inside a well formed XML document.

I will be replacing this sample with one tailored to your use case, and will be making a recommendation that our documentation be updated, after I have done more research.

Code:

/// <summary>
        /// http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/working_with_brushes.htm
        /// </summary>
        [XmlIgnore]
        [Display (
            ResourceType = typeof(Custom.Resource),
            Name = "TestColor",
            GroupName = "NinjaScriptParameters",
            Order = 0
            )]
        public Brush TestColor
        { get; set; }

/// <summary>
        /// http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/en-us/working_with_brushes.htm
        /// </summary>
        [Browsable(false)]
        [NinjaScriptProperty]
        public string TestColorSerialize
        {
            get { return GetColorName(((SolidColorBrush) TestColor).Color); }

/// <summary>
            /// From this publicly available link
            /// http://stackoverflow.com/questions/372693/convert-string-to-brushes-brush-color-name-in-c-sharp
            /// <summary>
            set { TestColor = (SolidColorBrush) new BrushConverter().ConvertFromString(value); }
        }

/// <summary>
        /// From this publicly available link
        /// http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3934747/system-windows-media-color-to-color-name
        /// <summary>
        public static string GetColorName(System.Windows.Media.Color color)
        {
            Type colors = typeof(System.Windows.Media.Colors);
            foreach(var prop in colors.GetProperties())
            {
                if(((System.Windows.Media.Color)prop.GetValue(null, null)) == color)
                    return prop.Name;
            }

throw new Exception("The provided Color '" + color.ToString() + "' is not named.");
        }
Last edited by NinjaTrader_JessicaP; 06-01-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
reach4thelasers

Thanks Jess! Good thinking, I never thought about encoding. I will get on that now! Cheers
Old 06-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #5
NinjaTrader_JessicaP

I have some more information regarding this.

I am attaching a series of indicators I am using for testing, as a tool that I can make immediately available to you. If you are in doubt as to whether an ASCII character will cause serialization to fail simply attach the test indicator with the ordinal matching your ascii character to a chart, save your workspace, close Ninja, and reopen your workspace. If it's serializable, your chart will come up with your indicator attached. This publicly available reference can help you match characters to ordinal values.

http://www.asciitable.com/index/asciifull.png

When I am in the office again on Monday I will address your question regarding optimizing using the strategy analyzer and your design pattern.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Indicators.zip (275.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
reach4thelasers

Thanks Jessica.

I found a potential bug related to presistence of Nested Properties. I've attached a Spike.

Steps to reproduce:

- Open Ninjascript Output window and add the NestedSettingsPersistance Indicator to a chart
- Note the output of the default string values for Local and nested values
- Open Indicator settings and change values to "Other Nested String" and "Other local string",
- save presets
- push ok
- observe the new values in the output as expected
- remove indicator from chart and re-add
- observe that the values "other nested" and "other local" have been retrieved, indicating that "save presets" has worked and the values were persisted correctly.
- Rebuild Ninjascript
- right click the chart and "reload Ninjascript"
- Observe in the output window that the nested value is back to "default" - the persistence, which previously worked, has now failed after a rebuild.
- Comment out "Browsable(false)" attribute from the NestedSettingsSerializable property and repeat the above tests.
- By removing this property the persistence works as expected even after a rebuild. However the serialized string appears in the property browser which is not ideal.
Attached Files
File Type: cs SerializationHelper.cs (1.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: cs NestedSettingsPersistenceBug.cs (5.6 KB, 4 views)
The following user says thank you to reach4thelasers for this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
NinjaTrader_JessicaP

This behavior was confirmed on our end. We will be investigating this further. Please keep an eye on the NinjaTrader 8 Release Notes page for updates and bugfixes.

http://ninjatrader.com/support/helpG...ease_notes.htm

Tracking ID:NTEIGHT-11779
Attached Files
File Type: cs NestedSettingsPersistance.cs (5.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: cs SerializationHelper.cs (1.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
reach4thelasers

Hey Jess,

Did you find out any further information about my Original Query in Post #1 below?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
NinjaTrader_JessicaP

Due to the way I reported some things, I left this ticket in a state that was difficult for our tracking software to manage, and as a result have not put more effort into making the sorts of inputs you mentioned in post #1 vulnerable to the optimizer. I apologize for this. I am reviewing this now and will come back when I have more information.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #10
NinjaTrader_JessicaP

I was unable to compile and run the spike you created in your first post. I received the attached errors. If the compile time errors are the question being asked, the reason for these is that the NinjaTrader compiler generates code automatically, and the code as written is incompatible with the generator. If there are special compiling instructions please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: csv NinjaTrader Grid 2017-06-19 07-57 AM.csv (1.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
reach4thelasers

Hey Jess,

Try the attached. I think the Ninjascript code at the bottom had the Namespaces out of sync. If this doesn't work try deleting the Ninjascript code at the bottom and letting it regenerate.

Let me know if it works. I can send you a version without the Namespaces if necessary.

Kevin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip StrategyParams.zip (5.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
NinjaTrader_JessicaP

Attached is a code sample that should do something like what you are describing. Code samples we provide are for educational purposes, and are not intended for live trading, and are not guaranteed to accomplish any user goal or to be maintained.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Filename.zip (5.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
reach4thelasers

Hey Jess, thanks for the response. That works pretty well, I was hoping it would just pick up the nested properties, but your solution works for me!!

Thanks again

Kevin