No range bar volume for ranges 5 and higher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No range bar volume for ranges 5 and higher

I rolled over ES contract this morning and found that the volume indicator is not displaying volume for range bars 5 and up. Minute volumes are working, tick volumes are working, range bars 1 through 4 are working.

Switched chart back to 3-10 ES contract and range volume is working fine throughout. Problem seems to be with the 6-10 contract.

Using IB data. IB updated trader workstation today. I reloaded the previous version thinking there may be a bug in the new version. I have four range charts running, ranges 4 through 7. Range 4 volume appeared to start working when I switched to IB's previous trader workstation, but I can't be sure that's the problem, because ranges 5, 6 and 7 still display no volume on the 6-10 ES contract.

UPDATE -- Range 5 volume just started working. Maybe with a little movement I'll see 6 and 7 come along as well. They definitely were not working earlier. I did a lot of messing around, rebooting, reloading, etc... don't know if I did anything useful to fix or not.
    Last edited by jmneale; 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM.

Hello jmneale,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the forum.

Can you please clarify which volume indicator you have applied to the chart. Also, can you please attach a screenshot of your chart so that I can compare. To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CRTL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Screenshot

Ryan, here's the screenshot you requested. Thanks.

UPDATE -- You'll notice range 5 started working... maybe the others will start working with some further price movement.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jmneale; 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Can you please right click on the chart and then select Indicators. Highlight the added VOL indicator and please change the calculate on bar close parameter to False.

The issue likely is caused because IB does not provide historical tick data and so tick based charts will be built in real-time. The VOL indicator to be displayed will need a bar to close since the time the indicator was added. Or you can change the parameter I cited above to see volume generated in real-time.

Comment

Thanks

Ryan,

Looks like it's coming around. Ranges 4, 5 and 6 are now showing volume. I suspect Range 7 will follow.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi,

If you right click on the chart and then select Properties you can change Show Unstable Period for Indicators property to True, and you will be able to see all the Volume bars on the chart.

Indicators will not plot until there are 20 bars of historical data, unless you change that in the properties as above.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
            6 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post stafe
            by stafe

Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
            4 responses