Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Connection to ThinkorSwim (now TD Ameritrade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection to ThinkorSwim (now TD Ameritrade)

I have just downloaded Ninjatrader 7 after a number of very high remarks to its ability to back test strategies.

My current broker is Think or Swim which has recently merged with TD Ameritrade. I haven't tried to connect to the TD as their systems have likely merged however I am unable to select them from the connections drop down list.

The only connections that I am able to choose from from add connection are:

Barchart.com
    Esignal
    Google
    IQfeed
    Kenetick
    Yahoo

I also get this message upon starting NT7 - License Error: Your license could not be verified and is reset to "simulation only" mode.

Is this supposed to happen? I have the free version which doesn't allow live trading so this makes sense, but the notification is a bit annoying.

Thank you for the help, I'm excited to get this up and running!

Phil

Hello Phil,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums! The most likely reason for seeing that message is due to a local firewall or router blocking the connection from your computer to NinjaTrader's license servers. You will need to disable any software which may be blocking the connection before restarting NinjaTrader. If you can add IP exceptions, the following will be needed:

* www.ninjatrader.com

* IP - 74.200.197.238
    * Ports - 80 & 443

* www.ninjatrader-support2.com

* IP - 64.38.21.160
    * Ports - 80 & 443
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the response, Ryan.

I have only Windows 7 firewall (which I made sure NT7 had access through) and Windows Security Essentials. I don't have any dopey Norton or AVG that would cause some highly differentiated outcomes. I attempted to fully disable both the firewall and the security essentials but that had no impact in NT's performance after restarting.

I do have a standard wireless router, but that really hasn't impacted anything else. I'd have to dig to figure out the admin settings for that and they tend to be fickle when you change things so I'd like to try and keep that last resort.

One thing I don't understand however is how the list of connectable service providers are limited and doesn't list the complete one that your connection tutorials suggest.

Thank you again, hopefully we can figure this one out.

Comment

Seeing a limited amount of data providers is a symptom of the failed connection. If you have an opportunity, try plugging the computer directly into the modem rather than through a router. You will want to isolate as many local possibilities as you can. Since the license server is up and there are not other reported cases of this, there's something blocking the connection in-between your computer and the license server. Please let us know if you are not able to make progress.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

1) your license key controls what you see. You need a different one to see tda.

2) tos does not provide any data connection. Only tda.
          There is another thread about emailing tda about getting access for ninjatrader.(recent, like a day ago. Search for tda.)

Originally posted by CaptainFill View Post
          I have just downloaded Ninjatrader 7 after a number of very high remarks to its ability to back test strategies.

My current broker is Think or Swim which has recently merged with TD Ameritrade. I haven't tried to connect to the TD as their systems have likely merged however I am unable to select them from the connections drop down list.

Barchart.com
          Esignal
          Google
          IQfeed
          Kenetick
          Yahoo

I also get this message upon starting NT7 - License Error: Your license could not be verified and is reset to "simulation only" mode.

Is this supposed to happen? I have the free version which doesn't allow live trading so this makes sense, but the notification is a bit annoying.

Phil

Comment

No changes with connecting when directly connected via CAT5.

@Sledge - I will look into that, thank you.

I am attempting to reinstall NT7 but I cannot get past the download using my existing security code.

I've used it with the @, without, spaces, no spaces, hyphens and nothing worked. Should I request a new code?

Comment

I was on the bus earlier.. but here's the 'upgrading' to get TDA data -- re: api

there have been issues recently, but they appear to be cleaned up. ( re: tda backfill issues , connections are spotty at times).

TDA is becoming a bunch of aholes now , istockmanager only available for android >= 2.2 ??

lots of pissed off 2.1 android users on the android market.. all because of some certificate issues from what I can tell

and even NinjaTrader doesn't get any response back from TDA (re: the backfill error issue for the past 6+ months which only got cleared up a few weeks ago but even then no response from TDA to NinjaTrader).

I'm about ready to pull all my $ out of TDA.. I gotta root my damn phone to get access to istockmanager?! JFC

yeah i'm pissed off, sorry.

Originally posted by CaptainFill View Post

Barchart.com
              Esignal
              Google
              IQfeed
              Kenetick
              Yahoo

Phil

Comment

CaptainFill,

A free license that is valid for downloading and all available connections, can be obtain threw registration at: http://www.ninjatrader.com/download-registration.php

Comment

Ryan. Got it! I was able to use my code without the @ to download the program and set it up. I went into Help > License Key and add the @. Everything works fine now.

Thank you

Comment

Glad to hear it, Cap'n. Thanks for following up here.

Comment

I have a TOS account. What is the procedure to connect Ninjatrader to use TOS feed?
                      I will likely use Mirus as my primary after a month or two once I set an account up with them. I currrently have DLd a Mirus demo. I believe it is expired. Do I need a new license key? etc? To run off my Live TOS account. TOS will eventually become my back up data.

EDIT- be advised the FILE>CONNECT>SIMULATEDDATAFEED works fine.
                      Last edited by peregrine; 04-04-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Hello peregrine,

Unfortunately it is not supported to connect to a ThinkOrSwim account in NinjaTrader.

The free license key does not expire. You need to have new Zen-Fire username and password information or check with Mirus Futures if your demo can be extended.
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please note that only TD Ameritrade accounts are supported in NinjaTrader. You cannot connect to ThinkOrSwim (orange) accounts. You can connect to TD Ameritrade and send orders as long as the account is branded as a "green" account.
                          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post philmg
                          by philmg

Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM