Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

what is Ninja so different than stockcharts.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is Ninja so different than stockcharts.com?

I have noticed on several occasions, that the indicators produced by stockcharts tend to be much more 'dynamic' than those of NT. What I mean is that stockcharts tend to show more relative movement in their indicators vs. ninja given the same set up. If I have an indicator that I like in stockcharts, when I go to reproduce the NT version, it tends to be relatively flat. Has anyone ever compared the calculations for stockcharts vs. ninja and found any fundamental difference in the approach to how indicators (or charts for that matter) are calculated/created? It seems that most of the calculations for stockcharts follow closely to the originators formulas. What about NT?

You can compare them side by side, just look at the code for the indicators you're talking about. Tools > Edit Ninjascript > Indicator. Though if I had to guess, I'd say the difference you're seeing is probably due to the scaling rather than the way the indicator is being calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by billr View Post
      I have noticed on several occasions, that the indicators produced by stockcharts tend to be much more 'dynamic' than those of NT. What I mean is that stockcharts tend to show more relative movement in their indicators vs. ninja given the same set up. If I have an indicator that I like in stockcharts, when I go to reproduce the NT version, it tends to be relatively flat. Has anyone ever compared the calculations for stockcharts vs. ninja and found any fundamental difference in the approach to how indicators (or charts for that matter) are calculated/created? It seems that most of the calculations for stockcharts follow closely to the originators formulas. What about NT?
      Please post some concrete examples.

Are you looking intraday? Daily?

Log or Arithmetic charts?

ema's? adx? macd's?

Comment

Radical and sledge, thanks for your posts. I think you are correct that it is a function of scale. I am usually careful about letting something simple like that catch me, but I was frustrated with a data problem (I think) that is causing large flat spots in StochRSI. I checked the calculations and they seem consistent. What I thought was my example for today was corrected when I noticed the stockcharts was set to log. Previously, I ran into an instance where NT would correctly show ATR as a single point at each bar whereas Stockcharts apparently used the difference between points to create bars. This triggered some issues of 'flat' charts. (I am helping someone with indicators so I don't have too much experience in daily use of those in particular and almost none in stockcharts.)

Comment

Hi Billr
          There is a significant difference in StockCharts.com They use split adjusted data! So the price action that the indicator is based on may be different from NinjaTrader.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I hadn't even considered that. Wouldn't have guessed it would have made much difference. Anyway, I think the premise of my question was flawed, as previous posters have made me aware.

Comment

We're generally using industry standard formulas behind our default indicators shipped with NinjaTrader, each formula could be of course reviewed in our NinjaScript editor.

For the differences, I would believe it's most likely due to the differences in data used - we would also have an option to split adjust data, have you checked it out?

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by gemify, 11-11-2022, 11:52 AM
              6 responses
              2 likes
              Last Post ultls
              by ultls

Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:52 PM
              0 responses